MyKJV Progressive Web App

The place to look for Bible Analyzer Updates and Announcements
Tim
Site Admin

MyKJV Progressive Web App

Post by Tim »

The Lord has allowed us to develop a new "Progressive Web App," called MyKJV, that will run on mobile phones and tablets as well as laptops and computers. For years many of you have inquired if we are going to develop a version of Bible Analyzer for mobile devices and we replied since the new app would have to be completely rewritten from the ground up, we do not have the time to do so, and that is still true. Our new MyKJV app is NOT a version of Bible Analyzer and will not read or use any Bible Analyzer modules. It is a completely new format based more upon our PopVerse utility than on Bible Analyzer.

You may be wondering, "What is a Progressive Web App"? In short, it is just a fancy name for a web application that is platform independent, completely installable on a user's system, and can fully run offline. As you know mobile users have been pretty much locked into the apps that their respective web stores offer for their platform. This is especially try for Apple's "App Store." Apple has their "walled garden" locked up so tight that it is nearly impossible to install an app on your phone apart from their store and approval. With Google's Android system it is possible, but without "jumping through some hoops." PWAs change all of that. If you can access the website that hosts the app, you can install it on your system and bypass the "app stores."

MyKJV is one of the very first of its kind. As far as we know it is the first Bible app with its own domain to be built as a true PWA. MyKJV is fully installale on nearly any modern system that is running an up-to-date browser. If you are using Chrome, Brave, the new MS Edge, Firefox, Safari or nearly any other current browser you can install MyKJV on your desktop/laptop system and it will run online or offline. If you are using an Android phone or tablet with the newest version of Chrome, you can install MyKJV as well and it will actually put an icon on your "Home Screen" just like an app from the Play Store! MyKJV will fully run offline and is uninstallable like any other app. Furthermore, when MyKJV gets updated on the website, it will update on your device automatically! With an Apple iPhone or iPad the installation process is much the same but with a couple more steps.

Progressive Web Apps have a very promising future. Some even think they may largely replace the current App Store model. With web technology (HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc.) becoming more robust and capable every day, more developers are using it to build their applications. The greatest benefit is PWAs are essentially universal. They can run or nearly any device that has access to the internet.

How To Install
Desktop

After a user navigates to https://mykjv.com, when the page is fully loaded an option will be available to install the app on the user's system. On a desktop system there will be a "+" on the right side of the address bar (Chrome, Brave, Edge, etc.). Click the button and the app will be installed with an icon placed on the user's Desktop. From there the app can be accessed at anytime, offline or online.

Android
On an Android mobile device, upon first visiting the site a popup is normally displayed at the bottom of the screen giving the option to install the app on the user's Home Screen. The install option is also found under the browser's three-dot overflow menu at the top of the screen. Once installed the app icon will be placed on the Android Home Screen where it can be accessed like any other app.

iOS
Navigate to https://mykjv.com in Safari. Then tap the 'Share' button, scroll down and tap 'Add to Home Screen.' Enter the name for the app then tap "Add." MyKJV should show up on your home screen like a native iOS app. This capability will likely soon be added to other browsers on iOS such as Chrome.

Navigation
Desktop

Navigation on the desktop should be fairly intuitive. The tabs and buttons are self-explanatory. When the cross-references are displayed and the cursor is over a reference, the Bible text will display in a popup window. On click the Bible display will be updated and scrolled to the reference.

Mobile
On mobile touch devices the screen will look slightly different. Chapter navigation will be by left/right swipe instead of buttons. A single tap on a reference will display the text popup; tap anywhere else to close. A double-tap will display the reference in the Bible.

