is there a way to link to BA verses for use in other apps?

Suggestions and Ideas about new features
kenfhill84083

is there a way to link to BA verses for use in other apps?

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Is there a way to link to Bible Analyzer verses for use in other apps?

I keep my Bible notes in RightNote. I often have Bible references for which I would like to be able to click in RN and open to that verse, in a particular translation, in BA.

You can do this in Logos by pressing ctrl-alt-C. Those links look like this : logosres:nasb95;ref=BibleNASB95.Mt11.28-30

If this is currently available in BA I'd appreciate some instruction.

If not, could this functionality be added to BA?

Thanks

Tim
Site Admin

Re: is there a way to link to BA verses for use in other apps?

Post by Tim »

Yes, Bible Analyzer has a feature that will do this...or did. It was introduced in v5.1 and I received essentially no feedback on it since. Using specially formatted links in a web page Bible Analyzer will open and display a verse. It would also display a verse list, do searches, and open specific chapters in books and other resources. I don't know if it will wirk with your note editor or not, but here is a demo page that lists and demobstrates the features,

https://www.bibleanalyzer.com/BALinksTest.html

With Bible Analyzer installed on the same system try clicking some of the links and see if Bible Analyzer will open display the verse.

Some of these links may not work because of code changes since v5.1, but I think the simple open a reference link still works.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

epement

Post by epement »

Wow, Tim, this is a great idea! Very nice to see this implemented. You said, "I received essentially no feedback on it" since implementing it, but I was not aware of the Links Test page, and it's not possible to navigate to it from the menu on the web site (Home, Features, Download, Modules ...). It should be promoted more.

I tested all the links with Google Chrome on my Windows 10 with the latest version of Bible Analyzer. All the links worked except one:

bibleanalyzer://search+av/born|again
Search for "born" and "again"

This had three problems. (1) The description should say to search for "born" or "again", since the pipe symbol is an OR operator. (2) The pipe is converted to %7c in the search panel using "percent encoding", even though the pipe is passed literally in the hyperlink. I tried to overcome the automatic conversion using a backslash, but it didn't help. (3) The "//search" method invokes an "Every Word" search instead of a "RegEx" search, so even if a literal pipe symbol were inserted, the search would fail. I couldn't figure out how to change the search method.

In terms of how this might look on a web page, the Chosen People web site offers a very similar hyperlink structure, in which they link Bible verses to either Biblia.com or else to a pre-installed version of Logos (a/k/a Libronix). See this sample page to see how they did it. Look for the tiny "L" in a circle.

I did notice one thing that needs attention. If Bible Analyzer is already active, the hyperlinks will end in an error condition, which I will try to paste to this message. Maybe it will be possible to trap this error and avoid it.
Attachments
BA_error.png
BA_error.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 15285 times
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The error dialog you are getting is because the app is trying to write a .log file to the Program Files/Bible Analyzer folder and this folder is write protected by default. You can change the permissions of the folder but you will still get a message that a log was made. This is a needless notification that I will suppress with v5.5

The OR search with the pipe symbol (born|again) error is caused by the browsers now converting the pipe to an html entity (%7c). I changed the code to compensate for it in the v5.5 beta so everything will work.

I will reannounce this feature with v5.5 which should be ready to test soon. I'll also put a section in the User Manual that has a link to the test page so people can see it work.

I realize only a small fraction od users may find this of any value, but being able to open Bible Analyzer to essentially any verse, topic, comment, or chapter, from a link may be helpful to some.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Tim wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:06 am
The error dialog you are getting is because the app is trying to write a .log file to the Program Files/Bible Analyzer folder and this folder is write protected by default. You can change the permissions of the folder but you will still get a message that a log was made. This is a needless notification that I will suppress with v5.5

The OR search with the pipe symbol (born|again) error is caused by the browsers now converting the pipe to an html entity (%7c). I changed the code to compensate for it in the v5.5 beta so everything will work.

I will reannounce this feature with v5.5 which should be ready to test soon. I'll also put a section in the User Manual that has a link to the test page so people can see it work.
I have version 5.5.1.12 and I am getting the same error as reported earlier in the thread. I am on a Windows 11 machine.

I am one of the ones who uses this all the time in my notes when referring to Logos pages. Very convenient. Thanks for any help on this.

kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Tim wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:01 pm
Yes, Bible Analyzer has a feature that will do this...
Would it be possible to develop a more automatic way of getting these links? In Logos you just have to press Ctrl+Alt+C to copy the URI to the clipboard (examples: logosres:ntsk;ref=Bible.Ro14; logosres:csbstudybible; ref=BibleHCSB.Ro14.1-15.13;off=21). Then you can paste it into a hyperlink dialog in another program.

A similar Bible Analyzer URI-grabber hotkey or a right-click option or somesuch would make using BA linking more convenient and more foolproof and less tedious.

Thanks.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, this would be pretty easy to do. I'll consider it for the next version.
Tim Morton