Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

The images appeared corrupted. They only partially displayed in an image viewer.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

jastombaugh

Post by jastombaugh »

Sorry. I will try sending it again tonight.

Statik

Post by Statik »

Installed on a semi-fresh install of Linux Mint 20 Mate. Kept my /home directory from previous install. This resulted in an error complaining about a corrupted config file. Renamed ~/.config/bibleanalyzer to ~/.config/bibleanalyzer.bak and retried starting it. The program opens fine.

silver.gill

Post by silver.gill »

So I'm running linux mint 20, just installed the 5.4-1 beta, and when I go to open up the app i get this error.
Any idea what I can do to fix it?
Thanks

System Architecture: 64bit x86_64
Frozen: False

#---- End System Information ----#

#---- Traceback Info ----#

*** Sat Jul 11 16:41:41 2020 ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/doSettings.py", line 308, in getSettings
self.ma.bibAudioPath = currConfig['bibAudioPath']
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/configobj.py", line 554, in __getitem__
val = dict.__getitem__(self, key)
KeyError: 'bibAudioPath'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 8651, in OnInit
self.ShowMain()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 8655, in ShowMain
self.BA = BibleAnalyzer(None, "Bible Analyzer 5.4")
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 370, in __init__
self.Settings()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 1189, in Settings
self.settings.getSettings()
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/doSettings.py", line 521, in getSettings
dialogs.configError(self)
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/dialogs.py", line 668, in configError
dlg = wx.MessageDialog(app, 'Your configuration file is corrupted.\n\n\
TypeError: MessageDialog(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'Settings'

#---- End Traceback Info ----#

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

I am running the beta on Ubuntu Groovy Gorilla. There is a lot of flashing and the KJV-dramatized will not work, but the KJV-non-dramatized does work.

jastombaugh

Post by jastombaugh »

kathleenmarie wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 pm
I am running the beta on Ubuntu Groovy Gorilla. There is a lot of flashing and the KJV-dramatized will not work, but the KJV-non-dramatized does work.
Are the individual windows flashing when they are updated/refreshed or is the entire screen flashing. Also, are you using Ubuntu on Wayland, specifically?

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

jastombaugh wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:27 pm
kathleenmarie wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 pm
Are the individual windows flashing when they are updated/refreshed or is the entire screen flashing. Also, are you using Ubuntu on Wayland, specifically?
I have discovered that anytime I change a setting, no matter how minor, I need to quit the program and restart it. The whole app screen flashes, not just individual windows.

I am sorry. I don't know what Wayland is. I did a quick google and don't understand what I am reading.

I have some blank buttons, and sometimes I get garbled results for advanced searching. I am watching the tutorial videos and cannot use multiple features that are being advertised.

I am not complaining, I know how hard it must be to get things to work on any operating system, when the operating systems themselves are not working right, and hardware companies are not releasing their drivers. Man is fallen and what is under Bible Analyzer is a mess that Bible Analyzer will not always be able to predict and accommodate. I have been wrestling with Windows and Chrome OS and many flavors of Linux, and ... the OS are the problem, not the apps I try to run on them.

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

I forced my OS to update to the newest version of the Beta and saw an immediate improvement in BA. That leads me to believe that I will see continued improvements in BA as my OS gets more stable.

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

Since the official release of Groovy Gorilla (Ubuntu 20.10) was Oct. 22, 2020 (if I'm remembering correctly) you shouldn't be on the beta any longer. There will be updates obviously to correct bugs as time progresses but you should have a reasonably stable OS.

Wayland is a newer experimental mechanism for displaying things on the screen that most Linux distributions will likely be going to eventually (replacing X11), but I don't think Ubuntu is enabling it by default yet. Since you're not familiar with it you are probably not using it.

I'm running BA on Kubuntu 20.10, the KDE based version of Ubuntu and I'm not seeing the issues you're describing. KDE is an alternative desktop to the GNOME desktop that Ubuntu uses so there is different software doing the low-level work of drawing windows, buttons, text, etc.

Since you apparently started with a beta version of Ubuntu perhaps you've inherited some problems from the beta that the updates haven't fixed. But if BA is the only app that is having problems then perhaps it is compatibility issues with the OS.

I know this has been ramblings and probably not very helpful...

Robert

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

RobertRathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:38 am
Since the official release of Groovy Gorilla (Ubuntu 20.10) was Oct. 22, 2020 (if I'm remembering correctly) you shouldn't be on the beta any longer. There will be updates obviously to correct bugs as time progresses but you should have a reasonably stable OS.

Wayland is a newer experimental mechanism for displaying things on the screen that most Linux distributions will likely be going to eventually (replacing X11), but I don't think Ubuntu is enabling it by default yet. Since you're not familiar with it you are probably not using it.

I'm running BA on Kubuntu 20.10, the KDE based version of Ubuntu and I'm not seeing the issues you're describing. KDE is an alternative desktop to the GNOME desktop that Ubuntu uses so there is different software doing the low-level work of drawing windows, buttons, text, etc.

Since you apparently started with a beta version of Ubuntu perhaps you've inherited some problems from the beta that the updates haven't fixed. But if BA is the only app that is having problems then perhaps it is compatibility issues with the OS.

I know this has been ramblings and probably not very helpful...

Robert
This is not rambling at all! My Linux education is very uneven. I have the bad luck of having hardware that that does not play nice with any OS. I have learned a lot, because I must learn alot to be able to do anything, but there is still so much that I don't know.

I used KDE on Open Suse last year, and understand that it is possible to change desktops. I will download and install what you are running and see how that goes. I have never run Kubuntu at all, and have only run Lubuntu on a different laptop for a very short time. That machine ran well with both vanilla Ubuntu 18 LTS and Ubuntu 20 Beta, until about a week before Ubuntu 20 LTS was released and everything suddenly just went haywire.

I will research Wayland. I have some fuzzy memories of knowing something about X11 and maybe Wayland. But I think whaterever I was trying to do was middle of the night stuff while incredibly sleep deprived and in a panicked rush to get a machine back up and running SOMETHING.

I somehow missed that Groovy Gorilla was officially released! Even if I go back to that, I should make a fresh installer of the official release. First I am curious to try Kubuntu.