BibleAnalyzer 5.4 - Snap?

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
jastombaugh

BibleAnalyzer 5.4 - Snap?

Post by jastombaugh »

Tim,

What are your thoughts on putting BA into a 'snap' format? Was reading through:
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/c ... rst-snap#0
And it seemed like it, potentially, could help with the changing 'dependency' issues.

Obviously, Python 3 is where everything is going now, but after reading how many hours it took to update BA5.2 to BA5.4 in Python3, it seemed like there might be a better way.

I wish I knew more about Python, or even making Snaps to be of some assistance, but was curious what your thoughts were on the idea?

Anyone else on here have any experience or familiarity with Snapcraft, or building and publishing Snaps?

Praying for you, congratulations on the new addition to the family, and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BibleAnalyzer ON LINUX!!! I STILL cannot believe we have access to THIS level of software!

jastombaugh

Re: BibleAnalyzer 5.4 - Snap?

Post by jastombaugh »

The Snaps tutorial uses a 'Tarball' file as it's source code. I'm not sure if the '.deb' I download from the BA/downloads/ page will work.

Tim
Site Admin

Re: BibleAnalyzer 5.4 - Snap?

Post by Tim »

I have looked into AppImage, Flatpak, and Snap packages and they each have their disadvantages. One of the main ones is they are in a sandboxed environment making the downloading of modules very difficult if not impossible.

Lord willing I'll get v5.4 finished this winter. As stated it is based on Python 3 and there are a lot of changes that must be made to port from P2.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)