Bible Analyzer 5.5 Beta (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.5 Beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

Finally, I have some good news on the Linux front.

I was probing around the Ubuntu packages and found that they already have the 23.04 repository up and it does have the wxP 4.2 libraries compiled for both Python 3.10 and 3.11. I downloaded them and added them to the Bible Analyzer code base instead of installing them normally and it works! It appears the libraries Bible Analyzer needs will be able to be packaged with it if the user has at least the 22.04 LTR.

This way all distros (like Mint) that are based on 22.04 should be able to run it, and possibly many Debian distros as well. I may have to have two different debs, one for 3.10 and another for 3.11 to keep backward capacity to at least 22.04. We'll see.

I'm working with the code now and have to make a few changes to the build process, but hopefully there be a deb to test soon.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Cool!

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Excellent news, Tim

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Now see my post here for another snag,
https://www.bibleanalyzer.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=1563
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Ok, finally there is something to test.

There is a Python packaging script called Pyinstaller that is supposed to build a Linux package. It is supposed to gather all the dependencies and fix all the links to make a somewhat standalone app. I messed with it a while and got it to build Bible Analyzer including all the wx libraries and it works on my system. However, my system has a lot of wx libraries scattered around.

If some of you have a clean 22.03 install you can see if it will run. If you installed wxPython from pip from instructions earlier in this thread, uninstall it first (pip(3) uninstall wxpython). Plus your Linux must have Python 3.10, which 22.04 has.

www.bibleanalyzer.com/files/bibleanalyzer_5.5-1_all.deb
It is about 90MB compressed

If you get any errors, run it from Termnal (bibleanalyzer) and send them along.

Maybe, just maybe this will work.
Tim Morton

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

It has been verified that the new deb made with pyinstaller will run on a fresh install of 22.04 or later. I made a fresh install of Linux Mint 21.1 and it runs fine there as well.

I just uploaded a new deb with some fixes. Same link as above.

Brother Mike found a few issues which I think most have been fixed.
I also fixed the flicker on start and on some page changes.
Syncing audio files should work now.
Fixed some issues with the Prayer/Journal editors

Now is the time to report issues if you find any. v5.5 for Linux is close to being released, I hope.
Tim Morton

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Hey Tim,
I am impressed!

I run a heavily populated Linux Mint 21.1. My initial observations are very positive. Most of the problems I reported are fixed! I will do an in-depth testing very soon, particularly on searching and module building.

Where I was thinking I needed to move to another tool (theWord) I need to reconsider. BA is looking quite stable. My only issue is I have a lot invested in premium modules in theWord.

You have done well!

Darrel ;)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

When going from standard layout to full screen Bible, Commentary, Dictionary, Results I have a LOT of screen flickering before it settles in.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

OK. Initial impression report: LOOKS GOOD

I re-linked the Scourby MP3 files and seems to work fine now with the timing.

I tried a Context search as well as Advanced and Related, no crashes or error reported.

The SPad and Notes seem to be fine as well, with the limited testing I have done.

No screen flickers in any scenario, although I am on a VM and not sure how will behave on a physical box.

I installed this over the previous version on a VM. Will be doing more testing

Any reservations on installing over the install on my laptop?

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Pressing F1 does not open the manual.