Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

I just uploaded a new beta (5.4.0.44) with these fixes,
  • Modules that wouldn't load before should now load. Commentaries, Dictionaries, and Books.
  • Books should now display images (Larkin, etc.)
  • Issue with some titles not indexing fixed
  • Updated the layout of the Interlinear Display so cells are variable length instead of fixed. This allows the page to flow better when fewer options are selected
Same link as before. Just install over top of the previous.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I sent an email. Did complete new install, downloaded subset of my premium modules and got the following error, and BA is dead

Version: Bible Analyzer 5.4.0.44
Application Path: /home/darrel
Modules Path: /home/darrel/Documents/BibleAnalyzer
User Path: /home/darrel/.config/bibleanalyzer
System Architecture: 64bit x86_64
Frozen: False

#---- End System Information ----#

#---- Traceback Info ----#

*** Fri May 15 13:16:29 2020 ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/downloadMan.py", line 873, in OnDownload
self.loadedDlg(titles)
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/downloadMan.py", line 883, in loadedDlg
self.mainApp.OnRestart()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 8329, in OnRestart
wx.GetApp().OnInit(0)
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 8651, in OnInit
self.ShowMain()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 8655, in ShowMain
self.BA = BibleAnalyzer(None, "Bible Analyzer 5.4")
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 119, in __init__
self.LoadModules()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 944, in LoadModules
self.refIndex.GetModRefs()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/utility.py", line 326, in GetModRefs
self.doRefIndex(pth, selStr)
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/utility.py", line 282, in doRefIndex
for id, row in enumerate(cur):
sqlite3.OperationalError: Could not decode to UTF-8 column 'text' with text '<center><br> <p><font size="4"><b>PART II <br> ITS SPIRITUAL SIGNIFICANCE </b></p></font> <p><b>SEVEN</b></p> </center> <p> We come now to the grea

#---- End Traceback Info ----#

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Just sent up a new beta, 5.4.0.46. Same link.

I think the module loading issues are fixed. Also, the issue with user images, they should now load. I fixed I couple other little things, so give this one a try.

I think we are getting closer to a stable program.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Tim, know that I appreciate your hard work and where BA is going to. I already use it for the bible studies and classes I teach. :D

Darrel

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I installed the latest beta, loaded it with everything I have (87 Bibles, 36 commentaries, 57 dictionaries, 153 images, 928 books) so it's a pretty healthy installation. So far I cannot find anything wrong that was issues before. All the modules and images installed without error.

So now will continue testing on other things. Thanks Tim!

Darrel

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

It appears you fixed the flickering Bible window issue? And we have not discussed it yet, but will the RTL issue in the Bible window be fixed and/or replaced with the new ID? The new ID is really good - clean, crisp and a lot of good data. I would like to hover content and have it show in the Quick View.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Okay, I have the speech timing module and several audio files downloaded, and they speak the Bible beautifully on 5.4 Linux. But when I click the Audio button and select one of the audio files nothing is played. All other audio is very good.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I click on Setup, Options 1. Default Strong's Resource is greyed out and I cannot set. Default Strong's Popup Resource is also greyed out and I cannot set it to anything.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

There are font issues in 5.4 Beta. If you have the fonts set to Segoe UI you can click on the ID, click on a Strong's number and the dictionary displays that entry.

The CWD displays wrong Greek characters. To demonstrate
1. set fonts to Segoe UI, click on Act 17:28
2. click on the ID; scroll down to Act 17:28
3. click on G2198. StrongEx shows proper accented Greek word
4. click on Thayer. It also shows proper accented Greek word
5. now click on CWD. It DOES NOT show proper accented Greek word

So is it font issues within CWD or is it something else?

One final point - is there a font I can use that will display accented Greek text in the Bible window?

We REALLY need the ID to be synced with the Bible window. When I am on Act 17:28 and I click the ID I really want to ID to open positioned on Act 17:28 and not Act 17:1. Can we do that?

Thanks Tim,

Darrel

jastombaugh

Post by jastombaugh »

So... I just noticed that hover over a word with the mouse and hit the 'ctrl' key, BA highlights all the instances of that word on the screen. I NEVER NOTICED THIS BEFORE!!!! Tim, you absolutely amaze me!!! Thanks for putting that feature in there. What a neat tool!

The modules are running smooth, as expected. I tried disabling all of the 'gnome extensions' pop_os uses, but still have not found the cause of the BA search bar issue.

Selecting the search bar and then attempting to enter a search word results in:
1. The BA application window to 'blink' (almost imperceptively). (shifting focus back to the desktop, and then back to the BA window)
2. The letter just entered now becomes highlighted again... any subsequent letter pressed replaces the first one and loops the behavior.
3. Pressing the 'right arrow' key dis-selects the letter and allows for the next letter to be entered, but it does the 'blink, shift, focus, loop' again.

NOTE: this behavior DOES seem to be linked to whether the forming word is 'recognized' by the routine that lists the possible search results. Example: typing "7love" is perfectly fine, as there is no such word in the concordance. However, typing "love" yields the behavior as the window attempts to update the search bar results as you enter in the word. (If that makes sense).

I haven't had the opportunity to try this out on Stock gnome, Mate, Mint, KDE, or any of the other distros just yet. (All of which use different window managers).