RTL Languages

Deals with using and making modules and other resources
Tim
Site Admin

RTL Languages

Post by Tim »

We have received requests over the years for Bible Analyzer to better support Right-To-Left languages such as Hebrew, Arabic, Persian (or Farci). We recently received a request from Great Britain for the Persian language from a brother who evangelizes Iranian immigrants.

The issue was the GUI and page display tools Bible Analyzer uses does not support RTL languages mixed with English very well. However, since there was a need I did some hacking around and added some code to mirror certain elements in the Bible Panel, ref. popups, and MultiWindow displays and got a nice working system for RTL languages.

Here is an image of the Westminster Leningrad Codex w/Strongs Numbers and below it an image of the Smith/Van Dyke Arabic Bible.
wlc.png
wlc.png (36.35 KiB) Viewed 73154 times
svd.png
svd.png (31.81 KiB) Viewed 73154 times
These will be available within the next couple weeks or so. We will announce it here in the forum and newsletter.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

rokas

Re: RTL Languages

Post by rokas »

Westminster Leningrad Codex w/Strongs Numbers is awesome! :shock: :D

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Has this been uploaded yet? I just downloaded WLCs and it still displays as left-to-right.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Either I am missing something or RTL is not implemented yet? Please help.

Darrel

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Do I have to go into the interlinear to see RTL? Does the bible window not show RTL?

Darrel

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Windows will do RTL in the Bible panel, Linux won't.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

So it is not an issue with Linux, but the way you have coded in BA. Both Xiphos and Unique Bible App display RTL beautifully (these are Linux apps!). theWord, which is a Windows app that runs under Wine, displays RTL perfectly.

Darrel

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I'm not sure why you want to argue this, but a few years ago RTL texts DID display correctly in Linux in the Bible Analyzer Bible panel. Linux made a significant change to their window manager and broke the RTL functionality with the wxWidgets/wxPython window page display manager. It still doesn't work.

To get the BA Interlinear to work on Linux I had to use a completely different page manager, an HTML display which is the core of most web browsers. That way Linux users can view the text correctly even though the regular Bible Panel can't.

It would take a huge amount of work to convert the Bible panel to a different page display like the Interlinear and Lord only knows if it will ever be done, but the Interlinear display will do essentially everything that can be done in the Bible panel so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Tim Morton

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

The big issue is the interlinear only uses WLCi, so my other Hebrew bibles are left at LTR.