5.2 Beta Testing (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
darrel_jw

Re: 5.2 Beta Testing (Linux)

Post by darrel_jw »

Hi Jon
1. Yes I can download but some of the download modules are going into "/home/darrel/documents". It seems to depend on how I download them. If I (for example) go into premium modules and select those dictionaries I have purchased and download them they are being installed in "/home/darrel/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/modules/Dictionary/". But If I elect to "Download Purchased Modules" some go into the documents folder (where I have to move them into the appropriate BA subfolder. Others I have no idea where they are going. I can't find them!

2. My config.ini file is under "/home/darrel/.config/bibleanalyzer/"

3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the state of the Strong's number. When I am in the AVs (or any Strong's encoded Bible) I can click the "S" and it shows the state I have selected, the same as in Windows. Do you mean something else?

I think there is a little bit of work to do on the Linux version yet. I appreciate where Tim has come with it, but may not quite be showtime yet.

Darrel

JPG

Post by JPG »

Thanks Darrel.

The transparently linked Strong's icon highlight shows as SS
0002 Jon theWord_2017-03-22_092643.png
0002 Jon theWord_2017-03-22_092643.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 25476 times
but then when window gets focus it goes.
0003 Jon theWord_2017-03-22_093031.png
0003 Jon theWord_2017-03-22_093031.png (8.21 KiB) Viewed 25476 times
In Windows version it toggles when clicking on the S.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Well, this is interesting. I got curious, so I installed Ubuntu Mate 17.04 Beta (it's due to go live on April 13th) to see if BA for Linux would play better.

1. Alt key now displays alternate text, although getting the highlight to go away has a few glitches!
2. Shift key still does not stop scrolling in the Quick View window
3. Rearranging modules, then closing BA and reopening, loses the new order.

So these issues are not version-specific on Linux. Tim, have you had time to look at these issues in preparation for the next release of BA for Linux?

Darrel

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Gentlemen,

I have been tied up for a few days but now have had a chance to look at your issues. I just uploaded a new beta (same link, 5.2.0.18) that fixes most of these issues, I think.

Check these issues,
  • Moved tab position retained
    Closing with the Parallel tab selected
    Suspend QuickView with Shift key down
The mutual highlighting works for me with both words and Strong's. Remember, though, the StrongEx mod must be loaded for it to work, and also must be loaded to see all the menu items under the Strong's Dropdown.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

JPG

Post by JPG »

Tim, that has fixed all the issues for me except the icon highlight issue I have, mentioned in post above viewtopic.php?p=3436#p3436

When I set the Strong's to link transparent via the menu, the icon has a colored background, but if I pass the mouse pointer over it the background highlight turns off, so it looks like Strong's is not on. Clicking the S twice does not make it appear highlighted again.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The Strong's Button issue appears to be a bug in the underlying wxPython code. If I disable the dropdown menu beside the button the "toggle" indicator will display. But if the dropdown is enabled, the button will not show whether the toggle is on or off. I doubt I can do anything about it, but I'll check.

Also, I forgot to mention the path for titles installed using the Download Manager should be fixed. They should go in the proper folder under modules.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

JPG

Post by JPG »

Tim wrote:The Strong's Button issue appears to be a bug in the underlying wxPython code. If I disable the dropdown menu beside the button the "toggle" indicator will display. But if the dropdown is enabled, the button will not show whether the toggle is on or off. I doubt I can do anything about it, but I'll check.

Also, I forgot to mention the path for titles installed using the Download Manager should be fixed. They should go in the proper folder under modules.
I see. At least there is the note you have in the heading saying that the transparent link mode is on....
Yes I noticed the modules were installing ok. Why is BA installing in the Documents folder?

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Hi Tim,
Sorry for the late response! Just so you know - I am still (currently) using Ubuntu Mate 17.04 (beta)!
1. I concur with Jon's comment on the "S" key

2. BA appears to require the AV1769.bib module to be located at "/home/darrel/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/" rather than "/home/darrel/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/modules/Bible/"

3. Setting Bibles to parallel view, closing and reopening BA, it appears to work beautifully!

4. Shift key is now suspending Quick View scrolling

5. Alt key is highlighting alternate text beautifully and un-highlighting it when I move the mouse!

6. Rearranging modules, closing BA, reopening BA - the modules are keeping their new position.

7. Downloading modules appears mostly ok. When I sync it says I have one new premium module - Exposition on the Whole Bible - Henry. I download it, BA closes and reopens. I do the download again, this time should not have any new modules, and it says I have the same module needing to be downloaded again!

Tim, good job! BA for Linus does appear to be working quite nicely!

Darrel

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

EDIT: Solved. I had a problem in the config.ini that I copied from the windows installation version! :oops:

I hit an issue when trying to hide a commentary tab. I removed all commentaries, re-downloaded all premium commentaries, hid Gill's commentary, did a load/save and got the following error (I can reproduce it at will):
Version: Bible Analyzer 5.2.0.18
Application Path: /home/darrel
Modules Path: /home/darrel/Documents/BibleAnalyzer
User Path: /home/darrel/.config/bibleanalyzer
Current Ref: Gen 6:
Current Bible: AV
Current Dict: Trench
Current Comm: Scofield
Current Word: G5754

Operating System: Linux 4.10.0-14-generic x86_64
System Architecture: 64bit x86_64
Frozen: False

#---- End System Information ----#

#---- Traceback Info ----#

*** Mon Mar 27 15:15:35 2017 ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-521.zip/flatNotebook.py", line 5743, in OnDelete
self.mainApp.sessMan.OnLoad(None)
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-521.zip/sessionMan.py", line 991, in OnLoad
self.mainApp.OnReload()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-521.zip/analyzer5.py", line 7493, in OnReload
self.cpMini.BookViewer.OnSelChanged(None)
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-521.zip/library.py", line 326, in OnSelChanged
elif self.Tree.GetItemParent(parent) and self.Tree.ItemHasChildren(item): # A volume title under a group (root is grandparent and item has children)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_controls.py", line 5385, in GetItemParent
return _controls_.TreeCtrl_GetItemParent(*args, **kwargs)
PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "item.IsOk()" failed at ../src/generic/treectlg.cpp(1389) in GetItemParent(): invalid tree item

#---- End Traceback Info ----#

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I find that TRi.bib must be in the BibleAnalyzer folder, rather than the Bibles folder, in order to be seen as a Bible. Could we have all Bibles seen in the Bibles folder rather than BibleAnalyzer folder?