Cut Off Text and Truncated Windows

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
Tim
Site Admin

Cut Off Text and Truncated Windows

Post by Tim »

Some Windows users of Bible Analyzer have had issues with truncated windows and cut off text in dialogs and buttons, like this where the text has expanded inside the window to where the buttons are not visible,
truncated.png
truncated.png (67.84 KiB) Viewed 40466 times
This is cause by various "Text Size" settings in Windows.

In Windows 7 it is usually caused by the setting not at the default 100% under Control Panel/Display,
win7 size b.png
win7 size b.png (39.86 KiB) Viewed 40466 times
This must be set to 100% for Bible Analyzer to appear properly.

In Win 10 the settings are different. There the culprit is usually the "Change Only The Text Size" entry under the Display options. As seen in the image below there are six areas where the font size can be changed from the default 9pt. The one that causes an issue in Bible Analyzer is the "Message Boxes" setting. This must remain at 9 for BA to display correctly. The others, such as "Title Bar," "Menu" can be changed if desired.
win 10 size.png
win 10 size.png (20.49 KiB) Viewed 40466 times
The Settings/Display page in Win 10 has an option to increase the size of everything on the page by dragging the slider to the right. It does not seem to affect the layout of windows or text like the "Message Boxes" issue above,
10 settings.png
10 settings.png (51.18 KiB) Viewed 40466 times
These images were taken on a desktop system. If you are running Win 10 on a tablet, the options may be different.

I hope this helps resolve the issues some are having. If you still have them, let me know.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

kenfhill84083

Re: Cut Off Text and Truncated Windows

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Thanks for the info. I had message boxes set to 10pt. BA windows seem to work now.

But to me, this is a kind of workaround. I stopped using WORDsearch partly because it was joined at the hip to windows explorer internet options for aspects of text display (that may be different now with WS 11). Sometimes WS didn't work correctly if microsoft made changes to IE.

Here, I have to use a specific windows setting. I suspect I changed the setting initially in an attempt to help my old, tired eyes a bit (my old, tired brain doesn't remember for sure). Generally, I don't like to be forced to change windows settings just so one particular program will run properly.

I hope you have plans to make these windows resizable - with the new size being persistent between sessions. Or, as an inferior solution, to add scroll bars.

Anyway, again, thanks for the tips. Now I can give BA a real test drive.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, I'll make more of the windows and dialogs resizable in the final v5.1.

Again, if you want to increase the size of everything, setting the slider to 125% (or more) will not change the layout of flowing text in windows. It seems only the "Message boxes" setting does that.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

How do these settings change for Linux? And do these settings (Application font, Document font, Desktop font, Window title font, Fixed width font) have an effect on boxes (for example, Download Manager and not seeing the Select box until I make the window larger)?

Darrel

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The various Linux distros have different font and spacing sizes that can fill a dialog or window before others. I made most of the windows and dialogs resizable to try and compensate.
Tim Morton

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Thanks Tim for the response. Yes, I can resize the windows and they work. It would be nice to have those settings saved in the config.ini file and therefore hold the next time you start BA? Just a thought! :)

Darrel