New Modules

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
Brother Mike

New Modules

Post by Brother Mike »

I downloaded from the store several bundles.

I seem to be having some issues, at least the only I know up, some of the dictionary modules.

Before we get too far, BA 3.0 and Win7.

I installed the modules and the default install directory, which went to /Program data/Bible Analyzer/Modules.

I was having some issues in seeing some of the new dictionary modules, namely Easton, ISBE, American Tract, concise, web1828, and fausset.

I renamed the d-filename.dct and d-filename.idx and all seemed to work fine.

I copied my modules directory to the 3.9 portable and I saw several references to the dictionaries in the list and in the manage library pane. I cannot seem to these to work correctly. This also seems to be happening in the 4.0 RC portable installation as well.

Not sure what is going on here

Thanks
Bro. Mike

Brother Mike

Re: New Modules

Post by Brother Mike »

Update

I have renamed all the files in the dictionary folder for 3.9 standard to d-filname.xxx that did not have that designation. Some of which are the new one's I purchased.

In 3.9 standard all appears to work well. In 3.9 portable and 4.0RC the program does not see them properly, missing, or I have multiple entries in my Library manager pane and dictionary list pane.

Is there anyway to tell 3.9 port and 4.0RC to refresh the dictionary list and sync it with the directory?

Even removing the portable versions and reinstalling does not seem to help. I still see multiple entries in the dictionary lists. Where is this info being held? I am just deleting the directory as there does not seem to be an uninstall program. But the dictionary list seems to be persistent.

3.9 portable has come in handy and I have enjoyed working with 4.0

Thanks
Bro. Mike

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

First, do not try to copy or rename the .idx files. They are generated on each run if not found. Basically what they are is a list of topics for dcts or verses for cmts. It is much quicker for the app to search the small .idx file than the large .cmt file. However, between versions of a module, the name will be the same but the data can be different thus every thing can get out of sync.

The best thing to do when in doubt is delete all the .idx files found anywhere under the Modules folder and then run Bible Analyzer. It will make new ones.

Second, the portable versions will only look for modules under the Modules folder in the same folder as the app. But there is a difference between 3.9 and 4.0. In 3.9 the modules must be in their respective sub-folders. Dct in Modules/Dictionary; cmt in Modules/Commentary; etc. But with 4.0 they can be anywhere under the Modules folder. Thus if one has two copies of a module say one in Modules/ and the other in Modules/Dictionary/, there will be two instances in the application.

Hopefully, this will not be an issue to the normal user, but I can see how it can be to beta-testers who are copying files and such to test.

The normal installation (non-portable) of version 4 will look for modules in three places. First in a new Bible Analyzer User Modules folder under the user's Documents folder; in the normal ProgramData folder and in the application Modules/ folder. I hope this doesn't cause problems. The issue is many users can not even find their ProgramData (All Users in XP) folder to work with their modules (they are hidden by default) so I made a user folder under Documents. This is where all user created modules will go. The official mods will install in the normal ProgramData folder. Things were simpler in the "old days" of Win-98. Now Windows complains if certain files are not in certain places.

Delete you .idx files and try again. Also, be sure the portable.ini file is still in the v4 app folder.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Funny thing happens. If I delete the Modules folder from the 4.0 RC directory, when I run it, it still has dictionaries, and commentaries, Bibles, etc.

It must be finding these things somewhere else. I have no other modules in the same folder. I checked the portable.ini, it is there.