3.9 for linux

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
nymusicman

3.9 for linux

Post by nymusicman »

It would be really great to get 3.9 for linux. Even if you had to drop the audio and just give all the other updates and bug fixes, I know I would really appreciate it.

Tim
Site Admin

Re: 3.9 for linux

Post by Tim »

When I get time I'll work on the Linux edition. It will not have text-to-speech. I'm not sure about the audio.

The sad thing about the Linux edition is I get almost no input, comments, or requests for it and sometimes I wonder if it is worth my time adapting Bible Analyzer to work on it. It seems to be little downloaded or utilized. I suppose not too many Linux users are interested in it, or Bible study in general since other Linux Bible apps seem to be slowly developed as well.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

nymusicman

Post by nymusicman »

I will see what I can do to help spread the word. Your software really is a blessing to those of us who use it. Please don't give up on us yet.

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

Tim wrote:The sad thing about the Linux edition is I get almost no input, comments, or requests for it and sometimes I wonder if it is worth my time adapting Bible Analyzer to work on it. It seems to be little downloaded or utilized. I suppose not too many Linux users are interested in it, or Bible study in general since other Linux Bible apps seem to be slowly developed as well.
Well, I once was told Linux users are liberals... but I'm not.

I don't like other Linux Bible software, only yours. I posted a link to your webpage in the Ubuntu Forum and it got a lot of views and some positive response. I hope my webpage link is helping to make your software known, as I think it is a blessing for Linux users. I always pray for Linux software, and I also pray for BibleAnalyzer.

For me, Linux is such a wonderful blessing. I think it will become popular as it advances just a little further. I hope so. We deserve better than Windows, and to do what I do on a Mac would cost me $3,000 with the software I need, on most of which I would mainly being paying for overkill. And then there are the horrible activation stories.

I think what is hurting Linux is, that most people want to begin with a dual boot, and the partition divider isn't good enough to accomplish how they want it done. With XP, if they just install the Windows Easeus partition divider, which is free and very easy to use, and then do a manual install in Linux, also easy, it just all goes straight in. However, 9.10 with the new file system and grub loader just had too many bugs, which slowed things as well.

But... I think the day is coming when Linux, especially Ubuntu, will just take off. The last kinks will finally be resolved. If that happens, those with a head start on software development could flourish. I hope you stick with it, as I see a great need for what you have coming. I suspect it is no accident you are in position with Linux on this software. That's why I always check back in this forum to see what is going on, but I was especially busy these last few weeks, or maybe, a month or so.

MPaul

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words!

Linux has grown a lot over the years and is quite impressive, but it does lack some things people want. I would say probably about 5% of my correspondence about Bible Analyzer is on the Linux version. Many either don't know about Bible Analyzer or they are not interested. I think I got two or three requests to make the 3.8 version so I just didn't take the time

Nevertheless, we will continue to develop the Linux edition for the foreseeable future. Who knows what the Lord may do with it. 3.9 beta is up on another thread.

Concerning Mac, we actually had a Mac edition of version 2 but when OS X 10.5 came out my old G4 wouldn't run it, and I couldn't afford a new (gold-plated) Mac to develop it on. Unless we get considerable requests for it, we are not going to invest in a pricey Mac.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

nymusicman

Post by nymusicman »

Will you be posting the linux 3.9.3 update for linux soon? I'm excited about using tske in the tsk reference window.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Lord willing, the 3.9 for Linux will be up by next weekend.
Tim Morton

bstill

Post by bstill »

I am knew to all of this need help putting things into BA I have ubuntu 10.10 and can not add anything to it. Tried the terminal but it says cannot create file not found. Tried to put in tske.cmt and some dct but nothing works, can not copy them to the right folders.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The modules must be placed in the .bibleanalyzer\modules folder under your home folder. This folder may be hidden so you will need to show it. Once they are in the proper folders, Bible Analyzer should find them on the next run.
Tim Morton

srice

Post by srice »

Sorry I was out on a trip Preaching, and didn't have regular access to the web! bstill - As Bro. Tim stated, you need to put them in the .bibleanalyzer folder in your home folder. Open Nautilus, and hit 'ctrl h' and it will show you the hidden folders. Once you see them (they start with a .) double click on .bibleanalyzer and then click on the modules with the folders, you will need to put them in the right folders, if you still have trouble, please post back and we will get this worked out! However doing that graphically should keep everything working fine. To re-hide the hidden folders just press 'ctrl h' again and they will be hidden again.

Shane
Serving the King,
Shane Rice
Romans 12:1-2
http://www.ricefamilyministries.com