Bible Analyzer 3.9.1

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
jayman

Bible Analyzer 3.9.1

Post by jayman »

Hi Tim,

I'm new to your software, but I've used a large number of bible software programs in the past. It's obvious that you gave a lot of thought to what you wanted to achieve with BA, and I'm highly impressed by what you've developed. What I especially like is the importer. I very much hope that you will continue to develop this part of your program - it would be great to be able to import from additional sources. The Text to Speech option also shows potential. There are a number of other features I like, but what I mentioned particularly caught my attention.

I have two computers. On my notebook I am running Windows XP and everything works great; on my desktop I'm running Vista, and I was not able to get the program to open after completing the installation. To be able to use your software on both machines, I simply uninstalled BA from my desktop machine and installed your portable version instead; it works great running the portable version directly from my hard drive. I'm not worried about a fix for right now, but I thought this feedback might be useful to you.

In Him,

Jay

Atlas

Re: Bible Analyzer 3.9.1

Post by Atlas »

Jay,

Welcome to the forum my friend. I'm glad you like BA and it is helping you in your Bible study.

Atlas
John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, thanks for the info. It is helpful.

Different flavors of Vista can be a problem. We have an XP, Vista, and 7 systems here and Bible Analyzer is working on them all, but there are variations between the OSs that we don't have. If you get any kind of error report or log, please send it along and we will work on a solution.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

jayman

Post by jayman »

Hi Tim,

I wrote to you earlier and mentioned that I was not able to complete a successful installation of BA on my computer running Vista. Even though there are differences between Vista and XP, the two operating systems are actually quite similar. One change in Vista is that the AppData folder replaced the Documents and Settings folder in XP. In Vista, the AppData folder is also hidden by default. If there is a problem with the AppData folder, a number of programs can't be installed (including yours). If your installation program does not have access to AppData, the config.ini file can't be created and you receive an error message when you try to open BA . I knew that the problem was with my computer and not your software. This is because your portable version of BA worked fine on my Vista machine.

Even though it's possible to fix this problem by making changes to the registry, there's fortunately an easier solution. I simply went into the Control Panel and created a new account in User Account. Once this was done, I installed BA successfully under the new account I had created. Even though it took me awhile to figure out what was wrong, I learned several things during the process. I hope this information is of some value to you and other users.

Blessings,

Jay

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, this info is helpful. I'm glad you found the problem and was able to resolve it.

Microsoft, in spite of what they claim, still has some issues with their requirements for Data locations. Originally Bible Analyzer stored all the user data and modules under the application folder, (much like the portable version), but Vista and 7 complain about this and create "Virtual folders" and copy the data and user files there to run. They will not allow an application to write to the Program Files folder. So we spent a considerable amount of time changing the installation and location of files to satisfy "Big Brother," and now as you mentioned sometimes they will not even let the application write to the designated data folders.

Things like this cause me a lot of headaches.

I'm glad you found a solution, thanks.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)