Internal data format of a module

Deals with using and making modules and other resources
mhs

Internal data format of a module

Post by mhs »

Hello forum, my first post here.

I'm looking at your AV1611 module, which is the best that I have found because it is in database format (sqlite), and it has all the original references, italics etc.

After looking at the module with sqlite3, sqlitebrowser, etc., it seems the structure is intact, with both "ref" and "verse" data in its "bible" table. However the "verse" data seems to be in binary BLOB format. Its my understanding that this is not necessarily the fault of sqlite, as it happily stores the data in the format the application sent it. So I want to know what is this format and/or how to convert the data out of blob format and into text.

(The "Export Copy/Verse(s)" feature did not help because it dropped all the references (they are not actually being exported). I've verified this in the Linux build and observed the same in the MSWIN build on Wine.)

Ultimately, using the module text of this bible, with some additional formatting, dropcaps, leaf numbers and repagination, perhaps a way could be developed for anyone to make a full-size printing of the KJB. I feel it could be easily done if I had the text to work with.

Mark

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Internal data format of a module

Post by Tim »

Welcome to the forum.

The reason the text itself is a "blob" is it is encrypted. The reason is the brother who typed all the text in over a two year period requested it and we complied. Several years ago (in the mid 90s) he made his first draft of the 1611 edition and he showed it to someone and they "hijacked" it. Soon thereafter he saw his text distributed in various forms all over the place in web sites, Bible programs like e-sword, etc. He contacted some of them telling them the text was his work an not complete and it was in a sense stolen from him and they ignored and even ridiculed him.

Several years ago he contacted us and the subject of the 1611 came up and he told us it was his work and was able to prove it by showing us some of the errors in the texts all floating about. It is easy to conclude that all the existing 1611 texts came from the same source because they all have these same errors that only he knew about. After talking about it some more we encouraged him to take the 1611 up again, and he did. He went through the whole text again, correcting the earlier errors and adding the chapter headings.

Then in early 2011 we were discussing the anniversary of the 1611 and how it would be nice to have the marginal notes, cross references, alternate readings, etc. found in the printed edition in digital format, and he spent all summer typing those in. While he was doing that we spent a good amount of time formatting the text, inserting the notes, developing the "thorn characters" (which don't exist in any font we know of) and modifying Bible Analyzer to better display the text. In October 2011 it was complete. The only complete digital edition of the 1611 King James Bible available.

Because of his earlier experiences with "Christian Publishers," he did not want to supply the text to them and let them act like they developed it. He licensed it exclusively to us. Yes, it is a public domain text, but the "labourer is worthy of his hire" and we honored his request.

The brother is a very private person and instructed us not to give out his name or any contact information, so we won't. He wants the world to have free access to the digital 1611, but even though he does not want praise or credit, he also does not want to be taken advantage of again.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

mhs

Re: Internal data format of a module

Post by mhs »

Understood! Thanks for this detailed reply.

Mark