Bible tabs crazy order

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
srice

Bible tabs crazy order

Post by srice »

I actually had the problem before, however, I fixed it and it didn't reoccur. I recently discovered the 5.4 Beta for Mac, so I downloaded it and installed it. Everything seems to work well. One thing I did notice is that my Bible tab order is totally out of order. That would be fine as long as the AV, AVs, AVp, AV1611 etc were at the very beginning like usual, but they are not. They are totally out of order.

Here is the order:
Vulgate, Tyndale, Coverdale, Geneva, ASV TRi, AV-1611, YLT, TPB, SpaRVG, Darby, LutHS, SpaRVs, Bishops, LEB, DRV, ItaRB, RV60, CBr, AVp, Webster, ItaGD, AV, SpaV1602p, NDiodati, SpaRV1865, RVG18, Diodati1894, ASVs, Wycliff, AVs, Parallel.

I moved the Bible tabs around the other day (click hold, drag), and it didn't stick. Today, I moved them again, and the program crashes while I'm trying to move them around. I fired up my 5.2 version, and once again the order is a mess. I do have both versions installed, 5.2 and 5.4beta.

Shane

PS - Reordered them in 5.2, and they stayed after closing and re-opening it.
Serving the King,
Shane Rice
Romans 12:1-2
http://www.ricefamilyministries.com

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible tabs crazy order

Post by Tim »

By default the tabs are loaded in file name, alphabetical order. When they are reordered a list is saved to the config.ini file to reorder the tabs after they are initially created during startup. Normally, they will be ordered correctly, but sometimes the "drag and drop" code can have a glitch and not save the tab order state correctly. The options are to try and fix the order again after a restart of Bible Analyzer, do a Bible Analyzer reset from the Tools menu, or hack the config.ini file.

Modifying the config.ini file can mess things up royally if the wrong settings are changed, so i don't document doing it, but the Bible tab order is saved in the line,

bibOrder = [u'ASV', u'AV', u'LEB', etc.]

If you open the file in a plain text editor and delete the content between the braces like this,

bibOrder = []

The default tab order will be used, and you can try moving them again.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

srice

Re: Bible tabs crazy order

Post by srice »

Even when I reset it it has some crazy order to it. If it were alphabetical, that would be great, but it is crazy. Not sure what that is about. I have gone in and hacked in the ini file. I do understand not documenting or recommending that. It does work well though. It seems to be the easiest way to get some order.

This could be part of the problem too. When I installed the Beta (for Mac), I left the original 5.2 installation.
If I open the v5.2 it opens fine. However, if I close it, and open 5.4, it says my config file is corrupt (I didn't edit it). I close and re-open 5.4 and it works fine.

After having 5.4 open, if I open 5.2 it doesn't fully open, something flashes on the screen. When I open it the second time, the config file has been reset, and it opens normally.

So whenever switching between the two versions, I have to open it twice in order to get it to reset the config file. Apparently there is a problem between the two config files. You may already know this, but just FYI.

Each time my config file is reset, the Bible tab order is a not the expected alphabetical order, it isn't even reversed order. So that is the bug I'm reporting. The consistently messed up Bible tab order. It always seems to be the Vulgate first, then others with the AV being spread out through the whole order. Very odd.
Serving the King,
Shane Rice
Romans 12:1-2
http://www.ricefamilyministries.com