Text Format of Various Modules

Deals with using and making modules and other resources
Tim
Site Admin

Text Format of Various Modules

Post by Tim »

Creating Custom Modules for Bible Analyzer

There are two steps involved in making a database module for Bible Analyzer.

1. Formatting the raw text
2. Converting the formatted text into the database format.

In this post we will look at formatting the raw text. Bible Analyzer version 3.7 will include a utility to convert the formatted text into a module.

Formatting Raw Text
Below we will deal with formatting each module type separately.

Bibles
Bible texts are simple to format. Each line must contain a single reference and verse separated by a tab. Texts can also contain italics tags (<i>, </i>) and red-letter tags (<r>, </r>). Strong's numbers can be included with the number in brackets after the word. For instance,

(The [tab] represents a tab from the keyboard Tab key)

Gen 1:1[tab]In the beginning...
Gen 1:4[tab]And God saw the light, that <i>it was</i> good...
Mat 5:5[tab]<r>Blessed <i>are</i> the poor in spirit....</r>
Gen 1:1[tab]In the beginning[7225] God[430] created[853] [1254] the heaven[8064]...

The book references must be the three letter abbreviation found in the Bible Tree in Bible Analyzer. There can not be more than 31102 lines/verses. The entire Bible does not have to be included, but it is best if divisions are between books or chapters. Also, it is best if the reference is still listed for omitted verses within a chapter.

Act 8:37[tab](Omitted)

Commentaries
Commentary texts are much the same except the comment is placed after the tab. Also, references can be for books or chapters alone, and can span verses.

Gen[tab]Comment for the whole book
Gen 1:[tab]Comment for the chapter
Gen 1:1[tab]This is commentary for a single verse...
Gen 1:2-4[tab]This comment spans a range of verses...

Dictionaries
Dictionary texts are very similar. Format them like this, topic [tab] definition on a single line.

Abba [tab]The definition goes here.

Devotions
Devotions should number 366 (one for each day) and be formatted as, month [tab] day [tab] devotion on a single line,

2[tab]29[tab]This is the devotion for February 29, leap day.
7[tab]4[tab]This is the devotion for July 4.

Books
Library books are a little different. They do not need to be compiled into the Bible Analyzer database format. They are only slightly modified HTML files. Books of a single chapter need no modification except they must conform the the available tags listed below.

Multi-chapter books must have the chapter title and chapter body on a single line separated by a tab.

Chapter 1[tab]Chapter body goes here...

All texts must have a title within title tags,

<title>My book Title Goes Here</title>

Open any book included with Bible Analyzer in a text editor (Notepad++ is good) for an example.

List of Supported HTML Tags
(These can be used in all modules and books)

A NAME=[string]
HREF=[url]
TARGET=[target window spec]
ADDRESS
AREA SHAPE=POLY
SHAPE=CIRCLE
SHAPE=RECT
COORDS=[coords]
HREF=[url]
B
BIG
BLOCKQUOTE
BODY TEXT=[color]
LINK=[color]
BGCOLOR=[color]
BR ALIGN=[alignment]
CENTER
CITE
CODE
DD
DIV ALIGN=[alignment]
DL
DT
EM
FONT COLOR=[color]
SIZE=[fontsize]
FACE=[comma-separated list of facenames]
HR ALIGN=[alignment]
SIZE=[pixels]
WIDTH=[percent|pixels]
NOSHADE
H1
H2
H3
H4
H5
H6
I
IMG SRC=[url]
WIDTH=[pixels]
HEIGHT=[pixels]
ALIGN=TEXTTOP
ALIGN=CENTER
ALIGN=ABSCENTER
ALIGN=BOTTOM
USEMAP=[url]
KBD
LI
MAP NAME=[string]
META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
CONTENT=[string]
OL
P ALIGN=[alignment]
PRE
SAMP
SMALL
STRIKE
STRONG
SUB
SUP
TABLE ALIGN=[alignment]
WIDTH=[percent|pixels]
BORDER=[pixels]
VALIGN=[v_alignment]
BGCOLOR=[color]
CELLSPACING=[pixels]
CELLPADDING=[pixels]
TD ALIGN=[alignment]
VALIGN=[v_alignment]
BGCOLOR=[color]
WIDTH=[percent|pixels]
COLSPAN=[pixels]
ROWSPAN=[pixels]
NOWRAP
TH ALIGN=[alignment]
VALIGN=[v_alignment]
BGCOLOR=[color]
WIDTH=[percent|pixels]
COLSPAN=[pixels]
ROWSPAN=[pixels]
TITLE
TR ALIGN=[alignment]
VALIGN=[v_alignment]
BGCOLOR=[color]
TT
U
UL
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Re: Text Format of Various Modules

