Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
kathleenmarie

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Linux)

Post by kathleenmarie »

RobertRathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:38 am

I'm running BA on Kubuntu 20.10, the KDE based version of Ubuntu and I'm not seeing the issues you're describing.
Robert
I installed Kubuntu and see a huge improvement!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!! I am going to buy another module now. I was holding off until I had better function in the app.

God bless you for taking the time to help me!

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

I'm glad I was able to be helpful... You shouldn't have had trouble with Ubuntu. I understand that Tim uses Linux Mint to test the Linux version of BA, and Linux Mint is based off of the same GNOME graphic libraries that Ubuntu uses for their desktop. If you aren't satisfied with Kubuntu then you might try Linux Mint. I don't know if you are aware, but many of these Linux distributions have an ISO that you can burn to a bootable DVD or USB thumb drive so you can boot into a "live" version. Then you can test how well the distribution agrees with your hardware as well as see how you like OS without having to install it. If you decide you like it then you can install it.

Good luck and glad I could help.

Robert

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

Okay, Mint is the distro that is most tested.

Sometimes it is my hardware that is the problem. I have learned that the machines that I buy at Best Buy at a "too good to be true" sale, turn out to be models that are listed at forums as having compatibility issues.

Kubuntu is better than Ubuntu, but I am still having trouble with s-pad and some other issues.

Hmm, yes, using the test option might be worth it sometimes. Other times not, when the USB version is fine, but the updates break the OS.

In the movie, the Karate Kid, the student does not understand the value of wax on and wax off. All the OS installation and working through problems is my wax on and wax off practice. I am trusting that God has this under control and that my time is not being wasted.

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

I had worse performance under Mint 20 XFCE. Maybe Cinnamon would have been better?

I am back to Kubuntu. It is probably my hardware, not Linux or BA, that is the problem. So far Kubunto 20 runs BA best on my cheap HP Stream.

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

I am currently running Bible Analyzer 5.4.0.32 Beta Linux on Ubuntu 21.04

I have not had optimal performance on any machines and any distros since Ubuntu 20.

Are there any plans to maintain the Linux version of Bible Analyzer? I understand if the Linux model is going to be dropped. Linux and Fire Tablet apps are being dropped by more and more companies, and in just Bible software and modules alone, I have lost quite a bit of access to content that I have paid for.

I need to purchase a few modules to complete an upcoming study and I am trying to decide which software company to invest in.

I am not complaining. I am just trying to take stock of what is still available to me in 2021. I am also trying to speculate what is most likely to be available for the next couple years, which is probably ridiculous, but ... I am going to ask your plans for Linux anyway.

Most importantly stay safe!

epement

Post by epement »

I am currently running Bible Analyzer 5.4.0.32 Beta Linux on Ubuntu 21.04
I am currently running Bible Analyzer 5.4.0.50 for Linux on Linux Mint v20.2, with the MATE desktop environment.

Download version 5.4.0.50 of Bible Analyzer here:
www.bibleanalyzer.com/bibleanalyzer_5.4-1_all.deb

Tim uses (reuses) the same file name for whatever is the latest minor version.

What seems to be the problem with the lack of performance in Bible Analyzer?

Maybe you could try updating to the latest version and see if the problems persist.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

I tried 5.4 Beta on Mint awhile back and had more problems on Mint than Kubuntu.

I just put Ubuntu 18.04 on my desktop with 5.2. There is no linked audio in 5.2, but at least I can use my other modules. No errors so far. My problem with 18.04 is that the kernel was updated and frozen to a kernel that does not work on my laptop. I have a super cheap older mini desktop right now that appears well suited for 18.04. Ubuntu 18.04 and BA 5.2 were a good match.

I think I have the older version of Libreoffice that still runs the Mendeley citation plug-in linked and working. I have my printer installed. I think I might have all my most critical paper writing apps working on the same machine. That only took 6 distro hops to accomplish. LOL.

I will just have to play audio on another device or a webpage or something.

Maybe I will give Mint another try at some point. But I will do this for now.

epement

Post by epement »

Hi Kathleen,

I thought maybe a couple of follow-up comments would be helpful.
kathleenmarie wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:00 pm
I tried 5.4 Beta on Mint awhile back and had more problems on Mint than Kubuntu.
Everything depends on your system resources. My previous desktop PC which I had for 7 years had a dedicated video card and worked well with Mint/Cinnamon. My current desktop, which I have had for a month, has a generic integrated video card. It works fine with Mint.
My problem with 18.04 is that the kernel was updated and frozen to a kernel that does not work on my laptop. I have a super cheap older mini desktop right now that appears well suited for 18.04. Ubuntu 18.04 and BA 5.2 were a good match.
After my previous system died due to motherboard failure, I went looking for a desktop replacement. At first, I bought a new Lenovo with Win10. I repartitioned the hard disk to dual boot, but had a very hard time installing Linux on it. Cinnamon worked, but not well; Mint worked better and I liked the look better. Installation was complicated by the fact that the PC did not have a DVD drive nor even a drive bay to add one. Yes, I was able to install Linux with a USB, but after a few days I decided that having a DVD drive was a requirement. I wiped the HDD and returned the unit in less than a week.

