NET Bible transliteration, fonts, version

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
epement

NET Bible transliteration, fonts, version

Post by epement »

Hi. I have Bible Analyzer and use it on both Windows 10 and on Linux Cinnamon Mint, installing the most recent version of Bible Analyzer available for each operating system. Thank you so very much for making this software!

I recently purchased the NET Bible with full notes, and have downloaded and installed it on both Windows and Linux.

There appear to be 3 issues with the version that is installed:
(1) English transliteration of Greek letters is wrong. E.g., should be ho kurios, not Jo kurio"; and ho theos instead of Jo qeo".
(2) Font mistakes. E.g, the capital-I-with-umlaut should be a black-letter-italic-M; the capital-I-with-grave-accent should be a black-letter-italic-P.
(3) The version online at Bible.org has newer content than the version downloaded from the Bibie Analyzer store. If we are purchasing a down-level or older version of the NET Bible notes, the product description should warn us about this.

Bible Analyzer display of James 1.12, note 2:

NET Bible display of James 1.12, note 2:

If special fonts need to be installed to read the NET Bible notes, where are the fonts and where should they be installed?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Tim
Site Admin

Re: NET Bible transliteration, fonts, version

Post by Tim »

Yes, this is the previous version of the NET Bible. Around 2008-10 I think. True, this info should be listed on the product page. I'll add it soon.

It appears the developers of the NET Bible are now using a different, bigger publisher. I wrote the new publisher asking about getting the latest version and they never replied. Unless they license it to us to distribute, there is nothing we can do. The text of the version we have is as they sent it to us. It is clear they have updated the notes as well.

If you want a refund of your NET purchase, just send me an email stating so.

Sorry for the confusion.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

epement

Post by epement »

Tim, is there a remedy for fix for the font issue?

Is there a regex replace that I can do to fix the transliteration problem?

I'm willing to live with the current version that I purchased (appears to be the first edition), and I don't need a refund.

I own a leather-bound "NET BIble" first edition, which says "Copyright 1996-2005" on the copyright page, but beneath the year it also says "Version 5.830 by Biblical Studies Press, LLC".

Apparently the 2nd edition came out in 2017 (see https://netbible.com/preface/) , but it seems they are not advertising the version number for the 2nd edition, just the publication year---which is enough for most purposes.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You can do a simple text replace for the changes you want to make. You need an sqlite editor to access the module data.

I checked again and Harper Collins is now the publisher. They are a secular company owned by Rupert Mudoch's Newscorp. They are in it for the money and have no inclination to even talk to smaller developers like us. I dealt with Biblical Studies Press before. They actually contacted us first offering us the NET. I do not know why a supposedly Christian organization would give their material to a purely secular organization to control and distribute. Harper Collins also owns Thomas Nelson and Zondervan.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)