Bible Analyzer in Mageia Linux

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
epement

Bible Analyzer in Mageia Linux

Post by epement »

This may show that I am less informed, so if that is the case, please help me out. I want to run Bible Analyzer on Mageia Linux. I downloaded the install file, which has a .deb (Debian) file extension. I used the "alien" utility to convert the *.deb package to *.rpm (Redhat Package Manager) format, and tried to install using Mageia's "urpmi" installer. The start script ba-512.py was not executable, but that was an easy fix. There are some missing Python modules, especially espeak. I haven't figured out where to put them. I also have a version mismatch in the Python gtk modules, even though I have both version 2 and version 3 installed.

If anyone has some tips or experience in getting this working for an rpm environment or Mageia in particular, please let me know. I will be glad to post the error messages I see. (There are only two.) Thanks in advance.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer in Mageia Linux

Post by Tim »

Bible Analyzer has not been tested on an RPM distro, but you are welcome to try and get it going.

Bible Analyzer has a few dependencies for v5.2 including,
python 2.7
python-wxgtk3.0
python wxmedia3.0
python-espeak

plus a couple others.

Try starting Bible Analyzer from Terminal by going to the folder ba521.py is in and run it "python2 ba521.py" The output will help narrow the others down.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

If I recall there is a post somewhere on the board about someone getting BA to install on a RPM, and I think it went pretty smooth. But that was a year or two previously. You search and should be able to find it.

Darrel

epement

Post by epement »

Tim wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:39 pm
Bible Analyzer has a few dependencies for v5.2 including,
python 2.7
python-wxgtk3.0
python wxmedia3.0
python-espeak
Hi Tim. Python 2 reaches end-of-life status as of January 2020, about 1 month from now. I trust that you're porting everything over to Python 3. https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3

As for the other dependencies for python-wxgtk3.0 and wxmedia3.0, from what I can see those are Ubuntu-specific python modules. What would happen if I just downloaded them from Ubuntu (https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keyw ... n-wxgtk3.0) and tried to install them on a Mageia system?
Tim wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:39 pm
Try starting Bible Analyzer from Terminal by going to the folder ba521.py is in and run it "python2 ba521.py" The output will help narrow the others down.
Here are my results:

Code: Select all

[root@localhost bibleanalyzer]# python2 ba-run.py 
2.7.17 (default, Nov  1 2019, 09:28:08) 
[GCC 8.3.1 20190524]
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_core.py:16629: UserWarning: wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch
  warnings.warn("wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch")
3.0.2.0 gtk2 (classic)

/opt/bibleanalyzer App dir
/root/Documents/BibleAnalyzer myDocs folder
/root/Documents/BibleAnalyzer all users
/root/Documents/BibleAnalyzer docs modules folder
/root/.config/bibleanalyzer user
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ba-run.py", line 6, in <module>
    import analyzer5
  File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-521.zip/analyzer5.py", line 52, in <module>
  File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-521.zip/speech.py", line 2, in <module>
  File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/espeak.py", line 21, in <module>
    from . import core
ValueError: Attempted relative import in non-package
Finally, have you thought about using something like AppImage, which allows you to distribute a compilation for any Linux system, without worrying about dependencies and variant distros? https://appimage.org/

If you haven't heard of this before, it might be helpful.

May you have a blessed Thanksgiving, and thanks so much for all your work.

Yours/His,
Eric Pement

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, you can try getting them from Ubuntu and installing them on your system.

It looks like it is hanging up on the espeak module. It may not be the correct one there are a few different ones. The python-espeak at Ubuntu should be it.

I have looked into AppImage, Flatpak, and Snap packages and they each have their disadvantages. One of the main ones is they are in a sandboxed environment making the downloading of modules very difficult.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

epement

Post by epement »

Hi Tim, and thanks for your quick response.
Tim wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:53 am
I have looked into AppImage, Flatpak, and Snap packages and they each have their disadvantages. One of the main ones is they are in a sandboxed environment making the downloading of modules very difficult.
According to the documentation, AppImage does not use sandboxing, but AppImage has the capability for it if desired.

For example, the home page (https://appimage.org/) says if you want to run it in a sandbox, Firejail is one way to do it. See also: Hope this helps, and thanks again for answering!
Eric Pement

epement

Post by epement »

Hi Tim,

I finally decided that I would rather have Bible Analyzer than have Mageia Linux, so I replaced Mageia with the latest version of Linux Mint (19.3, "Tricia") , in order to install and use Bible Analyzer with a minimum of headache.

I guess this closes this thread! :-)
Eric Pement

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Yes, it runs nice on both Linux Mint 19.3 and Ubuntu Mate 19.10 - except Hebrew RTL does not play. But Tim is rewriting BA to play on the latest Ubuntu derivatives (right Tim?)

Darrel :lol: