Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Post by Tim »

Brother Mike;

Yes, gksu nautilus works with Unity, at least 11.10 which I presently use.

MPaul;

True, many users only use graphical interfaces and the suggestion of Brother Mike will allow you to use one to manage files as a root user.

Linux is rather peculiar among the OSs in that it does not have a common "All Users" folder, that is, a folder all users can read or write to. In Windows it is /ProgramData and in Mac it is /Library. Ubuntu wants data files in either the /usr/share folder, /opt folder or even others. However, all these are owned by root (like administrator).

If Bible Analyzer installed the modules under the users /home folder, only that user would have access to them. I realize most computers usually only have one user, but when writing a program one has to allow for multiple users.

Bible Analyzer will (should) install for all users. That is, all users can run it regardless who installed it. Each user will have their own configuration files but share the common modules. I don't know of any way the user can choose to install an app for all users or the current. This choice is available for Windows and Mac, but I don't know how to get a DEB file to allow the choice.

Nevertheless, you can still place modules in your /Documents/Bible Analyzer folder and BA should find them.

Concerning the issues you mentioned, I will check them out when I can. I am pretty busy this week, though.

As Mike mentioned, to turn off the pesky TTS voice at start, go to Preferences/Text to Speech and select "No Speech at Start."
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MyWereld

Post by MyWereld »

Just to add, the path has changed to add user modules, if I'm not mistaken it is now:

Code: Select all

$/Documents/BibleAnalyzer/Modules
After moving all my user modules over from previous installations I could access them as per previous releases.

AFAIK the only way to get modules to install system wide will be to repackage them as .deb and installing them through the distro software manager. This is a painful way of wasting time.
To be fair, the modules are not that big, with Terrabyte drives the norm each user can download what they want (on multi user PC's) or share just the BibleAnalyzer folder between every user on the PC.

Not that big a deal I would think?
:D

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I am using Unity in Ubuntu 12.04

In a terminal, in using gksu nautilus, I get the following response --
Nautilus could not create the required folder "/root/.config/nautilus"
Before running Nautilus, please create the following folder, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create it.

I think I should be able to type in a terminal sudo mv and name two file locations to move the files. However, I cannot remember how to do the file locations. The files I want to move I have put on the desktop. The destination would probably just be typed, /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules. If someone knows quickly how this would work, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll have to relearn this from the YouTube tutorials later.

Also -- when I tried to install, a screen came up saying the Ubuntu Software Center crashed. So I tried again, and the same screen came up. So I got rid of the screen and clicked install, and BA went right in.

Also -- I tried playing some of the MP3s. There are gaps after so many notes. (I'm not sure where I might use this music. I don't think it would work for a home church meeting, but maybe if the gaps were gone).

PS -- my comments come from the perspective that I promote both Ubuntu and BA on the internet, but I do not promote either with the concept of using the terminal. I want to push everything as being an easy GUI. However, I have had problems with root in the past, in trying to use Xampp. But I can only take on so much at a time.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

You could try:

sudo mv ~/Desktop/*.cmt /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/Commentary

sudo mv ~/Desktop/*.bib /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/Bible

sudo mv ~/Desktop/*.dct /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/Dictionary
And etc. Using whatever wild card combo works for you. I did not include deveotions or books.

The book directory has a different arrangement:
There are various sub directories and images directories under there. I have had to rename some of them from capitals to non-capitals. Look on the various threads and you should find the answers.

Linux is a great OS (it and most all unices are, IMHO, with Ubuntu being the top of the Linux list), but just by it's nature and history, promoting it as an easy GUI is going to be less than stellar in results. Some things are just easier and faster on the command line. In any *nix environment, you will need to "get your hands dirty" once in a while.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I tried sudo mv ~/Desktop/*.bib /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/Bible and the file went somewhere but only God knows where. It does not turn up with search and neither does /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/Bible. The file does not appear with opening BA. Also, putting the files in the BA folder in Documents does not work either. Oh well.

<<< promoting it as an easy GUI is going to be less than stellar in results>>>

Just the opposite is true. Promotion with the GUI works and referencing the terminal kills any interest. However, it depends on the target users.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

From your listing below, it is not a dash (-) after mv, it is a tilde (~). Represents your home directory. But, if you say you do not have a /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/Bible directory, something is wrong. Double check that. BA should have created that, or /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/bible. Check for letter case. But I may be reading you incorrectly.

As far as audience, that is true. I am an old DOS man. I love the CLI. GUI has it's place. That is why I appreciate *nix so much.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

With 4.5 the module folder names are all lowercase. Try,

sudo mv ~/Desktop/*.bib /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/bible

However, if you installed 4.5 on top of 4.1 there may be some confusion with the paths/pathnames. Probably the easiest way to start fresh is,

Back up all your added modules
Remove BA with Package Manager or the new Ubuntu Software Centre
Be sure there is no folder /usr/share/bibleanalyzer
if so, delete it. (Just the bibleanalyzer folder NOT /user/share! You will have to "gksudo nautilus" to do it)
reinstall BA 4.5 .deb
Move your added modules to HOME/Documents/BibleAnalyzer (or /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules)
Run BA
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Yes. I noticed some differences. I have both a Bible and a bible directory under /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules. I see modules in BA from both directories. Is there a prefered location as far as BA is concerned?

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

With 4.5 the lowercase bible is the preferred folder. However, BA looks through all folders under the "modules" folder recursively for modules. They do not have to be in the designated folder to be found as long as they are under modules (or in /Documents/BibleAnalyzer folder). I usually suggest that people put them under the designated folder anyway to help with organization and trouble-shooting. With 4.5.5, though, one can find the module path with a right-click on the tab.
Tim Morton

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Great. Yes that right click file location was a help.

I will be cleaning up my modules directory. I had the duplicate directories for all of the module types except for text, which is lower case.

Thanks for the info. Enjoying BA 4.5 on Linux. No issues as yet.