5.2 Beta Testing (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 5.2 Beta Testing (Linux)

Post by Tim »

Jon,

Putting the modules under the user's folder (in this case /Documents) is about the only way to deal with them. Linux has very strict permissions and only files under the users folder can be added/removed or modified without having to use root privileges. Before v4.9 the mods were in the usr/share folder but it is owned by root, thus to use the download manager one would have to gain root access every time. I asked around about making BA always run as root, but many Linux users are used to the restrictions and are afraid to run anything as root. So the best option is to use the /Documents folder. See this post for more details, viewtopic.php?f=10&t=783

Darrel,

I'll fix the AV location issue and check the Henry download issue. The error looks like BA is having trouble finding the last book that was displayed before close. I'll look into it.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The TRi and all Bibles show from the /modules/Bible folder for me.

Check the folders and be sure the ones under module are capitalized. This is another Linux peculiarity, case for folders and file names is not ignored. It is easier to keep the subfolders Bible, Dictionary, etc., capitalized to match the Windows and Mac names.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Okay, Just so we're talking apples-to-apples. I have gone back to Linux Mint 18.1 Mate. I have "/home/darrel/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/modules/", Bible, Commentary, Devotion, Dictionary and Text are all capitalized. BA will not start unless av1769.bib is in the BibleAnalyzer root folder. TRi is not recognized unless it is in the same BibleAnalyzer root folder. As soon as I put both of those in that folder then BA starts and TRi is recognized as a Bible.

JPG

Post by JPG »

darrel_jw wrote:Hi Tim,

7. Downloading modules appears mostly ok. When I sync it says I have one new premium module - Exposition on the Whole Bible - Henry. I download it, BA closes and reopens. I do the download again, this time should not have any new modules, and it says I have the same module needing to be downloaded again!

Darrel
I keep getting a different premium item that does not install. "History of the Christian Church."

[edit] It makes the folder "History", but does not install the files there.[/edit]

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Yeah, I think Tim will need to modify something in the premium download code, maybe the non-premium also. It could also be the modules that need modifying. He has said he will look at the one(s) I mentioned, so if we keep submitting on the modules we have issues with I am certain he will take care of them. Right Tim? :lol:

Either way I am pleased with where BA for Linux has come in a very short period of time. Kudos Tim!!

Darrel

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

Been busy so I'm just now getting back to this thread... ;)

I can confirm the crash of opening BA in parallel view is now fixed. However, my issue with the new Strong's features is still there. When the AVs tab selected (new Pure Cambridge based version) and I try to enable features such as "Show Hebrew/Greek Word" or the options below it, they are still grayed out.
Strong's dropdown
Strong's dropdown
Screenshot1.png (37.33 KiB) Viewed 27928 times
After reading the comments earlier about folder name capitalization, I checked my ~/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/modules folder and all the folder names are lowercase. Linux is a case-sensitive OS, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue in my case since BA is recognizing and loading the modules (Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries, etc.). Maybe have some setting somewhere set to an incorrect value that's not allowing this feature to work? I let BA create a new config.ini before to get it to start (before the parallel view bug was fixed) and I've only made what I think are minor changes since then.

Any ideas? If you need more info then please ask.

Thanks
Robert

JPG

Post by JPG »

Make sure you have the current s-strongEx.dct installed

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Yeah, I had that issue previously also, where my module versions got out of sync with the new BA release. Once I corrected the versions everything worked beautifully!

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I have a problem with AHLB and fonts. When I open my virtual box with Windows 7 the fonts in AHLB display beautifully. But the Lynux install displays as:
1227) Ri% (Ri% YR) ac: Throw co: ? ab: F | KJV: river, brook, flood, stream | H2975

Yes, it is a font issue. I am pretty sure I have both Galaxie fonts installed per the installation. Am I missing something?

Darrel

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Robert,

Do you have the StrongEx dictionary? It is required for all the menu items to work. If you don't have it download it here,
http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/files/s-strongEx.zip

If you still have the issue, let me know.

Darrel,

The AHLB does not use only the Galaxie fonts. It has some special old Hebrew fonts which I forget the name of. They must be in your virtual machine. I haven't released the AHLB yet and don't have all the fonts together.
Tim Morton