Gstreamer error on Linux Mint 18.3

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
lrb605

Gstreamer error on Linux Mint 18.3

Post by lrb605 »

Tim,
I am trying to use the Audio feature of BA on Linux Mint 18.3 . I have downloaded supported audio files, extracted to a single directory and linked them using the link feature. But when I click the window and highlight the passage to play, I get this error:
06:17:34: Media playback error: Resource not found.
06:17:34: Media playback error: GStreamer error: state change failed and some element failed to post a proper error message with the reason for the failure.
06:17:34: Media playback error: Resource not found.
06:17:34: Media playback error: GStreamer error: state change failed and some element failed to post a proper error message with the reason for the failure.
Hopefully I have given you enough info to find a possible solution. I really enjoy Bible Analyzer! It is my go to Bible study program.
Thank you for your help.
lrb605

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Gstreamer error on Linux Mint 18.3

Post by Tim »

Are you using Bible Analyzer 5.2?

Are you on a virtual machine or running a Mint full install? (Some times a VM causes errors like this).
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

lrb605

Post by lrb605 »

I am using Bible Analyzer 5.2.1.25. I am using a full Linux Mint install. I do not have VBox installed on the Linux MInt install.
I also read on the forum where you asked someone to start the BA program by the terminal. This is the reply that I got maybe this will help.
************ Starting Bible Analyzer *************
2.7.12 (default, Oct 8 2019, 14:14:10)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609]
3.0.2.0 gtk2 (classic)

/home/lrb605 App dir
/home/lrb605/Documents/BibleAnalyzer myDocs folder
/home/lrb605/Documents/BibleAnalyzer all users
/home/lrb605/Documents/BibleAnalyzer docs modules folder
/home/lrb605/.config/bibleanalyzer user
TTS is loaded
save scroll
vl already current
dctChanged
PNT
TSKe
Scofield
Wesley
Gray-CC
HenryC
Guzik
Outline
Lightfoot
PrMC
Eze 31:14 0.00909113883972 Index Retrieval Time
1.57969617844 Load time

(ba-run.py:4558): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_origin: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Hope this helps. Thank you for trying to help me!
lrb605

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

I've had the same gstreamer issue for a long time in Linux mint 18.3 and other versions. Audio apps work fine but I can't use the synced audio in Bible Analyzer. The audio/quiz player will play my Scourby audio files inside of BA. I use VLC player to listen to audio while reading along in BA.

I am not running Linux in a virtual machine. I even uninstalled gstreamer and reinstalled it to no avail.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I think the new Linux 5.4 beta may take care of this issue. However, It will only run on Ubuntu 19.10 and later because of dependencies. It will likely be next summer before Mint will have them.

If I get a chance I'll look at the 5.2 code and if it is practical to try and fix it. Normally I wouldn't do this but since v5.4 is currently limited because of its dependencies, I may take a peek.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

lrb605

Post by lrb605 »

Thanks Tim. I am sure that there may be other pressing issues of greater importance. Like wsbones I am using a media player to listen to the downloaded Bible files. If you are able to work it in that will be appreciated. I will one day upgrade to Ubuntu 19.10. Again thank you for trying. I still am impressed with BA. It is an awesome program.
lrb605

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

I installed Ubuntu 19.10 on a new SSD to see if anything changed, and then I downloaded BA and installed it, but I still have the same issue and error messages when using BA 5.2.1.25 to play synced audio.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Bill,

Did you try the 5.4 beta on 19.10?
Tim Morton

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

I didn't try it yet. I will have to reinstall Ubuntu after I got mad at the interface and deleted it :)

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You must have installed the normal "Unity" interface of the standard Ubuntu. I don't like it either. That is the main reason I went to Mint. However, try installing Ubuntu Mate 19.10. It is much better; more like Mint. It also has the option to make it look somewhat like Windows, Mac, and other OSs. See here, https://ubuntu-mate.org/
Tim Morton