Post by Brother Mike »

Excellent information. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for posting it. I am looking forward to studing it in more depth.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Is it possible, in a commentary, to reference a local file?

Say, an mp3 file of the chapter text on the local hard drive, could be played by clicking the link on a chapter in a module.

ie

Gen 1 (tab) <a href="file:///~/audiobible/01_Genesis/01_Genesis001.mp3>Play the MP3 audio file</a>

This would be a Linux version. How are home directories handled in the Windows and Linux version? Can you reference the home dir and have it work in both versions?

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, that is possible for the platform, but the code is not yet implemented in Bible Analyzer to do it. I will look into it.

Windows and Linux handle files and folders differently. That is one of the things that must be changed in the code from one to another.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hello Tim,

Nice to see that hyperlinks are implemented as a feature in BA 3.9. Also nice that the whole program runs with utf8 unicode. Unicode for non latin script Bibles/books is the future, not at least when you copy some words in Greek of Hebrew to past it in Word or OpenOffice.

But making a dictionary with Greek words as topics isn't possible. BA says that errors occur while making the dictionary. I use correct formated texts of one or more lines in utf8 but it doesn't work. Any idea?

Johan
As for Me and My Mouse, We Will Serve the Lord.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The Module Creation Tools are still in beta and do not fully support Unicode or UTF-8 encoding. Also, there is a minor issue with Unicode displaying in the Dictionary list boxes. However, if you want to send me the raw file you are using (or part of it), I'll see what can be done until the Tools deal with Unicode better.
Tim Morton

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hello Tim,

Here is the link
http://theologicallibraryportal.yolasit ... iblios.txt

With kind regards,

Johan

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Helo Tim,

My problem seems to be partly a Linux problem.
In de Windows version I can convert with the Module Tools a Greek morphological dictionary with UTF8 text as keyword, viewing in de Windows version is also oke, the only problem is that when you click on a word, the big dictionary window says that the word is not found, but the entrylist shows a positive result. What's the problem?

In Linux it is not possible to convert the dictionary with the Module Creation Tools and the Windows version don't work, according to the program there are no entries in the dictionary.

Besides this, there are more errors in the Linux version, but maybe I must post it under another head.

It seems to me that in some respect the work you do is ungrateful because after a new release many users offer their critism of things not working, I also. But remember that I continue to be a loyal user with much respect the work you have done.

Be productive in the Lord!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

It sounds like it may be an encoding issue in both instances. The Module Creation Tools are still beta versions and will not work with some texts. In version 4 we hope to refine the creation tools.

If you can send a few lines of the raw text you are using I may be better able to determine the issue. The link you sent earlier (http://theologicallibraryportal.yolasit ... iblios.txt) is not working.

Linux is a different world than Windows. Some things just won't work without some tweaking, if work at all. However, if the module works in Windows it more than likely will work in Linux with some tweaking.

Don't worry about reporting any issues you may have. We encourage it. There are some things we miss and others that cannot be reproduced on our systems.

Thanks for your interest in Bible Analyzer.
Tim Morton

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hello Tim,

Here two links, one of the source file and one of the compiled file of my dictionary.

http://theologicallibraryportal.yolasit ... k-utf8.csv

http://theologicallibraryportal.yolasit ... ionary.dct

With kind regards,

Johan