MyKJV Application

As its name suggests, MyKJV is a web app built upon the King James Bible. Some of its features include,
  • Easily navigate to any Bible reference
  • View the Bible in verse or paragraph format
  • View the top four cross-references from the TSK for each verse
  • Quickly search the Bible with words, phrases, and wildcards.
  • Search has a compact bar chart showing the frequency of hits
  • A "Catalog" tab that has several Bible lists fully reference linked
  • The capability to mark any number of verses with a click or double-tap for copying to the clipboard or adding to a user verse lists
  • The user verse list can be selectively copied and modified
  • ...and more
If MyKJV is well received we plan to add more features. The PWA concept will likely become even more capable in the coming months and we will try to incorporate any new capabilities into the app.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Freebird

Re: MyKJV Progressive Web App

Post by Freebird »

Very nice job, Tim! This is so clean and usable!
You nailed it with the "KISS" approach.
I'm looking forward to using this daily.
It fills a real need I have for a simple to access bible program (with search) on my Android.
It is so wonderful that this can be used offline! I'm afraid the day may come when this feature is invaluable.
I don't think it can be installed on my Fire HD10 tablet (Amazon has crippled many features), but it does load and run well from online.
Keep up the good work!
Many thanks!

Now, to get my verse timing set up with Scourby and find how to use the new "Complete Analysis of the Bible by Hitchcock" module!
ps...love the training videos and find them very helpful!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the kind words about MyKJV. I tried to give it the most essential features without fluff or comments.

Yes, the offline capability is very important. I agree the day may soon come where online access may not be possible.

I'm not sure about the Kindle Fire and PWAs, but more and more are adopting it.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Eric

Post by Eric »

I will chime in to say I think this is a very good thing. Thank you very much, Tim. I look forward to using it.

The idea of PWAs that act like apps, but aren't hampered and humstrung by the powers that think they are permanent (big tech), is encouraging. I just don't see why the big tech companies accommodate it – what do they have to gain? They don't get a cut from selling the app.
Last edited by Eric on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I think that is the reason Apple is lagging behind with PWAs. They do not accommodate them as much as Google, but they still do some. Most expect Apple to eventually come along because PWAs were actually Steve Jobs' idea. There are still a few things PWAs cannot do that a pure native "store" app can, but they are becoming less all the time. Web technology (JavaScript, etc) has become nearly as powerful as native languages. Notice how fast MyKJV will go to a reference and search. It is nearly instantaneous even on a phone. PWAs have a bright future.
Tim Morton

Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Will it be possible to build our own "Bible Lists" in the catalog of MyKJV?
Seems this might be very useful. I leaned heavily on the "cyclopedic index" for many years and this has some similarity to that which I'm very fond of.
Fact is, I would love a cyclopedic index that had mouse over ability and could be edited with personal entries.
Now let's see....thanks for all your hard work Tim!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, it is possible to have editable entries. However, one issue with PWAs is they will not read or save to outside files or databases and still work offline. They can read from an online server like any web page but they cannot read from a local database.

With MyKJV I put the whole KJ Bible in the JavaScript code so it is saved offline on each system in the local cache. It does not rely on anything online once installed. But for this reason it is not possible to add "modules" like Bible Analyzer does. But PWAs are changing all the time. Maybe sometime they will be able to read an external database and open more possibilities.
Tim Morton

jws928

Post by jws928 »

I have just downloaded the MyKJV app on my desktop and on my phone (android). I can not get the x-ref tab to show the individual Bible references like the video shows on the desktop. They work fine on my phone. What do I need to do to get the verses to show on my desktop. Also I can not select several verses on the desktop with my mouse. I can tap with my finger and select several verse and than add to the verse list.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Does your desktop have a touch screen? If so, you may need to use the app as touch there. It tries to determine touch from non-touch devices but with 2in1 devices it sometimes gets caught in-between.
Tim Morton

jws928

Post by jws928 »

Tim wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:37 am
Does your desktop have a touch screen? If so, you may need to use the app as touch there. It tries to determine touch from non-touch devices but with 2in1 devices it sometimes gets caught in-between.
I do have a touch screen computer and what you said solved my situation. Thanks.