Dictionary

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
Brother Mike

Dictionary

Post by Brother Mike »

Not sure if this is a problem or not, but...

When I use the "Webster's Dictionary" (unabridged), when I select it, my busy icon is active for a LONG time. I am guessing that this may be to the size and / or number of entries in the volume, but just wanted to make sure. The word list does not update either.

I sometime get this behaviour with ISBE (also a large publication)

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Dictionary

Post by Tim »

Large modules can be slower than others, depending on your system. Sometimes even more so in Linux. If the Webster's Abridged works at a reasonable speed, then that is the cause. It is less than a third the size of the unabridged. Gill's commentary is the largest module, around 50 meg. It just takes a few seconds for a computer to make its way through it. Personally, I don't load the real big ones until needed.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

I am still going to take a stab that something in the Dictionary module is not working well. The other option is that I am not working well.

This first screen shot is the normal start up screen (Page 1.png)
page 1.png
page 1.png (119.02 KiB) Viewed 14275 times
The next screen, I select the Webster Dictionary (abridged) and type blood in the search field (page 2.png). Notice that Vines (OT) and the full Webster's has a blue book, so, blood should be in that dictionary too, correct?
page 2.png
page 2.png (114.65 KiB) Viewed 14275 times
I select vines, and there is no definition. The search field is blank. The dict panel has: "not found in this Dictionary". The sunject appears to be missing. (Page 3.png)
page 3.png
page 3.png (107.55 KiB) Viewed 14270 times
The Nave dictionary is the only blue booked item at this point. (Page 4.png)

(Well, I am captive of the 3 upload limit, but I think you get the idea. If you want my other 2 screen shots, let me know)

Now, I am no expert, but it does appear that the subject is not getting passed from one dict to another. This is happening in the "left-click" a word in the Bible Pane as well. It comes up as appropiate in my default dict, but after that, it does not appear in any other dictionary. Again, Nave is the only blue booked dictionary, even though Easton is displaying a definition. Salome was my left-click choice. (Page 5.png)

Ubuntu 8.10
Bible Analyzer 3.6.1

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I notice in the last image the Search Entry Box is empty. Did it clear itself when you switched tabs? That is where the app gets the currently selected word to flag the tabs. Also there is no word before the "not found..." text because of this. Can you check and see what sequence causes this word to clear?
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Yes, it clears when I change tabs.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

OK. Another Linux anomaly. I crank up Ubuntu and sort it out in a day or two.

Thanks
Tim Morton