Bible Analyzer 5.5 Beta (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Bible Analyzer 5.5 Beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

We have Bible Analyzer 5.5 Linux edition ready to test, but anyone who does will have to install a couple dependencies from the Python pip repository since the files are not yet in any Linux repository.

These instructions are for Ubuntu 22.04 and any distro based on it like Linux Mint 21.

First, you will need to open terminal and assuming you already have PIP installed (it usually is), run these commands in order,

sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
pip install attrdict3
pip install sip == 6.6.2
pip install wxpython

Depending on your system the last one may have to be built before it is installed. This can take some time. 20-30 minutes on my system.

Also, you need Python 3.10 installed. It is the default Python on Ubuntu 22.04.

Once these three are installed then install this v5.5 deb,
www.bibleanalyzer.com/files/bibleanalyzer_5.5-1_all.deb

With any luck Bible Analyzer will start. If it won't, go to Terminal and type,
bibleanalyzer
and post the output.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.5 Beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

I fixed the startup issue (I think) and also the dictionary dropdown crash.
Download same link as in initial post. v5.5.0.32
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Cool! I will back home first week in September and will to test it then. Thanks for your efforts on BA!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I added a new requirement to the top post that must be installed,

sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev

This installs the gtk development libraries needed to build wxpython.
Tim Morton

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Here is another way to install wxpythonusing a precompiled python wheel file that can be installed with pip.

First, if you already installed wxpython, uninstall like this,

pip uninstall wxpython

Then paste this long command in Terminal to reinstall the precompiled version.

(This version will only work on the Ubuntu 22.04 release and other distros that are based on it, like Mint 21)

Code: Select all

pip install https://extras.wxpython.org/wxPython4/extras/linux/gtk3/ubuntu-22.04/wxPython-4.2.0-cp310-cp310-linux_x86_64.whl
Let me know if this seems to work and if so, I'll update the top post instructions.
Tim Morton

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

Installing the pre-compiled wxpython wheel worked for me. Previously BA 5.5 would start up but it was very buggy and prone to crash. When you posted the instructions to install libgtk-3-dev, I did that and then executed the pip command to install wxpython. Then BA would not fully start but popped up the error reporting dialog and then close immediately after I dismissed the dialog. Today I followed your instructions to uninstall wxpython and then install the pre-compiled version and now BA runs.

I'll go ahead and report an obvious problem I see: when BA starts, the S-Pad shows the date and a daily scripture verse. If I click within the S-Pad window (like I'm going to edit the text), the contents are immediately replace with the text "The URL can’t be shown".

Another error I see is if I click the little down-arrow at the end of the Bible tabs in the Bible window to select a Bible that isn't currently visible, the error dialog pops up. I used the dialog to report the error. The same thing happens if I click the down-arrow for the window with the tabs for "IDX", "DBT", and "TSKe". My guess is that the parameters for the DrawText function have changed in the newer version of wxPython. I suspect that all the down-arrows may have the same problem.

Hope that's helpful...
Robert Rathbone

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I'll fix these issues soon.

Glad wxPython finally installed. Hopefully it will be in a repository in Oct.
Tim Morton

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Cool! I will back home first week in September and will to test it then. Thanks for your efforts on BA!

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I sent problem reports to you.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »