Dates in the reference panel

Suggestions and Ideas about new features
kathleenmarie

Dates in the reference panel

Post by kathleenmarie »

Would it be possible to add dates to the reference panel somehow?

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Dates in the reference panel

Post by Tim »

Do you mean the generally accepted year a Bible passage was written?
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

The date of the event, not when the book was written. I know there is controversy, so different modules could be prepared for purchase. I personally would like the traditional Ussher or Scofield dates.

The hardcopy versions of both Common Man and Scofield have dates on each page above the references, but I don't see any dates in the software.

Are there any modules where it is easy to access the date of the events in each chapter? I would prefer the simplicity of the reference panel, but right now, other than the Ussher timeline, I have not found any dates of events.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

These could be added if we had a database with that data. Say a year for each chapter.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

Tim wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:35 pm
These could be added if we had a database with that data. Say a year for each chapter.
A year for each chapter would be so awesome.

I have seen hardcopy versions of TSK and Matthew Henry commentaries with the dates listed at the head of the chapter.

Some of the study Bibles have the date at the head of the page, but not the chapter. If you used those dates, you could just add the date before the first reference which is usually "a". Yes, I just looked at my Kindle version of Oxford Scofield Bible and the dates are right before "a".

Older Halley Handbook had many more dates that have now been removed. They provide the dates added to the outlines of each book.

I was thinking what a nice video it would make to talk about the 5 W's and be able to advertise "when". No other software that I know of uses the Ussher dates and makes them handy and affordable. The major software distributors use many translations and are so slippery about dates. They cannot or will not do what you might be able and willing to do.

If you could cover the when along with the already completed People and Places dictionaries, it is worthy of a video and a new module for sale.

Right now, I have to keep my Kindle open during Bible study just for the dates. I would be willing to pay not to have to do that anymore.

People have been asking for the Scofield references. As far as I know, no software offers them. I'd be happy to pay for them as a module for the reference panel. I really love the reference panel and the color coded people and places. Running searches is not as friendly as hovering and clicking on what I already see.

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

Maybe a 3rd color added to the AVp translation? That would give you freedom to just add dates where they were easy to add, and not be trapped into providing a date for each chapter.

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

In my Olive Tree Software, I run the Reece KJV Chronological Bible parallel to the standard bible that I am reading. Doing this gives me instant access to a date by scrolling a chapter or less of the Reece Bible.

I wonder whether there is any way to add and sync the Reece Bible into BA.

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

Another resource that I have stumbled upon is the work that World Video Bible School is doing. I wonder is they have compiled more dates than what is on the chart, and if they might want their work added to software.

10 Video lessons
https://video.wvbs.org/program/biblical-timeline/

PDF
https://store.wvbs.org/wp-content/uploa ... meline.pdf

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

Another thought. There are so many partial resources for dates. If there were a tab for Dates, along with the tabs for Dictionaries and Commentaries, the gaps could be handled the same way?

I don't think I am the only person willing to pay for easy to access date modules.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I'm willing to put the dates in a module. I was thinking of putting available dates in the TSKe module. That way all one would have to do is look at the TSKe cross-refs tab and see the date at the top. See circled area in image below for a possibility.

The TSKe is keyed to each verse and I know that date are usually linked to only a chapter. However, if someone can supply me a list of Bible chapters with dates, I can make them link to each verse as well.

dates.png
dates.png (56.61 KiB) Viewed 48066 times
Tim Morton