4.6-5 Download?

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
yerill

4.6-5 Download?

Post by yerill »

Hi,

I see there is supposed to be a 4.6 in the Ubuntu Software Center. Is that only if you are using 12.10? I'm using 12.04 and only see an option to download 4.5-5 in the software center.

Is there a direct link somewhere?

I did find a link for the Linux beta 4.6-5. Is that a different release than what is available in the software center?

I'm interested in a direct download for 4.6 for ubuntu 12.04 x86_64, preferably non-beta.

Thanks!

Brother Mike

Re: 4.6-5 Download?

Post by Brother Mike »

I am running 12.04 in both 32 and 64 bit machines, and 4.6 Bible Analyzer is showing in the SC.
snapshot2.png
snapshot2.png (162.92 KiB) Viewed 19527 times

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I saw the Software Center on Ubuntu was updated the other day, so just now I tried to write a review. Sure enough, it went through. There are a couple negative reviews. Remember I said that might happen due to jealousy. There are also five star reviews. There aren't that many jealous developers, so if some more positive reviews come in, any negative review impressions can be overcome.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the review.

Yes, it seems some people dedicated to the Sword project have a vendetta against Bible Analyzer. They apparently think all Bible software should use their system and thus no other system is needed. But that's a rather limiting way to view things. Should there be only one brand of automobile, one kind of food, one choice of computer, etc.? The Sword project system has a place, but it also has many limitations.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

yerill

Post by yerill »

Thanks,

I see what's up with the software center now. If you have it installed already, it indicates "Installed" with a green checkmark, and shows the installed version. If you don't have it installed yet, it shows the version as bibleanalyzer 4.6.5. Upon installing you will have 4.6.5.10. There seems to be no difference between 32 bit and 64 bit.

It's odd that the software center doesn't seem to list an upgrade option, or show differences between the installed and available versions. And there doesn't seem to be an "update software" option in the software center. Instead the "update manager" is used, which seems to skip "purchased" software from the software center. Even though Bible Analyzer is free, you have to use the buy option in the software center, and use a launchpad account. I assume that's due to licencing, or because Bible Analyzer has some premium modules.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

The software center knows about the install (the presence of BA), but was not the tool used to install it, or probably more correctly, was not an official install package, it won't mess with it. I can see the logic in this, as Ubuntu likes to do things certain ways through the SC. The SC will install .deb files from 3rd parties, but once you install it, does not do much to track it, as an official repository package would. At least this is the behaviour I have seen with third party .deb installs.