Modules For Linux

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
Tim
Site Admin

Modules For Linux

Post by Tim »

Here are a couple zip files of mods which can be easily extracted for Linux.

http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/free/BA-Dct.zip
http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/free/BA-Cmt.zip

These are the Commentary and Dictionary free mods. We will have these and others listed on the website when 3.9 for Linux is released.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

M-Paul

Re: Modules For Linux

Post by M-Paul »

OK, I downloaded both of these modules to the Desktop. I clicked on them, and that didn't do anything. I extracted them, and folders appeared on the Desktop, one Dictionary, one Commentary. I moved the folders to the Bibleanalyzer folder at Home. That didn't do anything. I moved them to Modules - nothing. I moved them to the Dictionay and Commentary files in Modules - nothing. I moved them back to the Desktop, opened them, and moved three dictionaries and three commentaries to the Modules Dictionary and Commentary folders. BINGO!! BINGO!!! These show up in the BA software now. I hope I did this right.

Ok, I'll start experimenting from time to time and report my findings.

So far it all looks really neat!! This testing should be fun. I'm learning more and more about the software in my beta testing, and that really is to my advantage.

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

I've tested the modules somewhat -- and it all seems to work quite well. The dictionaries have a glitch. If I have the Bible window open and click on a word, not all the dictionaries appear in the pop up window. Different ones will appear depending on which one is highlighted in the main dictionary window. I thought it was interesting that in the main dictionary window, sometimes all the entries have tabs, and some times I have to use the arrow at the side to see all entries. I think the commentary tabs were the same in that respect.

Someone mentioned earlier there was an annoying pop up window problem. I experienced that. I think I was in the commentary section, and a pop up window gave a verse text, but a second pop up window, indicating the source, covered the first line of the first window.

I'll keep taking a look at things, in between doing a number of projects I have going. Things have been real busy lately, but there are always those odd moments.

Apparently there is no 3.9 portable to test.

The module I would be most interested in is, the one with Scrivner and the DBD. It would be curious to see how they have the DBD set up. So, when these are ready, please post an announcement, and I'll give it a try -- assuming the shopping cart looks comfortable for credit cards. I use Kiel & Deitridge -- that will probably be interesting. And the LXX would be nice. But I'm not in any hurry.

Well, I didn't find any help in the modules I have so far with Habbakkuk chapter three -- but that's OK, cause there are limits to these things. ;)

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

After I made my last post, the thought occurred to me, that Tim had advised I could open modules in Windows and then transfer resources to Linux, if I had version 3.9. I delayed on this in wondering how to uninstall 3.8 in Windows. But now I thought I would install 3.9 beside 3.8 and give some other modules a try --- I downloaded 3.9 portable. However, in trying to install, a screen came up checking components to be installed as 3.8. I canceled, and a screen came up asking if I wanted to stop installing 3.9. Hmm... so if I continue with the installation, what goes in... 3.8, which does not work with modules, or 3.9 which does???

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

If the file name has 3.9 in it it is version 3.9. It is possible I overlooked a place where it says 3.8 in the setup. It will install 3.9.

3.9 will read all 3.8 modules (except an older web1828), but 3.8 will not read the new modules that came out with 3.9 (Companion Bible, NET, etc.)
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

Actually, I wonder how the beta testing went for Windows on 3.9. I installed 3.9 portable in Windows, so that I could download some modules and transfer them to Linux. One would think the process of installing modules would be the same for Windows as Linux. But it is not.

After downloading Windows modules, there is nothing to click for an upzip to create the bundle folder to transfer into a module. One has to double click the bundle downloaded. A screen appears for installation into Documents and Settings/admin/Desktop and after clicking on that, a screen appears for installation into Documents and Settings/admin/Application data/Bible analyzer... And there is no such thing, apparently, as an Application data folder.

So there are no folders to be found after downloading a module in Windows and clicking on the zipped file. I think the modules do not actually work in Windows, so I will not be able to transfer a Windows module download to Linux.

Also, 3.9 portable still does not appear in the remove programs menu or the start menu for programs. I wonder if the 3.8 and 3.9 have this peculiarity because they are the portable. Maybe, I should have installed the non-portable 3.9 BA. Maybe, that would have made a difference?

Well, patience is a virtue. It's in the Bible.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The modules are the same for both Windows and Linux,

They must be installed manually in Linux and the Windows Portable.

Only the Windows setup version has an uninstall. The portable is designed to be copied to a portable device and then the folder deleted from the hard drive if desired.

Simply extract the modules from the Zip files and place them in the proper modules folder in Linux or portable Windows. The exe module files will install for the setup version only.
Tim Morton

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

I don't understand.

In Linux, I unzipped the downloaded folder, which created a new folder, and I moved the resources to the corresponding folder within the Modules folder -- dictionaries to the Dictionary folder, commentaries to the Commentary folder. One would think that adding the bundles in Windows would work the same way. However, there is no way to unzip the downloaded modules in Windows. If I right click on the downloaded icon, there is no extract option.

Or are you saying, that if I install the 3.9 version that is not portable, then when I right click on the downloaded bundle icon, there will be an extract option. That doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it is a possibility.

At any rate, as things are now, there is no way to unzip in Windows, as there was in LInux.