Unable to Open BA 5.5 for Mac

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
doughead

Unable to Open BA 5.5 for Mac

Post by doughead »

I just downloaded the new BA for Mac, version 5.5.1, but it will not open. I get an alert that says:

"'Bible Analyzer'" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."
"This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."

Here is a screenshot of the alert:
BA Alert.jpg
BA Alert.jpg (238.03 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Open BA 5.5 for Mac

Post by Tim »

Does it do this when you open it by right-click and select open?

What MacOS are you running and is it Intel or Silicone arch?
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

doughead

Post by doughead »

I'm running Mac OS Ventura (13.0.1). It does this regardless of how I open it — either selecting "OPEN" from the FILE menu, or double-clicking on its icon.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You will either have to right-click and select Open from the menu or (CMD click and do the same) and then click through the warning. If you try to open it normally you will get this message without an option.

Once the app is opened once like this, then you can open it normally.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

doughead

Post by doughead »

I tried right-clicking the app and selecting OPEN from the pop-up menu, but this is the error message I got. The only two options were VISIT WEBSITE and TERMINATE.
Attachments
BA Launch Error.png
BA Launch Error.png (140.31 KiB) Viewed 3094 times

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Ok, what MacOS version are you using? Is it Inten or M chip?

One thing you can try is right click on the app and select Show Package Contents and then run the MacOs/Bible Analyzer 5 file. This will attempt to run it in Terminal and will produce output. Post the output here and I'll take a look.
Tim Morton

doughead

Post by doughead »

I'm running BA on a MacBook Pro (2021) with an M1 Max chip, running OS X Ventura (13.0.1).

When I right-clicked and selected SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS, this is the first error message I received:
1st error message
1st error message
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 8.56.57 AM.png (108.02 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
When I tried again to open the package file, I got this 2nd error message:
1st error message
1st error message
I selected OPEN from this error message, and the Terminal app opened up, and very shortly thereafter I got this 3rd error message:
1st error message
1st error message
Here is the dump from the Terminal app:

Last login: Tue Jan 3 08:50:49 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
/Applications/Bible\ Analyzer.app/Contents/MacOS/Bible\ Analyzer ; exit;
douglass-mbp-2:~ doug$ /Applications/Bible\ Analyzer.app/Contents/MacOS/Bible\ Analyzer ; exit;
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Bible Analyzer.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 145, in _recipes_pil_prescript
import Image
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Image'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Bible Analyzer.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 191, in <module>
_recipes_pil_prescript(['TiffImagePlugin', 'PngImagePlugin', 'FitsImagePlugin', 'XVThumbImagePlugin', 'GbrImagePlugin', 'SgiImagePlugin', 'PsdImagePlugin', 'IcnsImagePlugin', 'MpoImagePlugin', 'DcxImagePlugin', 'PalmImagePlugin', 'IcoImagePlugin', 'BlpImagePlugin', 'WmfImagePlugin', 'Jpeg2KImagePlugin', 'TgaImagePlugin', 'MspImagePlugin', 'WebPImagePlugin', 'CurImagePlugin', 'BufrStubImagePlugin', 'XbmImagePlugin', 'Hdf5StubImagePlugin', 'FliImagePlugin', 'GribStubImagePlugin', 'XpmImagePlugin', 'PcdImagePlugin', 'PixarImagePlugin', 'SpiderImagePlugin', 'BmpImagePlugin', 'DdsImagePlugin', 'ImtImagePlugin', 'JpegImagePlugin', 'FpxImagePlugin', 'PcxImagePlugin', 'McIdasImagePlugin', 'PpmImagePlugin', 'PdfImagePlugin', 'MpegImagePlugin', 'ImImagePlugin', 'FtexImagePlugin', 'FitsStubImagePlugin', 'EpsImagePlugin', 'MicImagePlugin', 'IptcImagePlugin', 'GifImagePlugin', 'SunImagePlugin'])
File "/Applications/Bible Analyzer.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 149, in _recipes_pil_prescript
from PIL import Image
File "PIL/Image.pyc", line 100, in <module>
File "PIL/_imaging.pyc", line 14, in <module>
File "PIL/_imaging.pyc", line 10, in __load
File "imp.pyc", line 343, in load_dynamic
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/Bible Analyzer.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.10/lib-dynload/PIL/_imaging.so, 0x0002): tried: '/Applications/Bible Analyzer.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.10/lib-dynload/PIL/_imaging.so' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64')), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Applications/Bible Analyzer.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.10/lib-dynload/PIL/_imaging.so' (no such file), '/Applications/Bible Analyzer.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.10/lib-dynload/PIL/_imaging.so' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64'))
2023-01-03 08:57:47.613 Bible Analyzer[43499:623658] Launch error
2023-01-03 08:57:47.613 Bible Analyzer[43499:623658] Launch error
See the py2app website for debugging launch issues

Hope that helps.
Attachments
3rd error message
3rd error message
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 8.58.02 AM.png (121.12 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
2nd error message
2nd error message
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 8.57.40 AM.png (147.34 KiB) Viewed 3077 times

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the output.

There is a library that is not yet ready for the ARM64 chip and hopefully it will be updated soon. In the meantime I have uploaded an Intel build that will still run on the M chips (through Rosetta). Try downloading the DMG again and see if it will run. You will still get the warnings because it is not from the Mac App store, but it should run. Other M chip users have had success with it.

Sometimes you have to CMD+Click or Right-Click to get the Open dialog. See this page,
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... h40616/mac
Tim Morton

doughead

Post by doughead »

After deleting the three library files you mentioned I still got the dialog warnings, but was able to get the new version running. It seems to be functioning OK. Subsequent launch attempts did not get the warning dialogs.