Module Location In Ubuntu 9.04

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
paeuk

Module Location In Ubuntu 9.04

Post by paeuk »

Hi Tim,

I did have the Linux BA 3.7 version working fine on Ubuntu 8.x but having upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 I'm having problems with getting the additional module files recognised.

I've tried installing them in /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules where I see the default modules are present. But BA will not load them from that location.

I also tried under /home/paul/public/Bible_Analyzer/Modules and /home/paul/public/Modules but in all cases the modules are never discovered

Do you have any recommendation please.

I also tried installing 3.9 under Wine and it seems to work quite well. The only main problem I've come across is that the right click context menu disappears when I move the mouse up the menu to try and select an option . . . can't select stuff most of the time since the right click menu list just disappears too fast - it doesn't wait until I have selected something.

One other question. With the AV Strongs Bible version the Strong's Numbers in the Bible text are without the H and G for Hebrew/Greek and so won't auto select in the Hebrew Greek Dictionaries. Is there any way to work around this problem.

Thanks again for a great program. Hoping I can get the 3.9 working fully under Wine to take advantage of the new features and also the new material that you're making available in the Modules).

Thanks
Paul

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Module Location In Ubuntu 9.04

Post by Tim »

Linux is pretty stingy with its permissions. Getting like Windows in that regard. I could find no possible way to
write to the home/users folder with a .deb file. So the mods must be installed in the usr folder until the first run of Bible Analyzer when it copies then to the home/user folder. They must be there for the Module Creation Tools to have permission to work. The usr folder is restricted. Its all a mess.

Try deleting the config.ini file and see what happens (with the mods in the home folder). If that doesn't work, delete it again and copy the mods to the usr location like you tried before. Bible Analyzer should copy them to the home folder on first run.

If this doesn't work, let me know.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

paeuk

Post by paeuk »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the help! :)

Your mentioning of the config.ini made me hunt for it, since I couldn't find it under the usr/share/bibleanalyzer folder and I discovered the hidden bibleanalzer folder until /home/paul, where I also found a modules folder!

From previous threads about folder location I had been working on the basis of the home/users/public folder was the location of the Modules. Anyway - I copied the modules into the hidden folder modules location and voila! all the modules now appear in BA :) So thanks for the pointer.

I still have the problem with BA on my EEE (the main usage install of BA) where the 1024x600 resolution EEE screen means that I have to run BA in unminimized mode since when maximised it extends beyond the base of the EEE screen rather than shrink itself to fit the screen. Also with unminimised I cannot reduce the height of the window (trying to has no effect) so still can't see the bottom part of the screen. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks again

Paul

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Glad it works. You can delete all the modules in the other locations. I actually forgot about the hidden folder. I may try to get 3.9 working in Ubuntu soon. There is a considerable amount of button resizing and such has to be done because of the different size of the elements in Linux. Most in Linux is larger.

For the EEE issue try going to the config.ini file and editing the size entry to

size = (1024, 600)

and see what happens. You may have to tweak it a little from the that size to get it right.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

paeuk

Post by paeuk »

Hi Tim,

The size parameter in config.ini appears to get overwritten by the application when it starts and does show a value of (1024,600) after running BA, but it's definitely taller than 600pixels :)

I've tried 550 etc. but makes no difference due to the over-writing by the app.

Thanks
Paul

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Well, it was worth a try, I guess. I don't have a EEE to test with and can't say what else to try with 3.7. I may be able to resolve that in 3.9.
Tim Morton

paeuk

Post by paeuk »

ok. Thanks Tim. Appreciated.

Paul