5.05 and 5.2 hang in Ubuntu 16.10

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
darrel_jw

Re: 5.05 and 5.2 hang in Ubuntu 16.10

Post by darrel_jw »

I have used it on Linux Mint since version 14.10, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu Mate, and several others I cannot recall now. I just read you were initially on Ubuntu 16.10.

Paul Weaver

Post by Paul Weaver »

Was running Ubuntu 16.04 updated to 16.10.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Is that straight Ubuntu or a derivative? If it is straight Ubuntu you might try either ubuntu mate or just go with Linux Mint.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Because Tim develops (and Tim correct me if I am mistaken) on linux Mint you might just go with it. Even though I have played with a lot of derivatives I keep going back to Linux Mint, and now with version 18.3 it just works - with everything I throw at it! So I am pretty much home for good! The only thing that does not play on Linux (except for some minor things that I think Tim is going to fix for the official release of BA 5.2) is the map marking feature, where the Windows version lets you display multiple places on a map. The Linux library does not support that so we can only see one location at a time. Other than that BA for Linux is my "go to" desktop electronic bible, and MySword is my "go to" electronic Bible for my tablet.

Darrel

Paul Weaver

Post by Paul Weaver »

The version of Ubuntu 16.04 I had came straight from the Ubuntu website. I'd had it for a couple of years and kept playing around with it. I began to get discouraged with it when I could never get Wine working. I downloaded a free trial version of Crossover and it seemed to work on it quite well. But I wanted a Bible program that would run natively on Linux. I've tried Xiphos and some others and didn't really like them that much. Esword and theWord are both excellent programs and they both would run on the Ubuntu 16.04 and update 16.10 thru Crossover. Windows 10 stopped working on my laptop a couple years ago, hence the switch to Linux.
I'm running Mint 18.3 now on the laptop and it seems to work well. I'm thinking about partitioning the desktop and installing it there too, getting ready for the day it fails to Work with Windows 10. When Windows 10 updates I nearly always have to reinstall drivers that the updates remove. Microsoft tells me that my computer is just too old.
I run Acordance 12.2 on the Windows desktop, along with Wordsearch 11.0 and within the last few months I've been using BA 5.2 on it more and more. I've bought a lot of books for Wordsearch and I can still access them all via MyWSB no matter what operating system I'm on as long as I have an Internet connection.
I installed BA 5.2 on the Linux Mint 18.3 and I've thrown everything I can think of at it and it works great. Thank you, Tim :D . I rarely do much with maps so that's not much of an issue for me. I do like using the language features of Bible Analyzer and a big thank you to Tim that they are very affordable :D .

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I ran e-Sword for a LONG time, then switched to theWord probably 5 years ago and have now been with BA for quite awhile. I have 32 Gib of apps on theWord, just about everything BA has to offer and about 4 Gib of apps on MySword. I have played with Xiphos quite a bit, but don't really care for it. Tim is so easy to work with, and BA has grown so much over the last several years, and it has developed into a very powerful original language study tool. I have incorporated Eliran Wong's Hebrew material into BA which has further enhanced the Hebrew side. I run all his material on MySword, which gives me a powerful tool to study no matter where I am using my Kindle Fire HD 8 tablet. Tim has been slowed down for a bit with new family issues (congrats Tim!), but hopefully will be picking up again before long.
I don't use Crossover, 'cause just installing the latest Wine all my windows apps run beautifully. If I have any that won't run in Wine I start Virtual Box and run them in Windows 7. I had been with windows since before it was windows, then left that environment 6 years ago and have never looked back.

Darrel

mitch_j

Post by mitch_j »

I ran into this, it seems to be an issue with how it is called.

This seemed to hang:
/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-run.py

But this works:
python2 -u /opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-run.py

It needs to have the #! declared in the first line pointing to python. I just changed the script to call it like the second example.

.\\itch - Knowledge is the bare collection of facts which a man has at his disposal.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I think this is already fixed in the current beta.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)