Linux 4.7 Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Linux 4.7 Beta

Post by Tim »

We have the Linux 4.7.2 beta ready to test. It has essentially all the features of the Windows and Mac editons of 4.7. For details of what's new in 4.7 see the 4.7 see here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=549.

This version has been tested on Ubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 15 with Mate desktop. In fact, we have made Linux Mint our development OS because of the efficiency and clean GUI it offeres. We are not a fan of the clunky and slow Unity desktop Ubuntu now provides. Mint is faster, less of a resource hog, and more intuitive as far as I'm concerned. But it still has full access to the Ubuntu repositories and Software Center.

Here is the link, http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/bibleanaly ... -2_all.deb. It should work on 32bit and 64bit systems.

Post on this forum any issues you encounter. Once it is in good order we will submit it to the Software Center.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Re: Linux 4.7 Beta

Post by Brother Mike »

Excellent, Tim. Wonderful news.

Is this the same as the beta I have, or has it changed?

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Essentially the same. The mp3 files would play in te Audio Player with Mint so I don't know why they won't on your Debian. Did the Scourby files play for you? I don't remember.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Scourby used to play in Ubuntu. They will not in Debian. Still says I have no audio engine. As I said, not a killer for me as I will use my iPod if I want to listen to them. I usually do not do so when studying.

Great work on the Linux version. Thanks for your love for the Lord and your support of the Linux community.

Brother Mike

Copy / Paste

Post by Brother Mike »

I have had issues before with this, but sure not working now.

I can Copy/Paste fine WITHIN BA, but trying to paste outside of BA just does not work, with any method (file menu, right click, export, etc)

I have tried with and without a clipboard manager. No go. Will continue to investiaget. Just an FYI

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, this has been an issue with others. I'll try to sort it out.
Tim Morton

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I have the beta installed on my 64 bit laptop with Ubuntu 13.04. (I had to give up on Mint, as it was so slow and klunky, and got more so with each update. Ubuntu is fast, sleek, and smooth, and now in 13.04, it is unbelievable how fast and nice it functions).

I opened the help menu first in my old BA version to verify its version number, and there was no way to make the About Bible Analyzer screen go away. I had to close the program from the launcher panel. After I upgraded, I had the same problem. There is no way to close the screen. I have verified the new version is installed, but in the launcher panel, the roll over still shows 4.6 -- but does that really matter?

I'm rather busy of late, but I do want to test out this new version, and I should make some more posts on it later.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I think the beta functions about as well as before, but it has the new features. However, I could not find the manual.

This is what I think BA really needs -- a quick start manual. The software has become complex. I do not use it every day. In fact, I often go long periods without using it. I have to spend most of my time with the Hebrew and Greek. Then, when I go back to BA, I cannot remember how to do things. I think there should be a quick reference guide that has the most often used commands set out -- a refresher. I just do not have the time to relearn everything periodically.

But it is a great program, and I'm glad it keeps getting better and better.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, that is something that could be useful. We may try to make one sometime.
Tim Morton

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I just got the update, and the program works real nice, and even shows 4.7 in the launcher panel. Still, there is no way to close the About Bible Analyzer window.

At any rate, I noticed that there is now a Bible Analyzer folder in the Documents file. It is empty. So what is that for? Is it Ok to delete it?