Bible Analyzer 5.5 Beta (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.5 Beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

I have not received any recent reports other than the ones that were fixed with the last beta 5.5.0.32
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Hi Tim,
Sorry being a bit late in responding. Yes, the errors I reported were fixed in the last release (32?). the only error I consistently get is when I start BA. I then close the error box and BA runs fine. I will send the error now. You're doing good work on BA and I appreciate it!

Darrel

bob58523

Post by bob58523 »

Hello,

When I do the command "pip install sip == 6.6.2" I get "ERROR: Invalid requirement: '=='" and the bible analyzer package will not install. Any ideas?

Bob

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

epement

Post by epement »

Hello Tim,

I have Linux Mint 20.3, MATE desktop, Python 3.8.10, and I'm really not ready to upgrade to Linux Mint 21. I (unwisely) tried to upgrade Python to 3.10 so I could install the latest version of BA, but it broke many, many parts of my Mint setup, including the Software Manager. Thank God for Timeshift, or else I would have had an unrecoverable mess of things.

I still want to install, test, and use the latest version of BA, and I am thinking that using Pyenv (https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv) is a better way of starting out. I need to know how to configure Pyenv to work correctly when installing and running BA 5.5. I also need some guidance on installing wxPython in a way that will be compatible with the rest of my Linux Mint setup.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You can probably find a tutorial on how to install wxPython in a virtual environment in Linux. You do have to have at least two different Python installations to switch between. I'm not sure how but you will have to keep v3.8 as your default Python. I also tried to install v3.10 on a 20.04 distro and ran into problems. v3.10 has a lot of changes that break things. I had to make many changes in the Bible Analyzer code just to get it to start with v3.10. That is why Bible Analyzer v5.5 Linux it won't run on Python v3.8.

All I can say is you will have to experiment. At least you can go back and restore things if they go wrong.
Tim Morton

bob58523

Post by bob58523 »

So I tried installing wxPython-4.2.0-cp310-cp310-linux_x86_64.whl like you had mentioned and got this...

ERROR: wxPython-4.2.0-cp310-cp310-linux_x86_64.whl is not a supported wheel on this platform

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I have submitted a number of bug reports via BA reporting system. before submitting them again, I want to know if you have received them and if anything is being done with them?

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I have submitted a number of bug reports via BA reporting system. before submitting them again, I want to know if you have received them and if anything is being done with them?

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

I've been busy and only now was able to return to this thread. I downloaded and installed the latest beta of BA (v. 5.5.0.32) and the problem I had documented earlier concerning clicking the down-arrows seems to be fixed. However, when I click inside the S-Pad window to edit the contents, the contents are immediately replaced with the text "The URL can’t be shown." I don't know if the problem is within the wxPython library or if it's something that can be worked around in your Python code that utilizes the wxPython library.

Hope that feedback is helpful...

Robert