Speed question/issue

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
srice

Speed question/issue

Post by srice »

When I use BA on Mac, I noticed that it hangs here and there. It always recovers, but sometimes it seems like it takes a while to react. I always get the spinning wheel while it is 'thinking'. I have noticed this is semi-regular behavior for BA, but not for the majority of the programs that I use. If I leave it open (I often do) and come back to it, and click it takes a while. If I use it, I get less of this, but occasionally it does happen. Seems like BA goes to sleep, or python while it is setting. Most other apps I leave open, come back to them, and they are 'instant' in reacting to my clicks. Is this a priority issue? Is BA run with a low priority setup? Can I change my configuration to make it higher priority? Is this a python issue? I don't know that it is a bug, but is a minor issue. I would love to know why, and if it can be fixed. Thanks!

Shane
Serving the King,
Shane Rice
Romans 12:1-2
http://www.ricefamilyministries.com

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Speed question/issue

Post by Tim »

I don't think it is a priority issue, but possibly may be a caching matter when several apps are open at once. If Bible Analyzer responds slow when using it, it is usually because a lot of modules are loaded. If that's the case one can use Session Manager to break them up into groups for quicker response.

I have a Mac Mini with 4GB of ram and if a lot of modules are loaded, such as all those on the CD, the response is a little slower than just the standard modules embedded in the download, but I usually don't have many other apps running either. When I get a chance I load up a few more apps and switch between them and see what happens.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

srice

Post by srice »

Ok, I think this may be something to do with 'word lookup' modules for the dictionary. I spend probably close to 90% of my time in BA in a Spanish Bible. When I click on a verse (carelessly) I often click on a word, the dictionary then processes that and tries to find it in the dictionary of which 90% of the time it doesn't exist. I use the dictionaries (I often look up the English word) in my studies, however I don't use the 'click' feature. So is there a way to 'shutoff' that option? I'm guessing that will help with my slow downs, I like to have access to all those modules, though I don't always want them looking things up. Perhaps I'm overlooking this feature? I'm thinking that is probably the real reason behind my 'slow downs'. Seems also that upgrading to Mountain Lion (10.8) has helped this too, it seems to happens much less than before.

Shane
Serving the King,
Shane Rice

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Both the Dictionary and Commentary panels have a "Sync" button on their Toolbar. Just un-toggle it and they will not try to sync to the current word (any word clicked in window) or the current reference (clicking within a verse in the Bible Panel or a verse link). Just toggle the buttons back on to update the panel.
Attachments
Sync Button
Sync Button
sync.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 12819 times
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

srice

Post by srice »

Yep, I must be blind! I kept looking under preferences to locate some sort of shut off or something. All the while it was right under my nose. Thanks!
Serving the King,
Shane Rice