Some suggestions

Suggestions and Ideas about new features
J.N.Mouthaan

Some suggestions

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hello,

Here are some suggestions for making BA more attractive for users, in particular for biblical scholars and pastors.

1. Add a feature for Gospel Harmonies (with possibility also of harmonies for other scripture places). Programs as e-sword and laparola have also such features and it is necessary for good exegesis.

2. The search functions of ba are very good in comparison with other free software, but this can be further improved by adding a special intertextuality finder (a tool that look for a specified body of texts in other parts of the Bible).

3. Maybe you can make special grammatical features in your program. For example:
A morphological analyzator (not an English word, but you know what I mean) for Greek and Hebrew. Grammars of Greek and Hebrew which are linked to specified words of constructions.

4. A place for the apocryphal books (when you have theological objections, I can understand, they are only useful for detailed study of the context of Scripture).

Good luck with programming version 4!

With kind regards,

Johan
As for Me and My Mouse, We Will Serve the Lord.

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the suggestions.

There is a gospel harmony in the Books Viewer under Lists and Tables. Do you mean a dedicated or separate harmonies feature?

Could you give me an example of how an "intertextuality finder" would work? I'm not sure what you mean.

Morphological tools may be in a future version but we are not concentrating on them as yet.

The AV 1611 edition apocryphal books can be found in under the books as well, but they cannot be searched as Bible texts. So as to not cause confusion between genuine bible books and apocryphal books, we have no plans or intention to change the Bible display from the 66 book canon. However, the Books Viewer can display virtually any text.

Version 4 is coming along. We will give some details of the new features and changes soon.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your response. With a harmony function I mean that you have separated text columns of for example the four gospels and not only the references such as in the list and tables in the bookviewer.
Maybe you can build such a thing also in the bookviewer? Please look add the harmony function in e-sword, Rick Meyers also put it in a kind of bookviewer.

An intertextuality finder is a tool that works like a plagiarism program, it locate similar texts as the source text. For example you give up Jer. 1:8 and the tool search trough the whole Bible to look if there are others texts which have 2 or more words of the sentence. Especially for the Old Testament is this a useful feature because most Bible translations don't mention that some texts are also be found in other books of the Old Testament. When you can locate this, you can see how the Bible comment on itself.

Your answer on the apocryphal books I understand.

Johan
As for Me and My Mouse, We Will Serve the Lord.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for your clarification.

We will consider a more dedicated harmony viewer.

Concerning the "intertextuality finder," version 4 will have a much more robust "Related Verse/Phrase search which will search for phrases as well as individual words. The user can enter (or import) a verse ref and then select anywhere from single words to up to a five word phrase indexed from each word. For example, Joh 3:16 with a three word phrase option would output,

for god so
god so loved
so loved the
loved the world
etc.

Then the user would select any or multiple phrases as a search criteria.

I believe this would produce the same result as what you suggested.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

rytuser

Post by rytuser »

I am a reader of bible in any way. I have tried some bible software to make my study available even at my office. I am also planning to design my own to and integrate the features I am looking.
My Movie Bible