I discovered that Linux Mint has a database of compatible hardware, which I could search before buying. I also visited here: https://ubuntu.com/certified. Then I purchased a rebuilt Dell known to be compatible with Ubuntu and Mint. I got a much better, more powerful system for $320, much less than what I paid for the Lenovo. 16GB ram, 1 Terabyte SSD, R/W DVD, Intel i7 processor, 4 USB3 ports, good reviews. Amazon.com link here. I reused the same two monitors I had before.

The day the machine arrived, I popped in a Linux install DVD, used gparted to give 110 GB to Windows and 890 GB to Linux, and proceeded to install Linux Mint. Everything went smoothly. Bible Analyzer and GNU Emacs were the first external utilities that I added.
I think I have the older version of Libreoffice that still runs the Mendeley citation plug-in linked and working. I have my printer installed. I think I might have all my most critical paper writing apps working on the same machine.
Interesting. I'm a seminary graduate (MDiv), and when I was in seminary I used Zotero for my citations (see differences here).

I used Zotero to build this small bibliography on religious movements, which is free to view, join, or edit (after joining). I've updated it only once or twice years since graduating. I used the standalone version of Zotero, since I did not like the idea of storing my data in their cloud and being permanently subject to their pricing. (I now realize that I could probably use the free standalone version and store my data in OneDrive or Dropbox or someone else's storage, without having to pay fees to Zotero.)

Since I was a poor seminary student and didn't have much money, my electronic Bible study tools leaned almost entirely towards Windows freeware: e-Sword, TheWord, Bible Analyzer, Blue Letter Bible, Online Bible, and things like that. The seminary had presentations from Logos, but they were out of my price range. I had to make decisions about the comparative benefit I would get from the free versions of Thayer's Greek Lexicon versus the non-free, expensive versions of the authoritative BDAG lexicon. How committed was I to paying the cost for a UBS4 or NA27 Greek text, versus the free (copyright-expired) Greek texts that I could get with the free tools? For the purposes of writing papers or doing Bible study at my church, what was the real difference? (That's a rhetorical question, not a real question, by the way . . .)

So believe me, I do have an appreciation for the difference of cost versus benefit in handling Bible software.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

kathleenmarie

Post by kathleenmarie »

Thank you for all of this.

I have struggled to find info about how to best use Zotero without their very limited free online storage. I followed the example of the lower-income and international students that first introduced me to Linux and research, and used Mendeley. I am open to exploring other options. I will check out your links. Thank you!

Yes, at some point I might benefit from a custom built machines. My machines tend to be just purchased at Best Buy on sale, or dirt cheap at Amazon. For the past few months I have been offline and mostly just used android on a limited cellular connection. There is a grant and push to temporarily provide online access to low-income people and I very recently subscribed to a provider that offers refurbished business machines with Windows 10 pro and MS Office 2019. I ordered a Thinkpad, but they took so long to ship it that in the meantime I threw Linux back on my toy machines. After a bunch of distro-hops, my top machines are functional, and I am satisfied enough that I canceled the Thinkpad. If I buy some new hardware, I am going to buy something more compatible with Linux.

My seminary classes are through an unaccredited online school. They are flexible about writing papers, but I am trying hard to use this pandemic downtime to really learn how to write in Chicago Style. Somehow, someway, I am going to do it on Linux, despite most training being offered only for Windows and resources locked behind paywalls.

I use Logos mostly as an ebook reader of books that were cheapest or only possible when purchased through them. I have my library downloaded onto a Kindle Tablet. The thing I use Logos for most is the Britannica Great Books library for SECULAR papers when I am attending a local junior college. I tend to move around a lot and that is the only way I can own the Great Books library.

I was using Olive Tree a lot, because it works offline, but they abandoned their Kindle Fire app. Google Playstore makes some of my Amazon apps unable to update through Amazon, so I don't want to force install Google. And this is getting WAAAY off-topic.

So ... I have decided to give Linux my everything for a bit. I purchased some new modules for BA. The quality of the older resources is so far beyond the modern journal articles that are supposed to be so much more superior. Just WOW in the comparison.

Can we start a new thread for using BA for academic research and seminary classes? First priority, I am trying to figure out how to cite the software most efficiently and accurately.

lscmbell@telus.net

Post by lscmbell@telus.net »

Since Windows 11 is now out and I cannot upgrade from Win10 to Win11 I wiped Win10 off off of my Windows Pro Book laptop and installed Debian 11.
I also installed Bible Analyzer Version 5.4.0.50. The only problem is if I use Select/Create layout and make a change the screen flickers until I logout. So I only use the Default layout. Besides that everything works great! :D

-Les-