appendixes

The place to look for Bible Analyzer Updates and Announcements
peterjamesx

appendixes

Post by peterjamesx »

Where do I find the appendixes which are at the back of the printed Companion Bible please?
Have I got to purchase them separately?
Thank you.

Tim
Site Admin

Re: appendixes

Post by Tim »

They are included in the Companion Bible Bundle and can be found in the Dictionary Panel under the tab CB-Appen. Also, there are links to them in the CB-Notes found under the Commentary Panel.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

peterjamesx

Post by peterjamesx »

Thank you for your reply. p.j.

crossnote

Post by crossnote »

I know this thread is a bit dated, hope this post will be seen still.
Regarding BA's Companion Bible notes. I notice in my hard copy, many of the Appendix numbers will have subset numbers such as in Rom 5:1 it will have Ap104 vii, whereas in the BA version it will only have Ap104 (leaving off the subset 'vii').
Is this because my hard edition was published in 1922 and perhaps the subset numbering was added or is it because BA did not include them...or maybe I am missing something on my end?

Thanks,
Richard

epement

Post by epement »

crossnote wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 pm
I know this thread is a bit dated, hope this post will be seen still.
Well, my reply will be more dated still!
crossnote wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 pm
Regarding BA's Companion Bible notes. I notice in my hard copy, many of the Appendix numbers will have subset numbers such as in Rom 5:1 it will have Ap104 vii, whereas in the BA version it will only have Ap104 (leaving off the subset 'vii').
Is this because my hard edition was published in 1922 and perhaps the subset numbering was added or is it because BA did not include them...or maybe I am missing something on my end?
In the case of Appendix 104, which is a list of Greek prepositions, the omission of the section numbers is a meaningful error, because the section numbers say which preposition stands behind the English word "by" in "Justified by faith". Giving the appendix number without the reference number is no help to the reader.

The omission of these section numbers is probably not a mistake on Tim's part, but a mistake by whomever converted the Companion Bible notes to text in the first place.

I also observe that Appendix 104 has stripped out the boldface and italic type which was part of the original text. Boldface-Italic was used to highlight the 18 prepositions so the reader does not have to hunt for them, and Italic type was used to indicate Greek words or special vocabulary terms.

You were correct to observe that the Companion Bible was produced in multiple editions. It was originally issued in 6 hardback volumes, beginning in 1910. Dr Bullinger died in June 1913, and only the Old Testament portion of the Companion Bible was published during his lifetime. All of the New Testament portion of the Companion Bible was compiled and published after his death. Its notes and remarks were taken from previous things Bullinger had already written and published earlier, and none of it represents special work taken by him. Bullinger's name does not appear in the title page or the publication data pages at his own request.

The first one-volume edition was published in 1922, and it was updated in small areas after that. For example, my photoreprint edition by Zondervan Publishers contains a footnote reference from 1925 (in Appendix 37).

The Companion Bible contains a lot of information. I don't agree with all of it, but I find it very helpful and would never want to give my copy away. I hope this information is helpful to someone.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The problem with the section numbers was they were too small to scan correctly. The pages of the CB were scanned and run through OCR software and the small, fine text often did not scan with adequate distinction for the software to render it correctly so they were removed. Someone will have to manually enter the small characters to get them in there.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

crossnote

Post by crossnote »

A very belated 'thank you for that information Tim' :oops: .

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

Thank you everyone that posted this information. That explains why the OT includes dates and the NT does not. Very interesting.