Suggestion for Version 5.0.2

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
doughead

Suggestion for Version 5.0.2

Post by doughead »

I feel either an installer, or at least some instructions, should have been provided for this version. I spent half an hour trying to figure out why all my modules had vanished. I tried redownloading them via the Module Download Manager, but a substantial number of my purchased modules did not show up. I eventually discovered (quite by accident) that the new version had resorted to a new location for its modules folder (User Library folder), and had not recognized my existing modules in the old location (System Library folder). I had to manually copy files from one folder to the other via the Finder, and eventually got everything back to normal, but in the process encountered one application crash. Only after having done all this did I accidentally discover the "Copy Modules from the v4 Location to the v5 Location" menu item under the "Tools" menu. A little explanation at the beginning would have avoided a lot of headache. Perhaps an installer app might be appropriate.

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for Version 5.0.2

Post by Tim »

Yes, we could have offered more instructions for current users of the Mac edition, I suppose. It was posted on this forum and we placed this in our newsletter last month where v5 was announced,
  • Note:
    v5 places the modules in a new location. v4 users must run Tools/Copy Modules From v4 Location to v5 Location to access all your modules.
Maybe we can add a "ReadMe" file in the IMG, but I have found users rarely read them.

Apple's preferred way of distribution software is by an IMG file. It has its advantages and disadvantages but seems to work OK for new users. They have not updated their package development software for years and may even discontinue it.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

doughead

Re: Suggestion for Version 5.0.2

Post by doughead »

Thank you for your prompt reply. Unless I experience bugs or problems, I never get on the forums, so I didn't know about the info. I think the Read Me file would be the best (and easiest) option. If you named it "Installation Instructions" rather than "Read Me" perhaps it would get people to look at it. Anyway, thanks again.