List of search hits

Suggestions and Ideas about new features
rubeng

List of search hits

Post by rubeng »

I apologize beforehand if this is already available and I have somehow missed it.

After running an advanced search, Strong's search, English stemming search or simply a wildcard search, I would like to see a list of all the different words found (hits). Currently, I have the full verses appear in the Results window (or a snippet of each verse) and the hits highlighted, but I'd like to have a simple way to see each hit and the number of occurrences listed. So, for instance, if I search for "love*", I'd expect to see something like this:

love 179
loved 42
lovely 1
lover 2
lovers 3
love's 1
lovest 5
loveth 27

Also, right now the Word List button exports all of the words found in the verses listed. Would it be possible to have an option to export only the hit words?

Thanks for your consideration!

Tim
Site Admin

Re: List of search hits

Post by Tim »

True, the normal search results do not show the word forms found from a string or wildcard search, but there is another way to find them with even more detail.

In the Master Control Panel go to "Bible Word Lists" and select "Word Form From String." Enter "lov" there and you will get all the words that start with "lov" with a count. Below will be a linked reference list to each instance of each word form. Also, you can find words with the string within the word or at the end.

This word list method is really just a wildcard search.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

rubeng

Post by rubeng »

I see what you mean, but if I run a search with stemming on, or a Strong's search, then I couldn't get those word lists of hits at all, right? I guess what I'm trying to say is that the results window seems to me to be the most intuitive way to access these kinds of results. Thoughts?

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, that's something that could be added to the search results. I'll put it in the to do list.

The Word List feature was mainly just to provide a list of the words, but since the code had to do a search to get the list, I added the references also.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

rubeng

Post by rubeng »

Thank you very much!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I added a basic search hits chart to the search results. In most cases it will work as expected with multiple words and wildcards. However, it will only show the results for the current results page.

Because some search results can become very large, the results are broken down to 300 verses per page. The chart will only reflect the results on that page. With less than 300 verses, the chart will reflect the totals.

Here is a sample wildcard search for lov*,
wordforms.jpg
wordforms.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 21212 times
The best search methods to get the wordforms in the chart is to use multiple words or wildcards. (Just unchecking the Whole Word option will not provide them.) For instance,

Entering
"born again" regen*
under "Any Word or Phrase" will find and list,

born again 3
regeneration 2

This is now available to test with the 5.2 beta.
Tim Morton