Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Windows)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Windows)

Post by Tim »

We have a beta version of Bible Analyzer 5.4 ready to test. This version concentrates more on updating the "under the hood" code Bible Analyzer is built upon (wxPython), but there are some new features as well.

One new feature is called Cloud Sync. The capability for Bible Analyzer to save its settings to "the cloud" (Internet) has been requested by some users. With this capability users who have Bible Analyzer installed on multiple devices can save many of their files and settings to a common "cloud synced" folder such as Dropbox, Google Drive, or Onedrive. This will even work across platforms. For instance, one can work in a Windows installation of Bible Analyzer and continue in a Linux or Mac installation. Where you stop on one synced installation will be where you begin on another. This even works with multiple portable installations on the same system.

Here is the section in the Users Manual that describes Cloud Sync. It is setup from a new tab placed in Preferences.
  • Cloud Sync
    Certain Bible Analyzer settings can be synced across devices using "cloud" based systems such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Onedrive and others.

How To Use
    To use, click the "Select Folder" Button to select a folder that is normally synced to the "cloud" using your system of choice, and ensure the "Sync to Cloud" Button is checked.

Note:
    It is highly recommended that you create a subfolder under your main synced folder for the settings.

Once the folder is selected, the settings files will be saved to the synced "cloud" folder and can be read by any other Bible Analyzer 5.4 or later installation synced to the same folder.

When Sync to Cloud is selected and there are already settings data in the synced folder from another Bible Analyzer installation, the option will be given to reload the current installation with the remote settings or retain the current settings. Regardless, when the current installation is closed, its settings will replace the remote, synced folder settings.

Limitations
    Settings that define the size and layout of windows (and other setting local in scope) are not read from the synced folder. They are read from the local settings files to retain size and layout for the current device.
Some other new features include,

The Reference History now holds up to 25 references and the list is saved between runs. The list is also saved to a "cloud folder" if selected.
Two more audio verse timing indices has been added to the existing timings database. Any users who have already purchased the database can redownload to get the new timings. Another Scourby audio set has been indexed as well as a set by Paul Mims.
Several other minor fixes and enhancements are in v5.4

Linux and Mac
The wxPython code base the Bible Analyzer GUI is built upon has not yet made it into the Linux repositories for easy installation. It will be in the Ubuntu 19.10 release later this month, but likely won't be in Linux Mint until next summer. Once 19.10 is released and stable we will soon release the Linux edition of v5.4.

The Mac edition will hopefully be ready soon as well. It will be fully 64bit (as is v5.2) and should install on the latest MacOS version (Catalina, 10.15). Bible Analyzer v4.9 is 32bit and will not run on Catalina. We hope to have the issues that would not allow v5.2 to run on some systems resolved with 5.4.

Here is the beta download for Windows. Please only install it as a portable installation to test. If you use the normal setup, it will overwrite any existing Bible Analyzer files.

www.bibleanalyzer.com/bibleanalyzer540-setup.exe

If you get a crash, please send the report along. If there are any other problems, post to this topic or send me an email.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Windows)

Post by darrel_jw »

Just for your info - I have Ubuntu Mate 19.10 installed and running, and it is appearing very solid. If you need someone to test BA 5.4 for Linux I'd love to do that.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I have the Mac and Linux betas pretty close to being ready to upload for testing. I'll try to get them up in a few days.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Bigtree77

Post by Bigtree77 »

I am running the 5.4 beta on Windows 10 and it is working wonderfully. Issues I had with the version 5.3 have disappeared.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Awesome. Thanks Tim!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

One user had an issue with Bible Analyzer not starting on their Win 10 system, and I also found the previous setup I uploaded would not run on Win 7. This is likely due to some dependency or dll version issue so I compiled a new setup on my older Win 7 system. I uploaded this bundle (same file name) because it works on Win 7 and on Win 10 (19.03) system. If this works for others I'll likely distribute this bundle from Win 7. That is what v5.0-5.3 were bundled on.

This bundle also fixes a crash caused by clicking the Strong's dropdown arrow in the Bible Toolbar. (However, I forgot to update the version number. It will still say 5.4.0.20. The file date will be today, though, 10/14)
Tim Morton

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I uploaded beta 5.4.0.23 for testing. Use the same link.

This fixes some warning messages that got put into a log file when Bible Analyzer was closed, plus a couple other things.

Has anyone tried the Cloud Syncing feature between different computers or even different installations on the same computer?
Tim Morton

JPG

Post by JPG »

Hi Tim, I have tried between two different portable installations on the same computer and it was working.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Here is maybe the last beta of v5.4 (5.4.0.28). It could be called a release candidate. Same link above.

The changes made are,

Parallel texts no longer require an edition of the AV to be checked.
The export verse to ScripturePad/Editor on right-click code has been optimized.
Creating links of references in ScripturePad has been optimized to better retain formatting.
A few other small fixes.

If you have any issues, let me know. Otherwise, this version will likely be the one released.
Tim Morton

JPG

Post by JPG »

Is it normal that selecting some text in a dictionary window and pressing right mouse button, does not bring up the menu, whereas the same action without selecting text does bring up the menu.?