Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer 5.4 beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the notice.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

epement

Post by epement »

lscmbell@telus.net wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:14 am
Since Windows 11 is now out and I cannot upgrade from Win10 to Win11 I wiped Win10 off off of my Windows Pro Book laptop and installed Debian 11.
According to Microsoft, Windows 10 end-of-life is not until October 2025, so I don't see a special urgency to migrate to Windows 11.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecy ... me-and-pro

I'm one of those people who have a PC that dual-boots to Windows or Linux. In my case, I have Linux Mint, and my hardware cannot support Windows 11, so in a couple of years I should be using Linux exclusively, instead of 80% of the time as I do now.

I am in Linux most of the time, except that Zoom has better features in Windows than Linux, and occasionally I want to see how the same product compares on two different operating systems (e.g., Bible Analyzer, LibreOffice, or Visual Studio Code).

Regarding your screen flicker problems, I had some issues with the Cinnamon desktop, but fewer with the Mate desktop. You might try changing desktops to see if it helps.
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

lscmbell@telus.net

Post by lscmbell@telus.net »

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried various Linux distros and the problem continues to exist. I need a Bible that I can use under Linux so therefore I found a Bible that functions without flicker problems. However, to use it under Linux I use Crossover. It runs great under Crossover and met my needs for Bible reading and study.

I may return to Bible Analyzer once the problem is resolved.

-Les-

epement

Post by epement »

Hello Les,

What a small world. I run Linux Mint v20.3, and I also use Crossover to manage a few tools that I was unable to find good equivalents in Linux (for example, Scrivener).

Crossover has been very handy. It doesn't allow me to run anything I want, but it is sufficient for my needs.

For a couple months, I had both the Linux version of Bible Analyzer and the Crossover "bottle" of Bible Analyzer running at the same time, to compare how they worked. Getting the latest beta version of BA solved most of my problems.

Kind regards,
Eric Pement
2 Cor. 4:5

Evan

Post by Evan »

Hi, I am receiving the following error when trying to run Bible Analyzer 5.4 on Kubuntu 22.04.
Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks.

$ python3 -u /opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-run.py
3.10.4 (main, Apr 2 2022, 09:04:19) [GCC 11.2.0]
/home/administrator App dir
/home/administrator/Documents/BibleAnalyzer myDocs folder
/home/administrator/Documents/BibleAnalyzer all users
/home/administrator/Documents/BibleAnalyzer docs modules folder
/home/administrator/.config/bibleanalyzer user
0.8931124210357666 imports
Valid local config
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 8651, in OnInit
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 8655, in ShowMain
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 119, in __init__
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/analyzer5.py", line 950, in LoadModules
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/sessionMan.py", line 685, in __init__
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/sessionMan.py", line 810, in CreateDialog
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/sessionMan.py", line 861, in InitOLV
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/ObjectListView/ObjectListView.py", line 2888, in SetColumns
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/ObjectListView/ObjectListView.py", line 350, in SetColumns
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/ObjectListView/ObjectListView.py", line 2608, in RepopulateList
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/ObjectListView/ObjectListView.py", line 631, in AutoSizeColumns
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-540.zip/ObjectListView/ObjectListView.py", line 961, in _ResizeSpaceFillingColumns
TypeError: ListCtrl.SetColumnWidth(): argument 2 has unexpected type 'float'
OnInit returned false, exiting...

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

This is likely an issue with the dependencies which cannot be fixed until we get the Linux edition updated to v5.5.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Evan

Post by Evan »

Thanks, do you have an estimate on when v5.5 will come out for Linux?

Kind Regards

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Hopefully in a few weeks.
Tim Morton

Evan

Post by Evan »

Tim wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:38 pm
Hopefully in a few weeks.
Hi Tim, I'm just following up on the status of v5.5 for Linux? Do you have any updates on when it's likely to be released? Thanks.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The issue with Linux is the same old issue which is inherent in the Linux/Ubuntu/Mint etc. platform known as "Dependency hell." Dependency hell is caused by the locked repositories that most Linux distros use. For instance, Ubuntu 22.04 LTR just came out in April with a locked and unchangeable set of programs in its repository. Another LTR will not come for two more years so 22.04 users are stuck with up to two year old apps even if there are newer versions released. That is the issue with Bible Analyzer's dependencies.

Bible Analyzer relies on a platform called python-wxgtk4.0. The version in the repositories is 4.0.7 but Bible Analyzer 5.5 needs 4.2. It won't be in the repositories for the LTR until April 2024! (It may be in the intermediary releases such as upcoming 22.10, but many Linux users only use LTR releases).

I have Bible Analyzer 5.5 working on Ubuntu Mate 22.04 but I had to download a development version of wx 4.2 from source and compile it on my system to have it. That is the only way to get it now. Its a shame but under the guise of security Linux users often have to use old, outdated software.

Some have suggested using flatpak, snap, or Appimage and I have looked into them a little but have hit road blocks. One is I think some of them have to also download any dependencies from the repositories, they work in a tightly sandboxed environment which may not allow Bible Analyzer to use its Download Manager, and the resulting files are extremely large. Often hundreds of MBs.

So, I'm in a "pickle," and this is not the first time with Linux. With Windows I can compile any dependencies right along with the Bible Analyzer code and distribute it all together. With Linux this is not so easy. When the wx v4.2 is released I may be able to distribute it in the Bible Analyzer deb. The deb will be larger but the overall downloads would be the same since it would normally have to be downloaded from the repository anyway (if it was available).

Anyway, that is where Bible Analyzer 5.5 for Linux is now. It is working, but only here on my system at the moment, and now we know why even the most devout Linux users call this issue "dependency hell."
Tim Morton