Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
MPaul

Re: Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Post by MPaul »

Tim,

Personally, I am in no hurry whatsoever. I'm just testing to go testing. And I'll be in the Old Testament mainly for at least the next six months.

I'll make some more comments on stuff later.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I note in Romans chp. 1, many words are repeated in the TPB, that is, they appear twice in succession. I have found this problem at other places, and not present at all in still other locations.

I tried to look at both the Pickering NT and the Greek with the multi-window. The problem is the multi window covers the text of the first bible. If only there were a way to shrink the main window. I thought expand/contract bible window might do it -- but it brings up the tree and a portion of other windows.

If the Strong's Index gets resolved, then I think it would be useful to have layouts for Hebrew and Greek keyboards somewhere.

There has been another update with Ubuntu 12.04 improving the kernel. It is really nice now, very fast. And maybe, that is why clicking on a book in the tree with no chapter once again goes to the first chapter and verse. Nice.

The sync dictionary to clicked word has a nice ring to it. I wonder what it means. I don't know how to use it, to test it. But I would like to figure out what it does. Recall, I have no manual with BA.

There are a lot of things with the Master control panel that I did not try. I started Tim's video on these features once, but I didn't have time to finish it. I should get around to it, and see if I want to search some stuff. But I'm not much of a searcher. I like whole book assessments more.

I had notes on other issues with the software, but I lost them. If they come up, maybe, I'll post some more findings. But for the most part, I think I'm done testing, unless Tim or someone wants me to try something.

BTW -- 12.04 is nice, if anyone would like to give it a try. Very nice! And I have single window Gimp now, using a PPA. This new version of Gimp is very nice also. But Gimp 2.8 cannot be installed on earlier versions, as there are risks involved. Shane2Peru got me on PPAs.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Send details on how you are experiencing the above mentioned problems. Include detailed steps and screenshots if you can. Lets see if I can duplicate.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

This is difficult. If I take a screen shot and save it as a .jpeg, it is too large for an attachment. If I shrink it, then it is fuzzy and difficult to see. So I made a PDF, and it is not allowed. Hmm... Tim, would you mind checking off that PDFs are allowed? I don't see a problem with letting them be attached.

Here is the post. I'll work on a screen shot, unless the setting is allowed.

For the first screen shot, I am attaching a PDF. This screen shot shows Romans 1:1 with the TPB bible, or that is, with the words transliterated for reviewing pronunciation in a full text format. Note at line 2, proepaggellomai appears twice. At line 9, adialeiptos appears twice. At line 10, deomai appears twice. At line 11, sumparakaleo appears twice. At line 15, euaggelizo appears twice, and it goes on and on. The steps are -- first I purchased the Word Study Bundle; then, I installed the TPB in the BA bible folder. On opening the bible, I found the pages have double words.

Tim, the more I look at this system of pronuciation, the more it fascinates me. Do you know by chance what this pronunciation system is called? It is not Erasmus and it is not Historic. I really wish I knew. (For anyone interested, to see the actual pronunciation used, one must roll over the G number. These numbers appear after clicking on the Show Strong's Numbers icon.)

Mike, I'll post some more screen shots on other things as time permits in between things, and as I figure out how to do a decent attachment.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

I also get the double words. I only got the one instance. Try capturing only a section of the screen and also use PNG format. Usually more effecient than jpegs.

Send some details on the multi window issues
Attachments
Screenshot - 05312012 - TPB.png
Screenshot - 05312012 - TPB.png (58.64 KiB) Viewed 22071 times

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

OK, I will try another screen shot. This is of the multi-window. I opened the TR and put it in the multi-window. Then I opened Pickering. The objective is to have both texts showing, that when reading Pickering, one can compare his translation choices with the TR. However, the multi-window covers the text -- so it is not practical.

Of course, Pickering is using a different Greek text, his own, which is found on line. So, it would be nice to be able to re-size the BA window, and put the Pickering Greek text beside it. Then, one could compare the translation, the Pickering Greek and the TR.

OK -- I learned about the Reina-Valera Gomez through Shane2Peru. It would be nice to compare the Reina-Valera and the Reina-Valera Gomez and the TR all at once. However, the TR does not show up in the parallel window. Hmm.... if I could re-size BA, I could put the TR in a multi-window with the Gomez version, and then open up BA a second time and put the Reina-Valera beside it. So, being able to resize the window would be handy. Hmmm... but I was in another program yesterday, and the window did not re-size smaller there either. But I think this type of a Gomez review is important, even though/because no Hispanics where I live have ever heard of it.

So... I don't know how to do a three bible window when the TR is involved.

Yuk, I think the attached screen shot is horrible. You have to scroll right to see how the multi-window covers the text. Please, let's allow PDFs.
Attachments
multiwindow.png
multiwindow.png (162.91 KiB) Viewed 22065 times

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I was looking at the modules, and I saw in the Free Books Module a title -- KJ4 Assembled Bible by Carpenter. I've never heard of it, but I wondered if it is related somehow to Jay P. Green's King James II Version and the KJ3. So I downloaded the bundle. However, I cannot find anything in the bundle that would be the KJ4, nor the other work referenced by Carpenter, Contradictions and Puzzles. I wonder if these files actually were not included. Or what is the .bk name for these works?

I wonder, for those who hold the KJV is inspired, rather than anointed -- what do they think of Green's King James II and KJ3? Are these acceptable for some kind of use?

The KJ3 can be read on line --
http://books.google.com/books/about/Kj3 ... C5TQCi_xQC

But I cannot find the King James II on line.

Looking at Torrey's Difficulties, the Table of Content's page has a capital S to form the possessive at several places.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The KJ4 was a creation of a guy calling himself The Carpenter. They are Book modules and will be found under the Books tab when installed. The KJ4 is not a Bible text though it contains the Bible text. It is not connected to J. P. Greene in any way.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

MPaul

Not knowing what you have already done, here are some suggestions.
If you want to see two Bibles, side by side, use the dual Bible:
Screenshot - 06022012 - dual.png
Screenshot - 06022012 - dual.png (78.5 KiB) Viewed 22054 times
Or, you can move and resize the multi window:
Screenshot - 06022012 - multi.png
Screenshot - 06022012 - multi.png (149.71 KiB) Viewed 22054 times
Also, the manual for BA is on disk, just not available in BA. I am not familiar with Unity, but the HUB or whatever should be able to help you locate it.

Tim:

That is one issue, the manual not coming up when help is selected in BA
Is the TR not being in the parallel display on purpose?

By the way, what ever happeneed to the Carp? I know his web site have been down for quite some time.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I'll check on the User Manual. It works on my Ubuntu install but it may be from a previous install. I thought it was in the beta .deb, but maybe not.

Concerning the Parallel, some texts are excluded such as those with Strong's and non-English, just because it got the Parallel table uneven. I will probably include them with the release since one can now select the texts they want in a session and have only those display in the Parallel table.

The Carpenter has a new website, www.kjvtruth.com.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)