Bible Analyzer 4.8 Linux Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Bible Analyzer 4.8 Linux Beta

Post by Tim »

We have the Linux beta of v4.8 ready to test. Here is the link,

http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/bibleanaly ... -1_all.deb

See the Windows 4.8 features page to see what's new, http://bibleanalyzer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=586

One change with the Linux edition, modules downloaded with the Download Manager will install into the User's home folder. This is to make things easier for the user and also us. Otherwise, we would have to have the user enter their password with each download session, which could get tedious. Dealing with permissions in Linux adds to the complexity of the code, also. The most issues we have with the Linux edition is dealing with permissions. Many users do not understand them.

In fact, if we can get by with it in the Ubuntu Software Center, we may try placing all modules under the users home folder as we did a couple versions back. This will make things simpler for all.

If you have any crashes or issues with this beta, send us the report and we will fix them as we get time.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Re: Bible Analyzer 4.8 Linux Beta

Post by MPaul »

Should I uninstall the current BA on my OS, or can I just download and install the new version over top of the last one?

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You can install it on top, but the installer may complain if the one you have now is from the software center. Or you can uninstall.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

The new version does not work. I'm trying it on Ubuntu 13.10. Normally, I do not use the October version of Ubuntu, as it can be buggy, and it seems to me to be a step toward the April version. However, I like 13.10, as it is so fast and sleek.

I installed over top. The program will not open. On clicking on it, the BA screen appears for less than one second, and then, nothing happens.

So I removed BA, and installed it again. No changes, except two BA icons appeared in the launcher for some reason. Neither worked.

As the download of BA was extremely slow, I removed it, and downloaded it again. It was faster this time, but still slow. However, on installing there were no changes. It will not open. There are still two icons in the launcher.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Hi Tim

Great news on 4.8.

I just installed it on Ubuntu 13.10. Loads wonderfully. No start up issues. Downloaded from your link and installed through software center. It handled like an upgrade.

Will let you know as I use it if anything comes up. Thank you Tim for your wonderful support of the Linux community seeking great Christian software to study God's word.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Here is what the terminal says --

************ Starting Bible Analyzer *************
/home/mpaul App dir
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer home user folder
/opt/bibleanalyzer all users
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer docs modules folder
/home/mpaul/.config/bibleanalyzer user
/opt/bibleanalyzer/modules/bible/asv.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/akjv.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/av1769s.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/translit.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/tyndale.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/geneva.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/bishops.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/pickNT.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/tri.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/kj2000.bib needs new word list
/home/mpaul/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/bible/av1611.bib needs new word list
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-run.py", line 6, in <module>
app = analyzer4.MyApp()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7981, in __init__
self._BootstrapApp()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7555, in _BootstrapApp
return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/bibleanalyzer-4.8.zip/analyzer4.py", line 6918, in OnInit
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/bibleanalyzer-4.8.zip/analyzer4.py", line 6922, in ShowMain
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/bibleanalyzer-4.8.zip/analyzer4.py", line 84, in __init__
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/bibleanalyzer-4.8.zip/analyzer4.py", line 821, in LoadModules
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/bibleanalyzer-4.8.zip/utility.py", line 257, in GetWdList
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 522, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 709, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1326, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Press Enter to close terminal

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

For some reason the temp file that holds the Bible index list is not found. It will be the end of the week before I can look at it.
Tim Morton

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The non starting issue because of the notes.usr is fixed, I believe. Also, the multiple request for your password issue is fixed. It should only ask once when certain new mods are installed.

To run, the zero byte notes.usr file in your
home/USER/.config/bibleanalyzer
folder must be removed. Bible Analyzer will build a new one.

Same beta link as in first post.
Tim Morton

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

OK, that was easy. I went to the home folder and hit ctlr + h. Then, I clicked .config, and then the BibleAnalyzer file. Then, I deleted notes.usr. On opening BA I was prompted for my laptop password, and then the program opened beautiful like.

I want to try to use BA during the week, and then, I will let you know how it works.

Thank you, and try to stay warm.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I haven't tried BA beta yet, but I have been opening it, and I'd like to mention what has gone on. Although Tim reported the multiple requests for password is fixed -- maybe that means after a reinstallation???

After I had deleted note.usr, on clicking on BA, I was prompted for the OS password, and then the program opened. The prompt said a list for new bibles had to be made. However, every following time I tried to open BA, the same prompt came up for a password, noting the list had to be made. But if I just clicked "cancel," instead of giving the password, the program opened. I wonder, would the program have opened on the first password prompt, if I had just clicked "cancel"?

The new bibles that the program has to make a list for are in the Bible folder of the BA folder in Documents. So I moved the Bible folder to the desktop, and on opening BA, the prompt for a password came up, noting a list had to be made for the new bibles. Oh, well.