Bible Analyzer 4.0 Released

The place to look for Bible Analyzer Updates and Announcements
Tim
Site Admin

Bible Analyzer 4.0 Released

Post by Tim »

We have just released the newest version of Bible Analyzer, version 4.0. It has many new features and enhancements. It can be downloaded from this page, http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/download.htm.

Here is a list of many of there major changes, or better yet download it a try it out.

* New Interface with an advanced window manager. It allows floating, docking and stacking of windows. The Positions are restored on next start. User layouts can also be saved.
* A single Quick Entry acts as input for both searches and reference lookup.
* The text from any Bible, Commentary, Dictionary, Book, and Results Page can be exported to the MultiWindow with a history.
* Multiple Bible Search option in Advanced Search with text select.
* A Harmony/Parallel Text Generator. User can make custom parallel tables on the fly by entering refs and also view premade harmony/parallel modules
* The selection of the Bible, Dictionary, and Commentary windows are saved on exit. The current verse and dictionary topic are also saved.
* A Bookmarks Menu which holds ten verse bookmarks with hot-keys. Shift+Entry will allow an existing BM to be changed.
* The Parallel Bible Display is now the last tab in the Bible Window. Its appearance has also been changed. In Parallel mode, on right click a search will search the Bible of the text clicked.
* A compact button contol is on the toolbar that contains six buttons. These allow quick and convenient maneuvering between windows.
The Jump button (J) toggles whether a click on a expanded window will jump to the object of the click. That is, a click on a word will display (jump) to the definition in the current dictionary; a click on a reference will display the current commentary, etc.
The Bible, Dictionary, Commentary and Results (B, D, C, R) buttons will expand/contract the corresponding window. It will also cause the corresponding window to display if it has been closed and dock it if floating. A second click will expand the window.
The Layout (L) button opens the Layout menu allowing saving, deleting, and restoring saved layouts.
* The window under the cursor will scroll with the mouse wheel even if it doesn't have the current focus (one window must have focus).
* Master Control Panel is larger and has a Pin Button to toggle the visibility of the tabs.
* The Commentary Panel has Book, Chapter, and Verse Buttons to view the corresponding comments (if any) of a reference.
* Verse Popup code has been completely reworked. Can now display unicode (Greek, etc.) with more formatting options.
* Reworked Export/Copy Settings in Preferences with many more settings.
* Changed some of the main and window toolbar icons. Window toolbar icons now have action on mouse cursor hover.
* Added context help button to bottom of Master Control Panel, Preferences, and some other panels.
* Related Search now searches for multi-word phrases as well. The results display is also updated. Initial display will show only refs but includes "search links" to search and display verses as normal search.
* Find "First Mention" of all words in a verse added to right-click menu.
* An online update check is available from the Help Menu. It will check for a newer version and download the setup file to the desktop if desired.
* When a word is left-clicked it will be looked up in the default dictionary. With Alt key down, the word will be looked up in the current dictionary.
* Image modules have been updated to SQLite databases like the other modules. On run Image Viewer will convert modules if necessary (Will need to restart to see them).
* A new "Bible Analyzer User Modules" folder is placed under the user's Documents folder for user created modules.
* Modules no longer need to be placed in their corresponding folders (although that is preferred).
* Plus more.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

nymusicman

Re: Bible Analyzer 4.0 Released

Post by nymusicman »

I noticed that even the linux forum area seems to be gone. Have you officially given up on us, or will Ubuntu be seeing 4.0 as well?

nymusicman

Post by nymusicman »

I apologize. The linux section isn't missing. I'm sorry, I forgot what section of the forum I was in :oops:, however the question still applies. Although I was wondering, if we don't like the new window layout is there a way to go back to the old one. One of the most unique things I liked about BA was the ability to adjust all 4 windows with one mouse click.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The new Window Layout is much more versatile than the previous, but you can go back to v3.9 if you wish.

I am beginning to get v4 working on Linux now. Hopefully in a few days it will be ready.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hi Tim,

Let me start to give you some positive feedback.
1. The harmony generator/tool works fine and is very helpful. Thank you for it.
2. The implementation of UTF-8 encoding including Greek characters works also fine, even in the dictionary part of the program. Also soon as possible I will publish a morphological dictionary of NT Greek.
3. With Wine the Windows version runs nice on Linux (But you know, a special Linux version is to be preferred).

Besides this nice improvements, there are still some things to do (I think).

1. In the harmony tool you cannot display Greek characters, a Greek Harmony of the Gospels can add much value to your program.
2. With a Greek dictionary there are problems with clicking. See the screen-shot I uploaded below:
When I click on a Greek word the program answers that is wasn't found but the correct item is selected in the listbox although the content of the entry is not viewed.
3. Hebrew characters stood in the wrong direction.

Thank you and the Lord bless you,

Johan Mouthaan
As for Me and My Mouse, We Will Serve the Lord.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for your input.

If you can provide us with a Greek Harmony of the Gospels we will try to adapt the Parallel Generator to work with it.

If you can provide a link to the Greek Dictionary you are having issues with we will look at it as well.
Tim Morton

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hi Tim,

A link to an Greek NT in UTF-8 is http://theologicallibraryportal.yolasit ... gelles.bib

A link to my test file for a Greek Dictionary is here http://theologicallibraryportal.yolasit ... ba/GD2.dct

Johan
As for Me and My Mouse, We Will Serve the Lord.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Johan,

Thank you very much for these modules. I have looked at them and will tweak them a little to better work with Bible Analyzer. One thing I have done is tag the Greek text in the Bible and apparatus for the Galaxy Unicode Greek font Bible Analyzer uses. This will allow the user to set the default font to anything they wish and still be able to view the proper font in the Greek (or Hebrew) texts. One issue is the "angled" marks in the text the font cannot display and substitutes square boxes,
Square boxes for marks
Square boxes for marks
greek brackets.png (19.78 KiB) Viewed 26966 times
These must need a different font.

Concerning other things you mentioned,
With the 4.0.5 update (available soon) it is now possible to view any Bible text, including Greek, in the Parallel Generator.
The word click issue should be resolved.
The reversed Hebrew characters issue is not yet resolved but I'm looking into it.

Lord willing we will have this update ready soon.
Tim Morton

JPG

Post by JPG »

Hi, SBL do provide fonts that have all the chars to work properly.
http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/Bib ... Greek.aspx

Jon

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

We have modified the module specification to allow a dedicated font in Bible, Commentary, and Dictionary modules. This is implemented in v4.0.6 which is available now.

Here is the SBLGNT Bible module with the Apparatus as a Commentary module. The required Greek font will be installed as well. The modules have this font designated,
http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/free/BA-SBL.exe

Anyone who makes a module with a text that requires a specific font for display can now designate the font in the module. This must be done with SQLite tools (such as Firefox's SQLite add-on). The Module Creator in Bible Analyzer does not yet have a place for it. A designated font allows the user to set a default font that is better suited for English (or other Latin based texts) while still having a different font for others.
Tim Morton