Linux version 4.5 - possible permission issues with modules?

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
mnglfiddle

Linux version 4.5 - possible permission issues with modules?

Post by mnglfiddle »

Hi all,

Any help on this would be appreciated.

After upgrading to the linux version 4.5 my paid commentary modules (Clarence Larkin, Companion Bible and a couple others) will only open if:
1) I install them into the usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules folder, and
2) If I run BibleAnalyzer as root (in Ubuntu 12.04, from terminal - "sudo BibleAnalyzer").

This is not just for the first time. Whenever I open the program normally, I cannot see those modules (whereas I can see the Bible modules that have been copied into the same folder.

I tried putting them into the HOME/Documents/BibleAnalyzer folder, and the HOME/.Bibleanalyzer folder (not simultaneously), but to no avail.

I have tried deleting the config4.ini files and anyother file I could think of to see if that helped. I also deleted them from /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/... before placing them into the ~/Documents/BibleAnalyzer folder and tried that. I have completely removed the application and reinstalled. Nothing is fixing the issue.

When I run BibleAnalyzer as root, if I try to export S-pad notes as a file, the resulting file is available only to root, which means an extra step to change the permissions of that file before I can copy/paste its contents into my end document for lesson preparation.

Update: Since I first wrote the above, I have doubled checked, and the only difference with permissions between the modules that work without running as root, and those that do not, was that the box was not checked to allow to execute as a program. I checked that box and tried again, still no success.

In other words, it seems to me that all modules have the same permissions.

Any ideas?

Matthew

mnglfiddle

Re: Linux version 4.5 - possible permission issues with modu

Post by mnglfiddle »

No ideas out there? I need help on this...

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

This is no help for the moment, but I am looking into packaging all the dependencies with the Bible Analyzer .deb file. It will make a larger initial download, but no downloads will be required during installation. It should work for offline installations as well.

This is how both the Windows and Mac apps are packaged. Linux seems to prefer the repository method, but it has its disadvantages.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

mnglfiddle

Post by mnglfiddle »

Any further ideas on this issue? I have been busy of late: to busy to try to figure this issue out further, but I would really like to use BibleAnalyzer, since with the modules I purchased, I have access to several resources no other program gives me. Not to mention, I do like the program overall, as well.

I have tried again - the only way to see my purchased modules is if I have them in /usr/share/... and if I open the program using the terminal and "sudo bibleanalyzer". This really shouldn't be the case. It seems that the program is not recognizing these modules if I put them into /home/USER/Documents/BibleAnalyzer for some reason. Even if I start the program as root.

Perhaps this is being addressed with the upcoming (?) 4.6 version for Linux?

Thanks.