Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Post by Tim »

We have v4.5 of Bible Analyzer for Linux ready to test. This edition has essentially all the features of the current Windows and Mac versions. Here is the .deb link,

http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/files/bibl ... -5_all.deb

There has been numerous program changes to BA since v4.1, including the Session Manager, a complete reworking of the Book/Articles display, auto Bible text scrolling with Text to Speech, and several more. The current User Manual is included with the download. Consult it for available features.

File Locations

The file locations are basically the same as v4.1 except the configuration data, etc. Here are the specifics,

The modules are located under,
/usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules

NOTE:
The modules no longer generate .idx files when first run so running as "root" when new modules are added will not be needed. However, since Linux has no common "All Users" folder like Window and Mac, root privileges will be required when installing new modules under the /usr folder.

The configuration files are under the hidden folder,
/HOME/.BibleAnalyzer

This is where Linux wants such files so there they are.

Any user made modules will be placed in the
/HOME/Documents/BibleAnalyzer

Adding Modules

As noted above, modules go under the /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules folder. Until we come up with a method of installing them they must be installed manually. Simply copy them to the corresponding modules folder and start Bible Analyzer.

NOTE:
Windows .exe files can be used to obtain the modules. There are many free and premium modules on our web site and all are available as an .exe. The .exe files are simply archives and can be opened with Archive Manager. The modules themselves may be a few levels deep in the archive, but the .bib, .dct, .cmt, .bk, .dev, .pll, and imd files can be moved from the archive to the appropriate usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules folder.

Here is an image of the BA-PickNT.exe file in Archive Manager,
Archive.png
Archive.png (38.02 KiB) Viewed 31130 times
The .bib file is under the Bible folder and the .cmt file is under the Commentary folder. Just ignore the $PluginsDir folder.

We may try to come up with a script that will automate this process for Linux users.

Issues:
Sometimes books with images may not display the images because of a path case issue. For instance the Max Younce books will not display the images until the "Younce" folder is renamed "younce."

/usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/text/images/Younce

should be

/usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/text/images/younce

Some images may display properly without changing the case.

If there are any other issues or problems with this beta, please let us know and we will try to correct them.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Re: Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Post by Brother Mike »

This is wonderful news, Tim. God bless your efforts. A blessed day for we Linux users.

The BIG thing I was waiting for in 4.5, was the AV 1611 module. I downloaded it, it did not open in Archive manager. I tried another .exe module and the same thing occured.

The error message:
==========
Archive: /home/mjones/Downloads/BA-AV1611.exe
[/home/mjones/Downloads/BA-AV1611.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/mjones/Downloads/BA-AV1611.exe or
/home/mjones/Downloads/BA-AV1611.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/mjones/Downloads/BA-AV1611.exe.ZIP, period.
==========

I tries to rename the file to .zip, but to no avail.

Anxiously waiting to explore the new features of 4.5.

Thank you again, Tim.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Ah, it is included with the install package. Wonderful.

Love the tightness of the layout and esthetic improvements. Off to dive deeper. Great work.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Now that I think about it some of the exe files are LZH compressed and Archive Manager may not like them. I didn't try them all.

Here is the new AV1611 module in a plain zip file,
http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/Free/av1611.zip
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I downloaded the Beta and will be installing it soon, if not today.

Everyone should be praying in agreement on the success of this release. I am particularly interested in having the "go to" verse finder work and the Greek and Hebrew fonts.

The Pickering NT is a great addition. Surely, we want to give a fair review to this work. I have it installed already, but I downloaded and extracted in Windows. I think someone should start a thread on Pickering in "Other Topics" with links to Identity of the New Testament Text and his current Greek manuscript work.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Yes, I tried Archive manager, but seems I did not have lhz compatability (did not think of that one). I did a:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lha
and that fixed archive manager. Sees inside the archive now.

Thanks Tim

MyWereld

Post by MyWereld »

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=46821

Here is the package for the Arch Linux users.

Thanks a bunch again Tim!

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 for about a week, and that is what I am testing on now. (I could test on 10.04 or Xubuntu 12.04, but I'm just not for now).

I cannot install any modules. To find the file Tim referenced, I first had to install Gnome search using the terminal (finding a command on Google), as I do not understand the search feature in 12.04. I found the file, but I could not move any bibles in as I was not root. Linux users always tell everyone, do not enable root. I have the bibles on the desktop. Can someone give me a sudo command to move the bibles to the /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules file? If not I'm done.

The average Ubuntu user does not use the terminal. He/she will not be able to find /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules. He/she will not know how to enable root or use a sudo command to move files. When the modules were installed in a BA folder in Documents moving files was fast and easy. I think that set up should remain.

As I have not been able to install the D&H commentary, I can't say how the biblical fonts work. Maybe they would require a special installation first. As it is now, I can only use D&H to full capacity in Windows, and I only go there... well, I should try to maintain a Christian attitude.

The quick verse search still does not work. Only now, it does not even indicate the verse being read when found in another way. This is a really nice feature in Windows, and I hope it can be worked out in LInux.

Using the tree, if a book is clicked, it comes up blank. It used to go to the first verse, which is better.

Otherwise, the software seems the same to me for the most part.

A voice welcomes on start up. That certainly lets the user know there is speech to text, but is there a way to shut it off?

All for now.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Open a terminal window, and type:

gksu nautilus
You will be prompted for a password, enter your password. A file manager screen should open, and it will have root privileges. Copy your files where you need to from there. It can be done easily through the terminal windows as well, but of course more commands.

Try this and let me know how it works for you. I know this works under Gnome, not sure if you are using Unity.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Also, Preferences => Text to Speech has an option to turn off the start up speech.

One more thing, and I do hope that this does not soud too crass, but it is spoken in sincerity and helpfulness.

If you want to be successfukl in your Linux future, become well versed on the command line. You will find your self using it more than you think.

Also, root is disabled by default on Ubuntu, all you have available is sudo. When it asks for a password, it is asking for YOUR password. You cannot directly log into root as a normal user, you must use sudo.

To use the comamnd line, type:

sudo command
To be able to use multiple commands, you can sudo to superuser:

sudo su -
This will put your terminal window into root mode, so to speak. All commands entered until you type "exit" will be as root. Be very careful whe doing anything as root. A mistake can have dire consequences. But DO learn the command line and using root effectively.
Last edited by Brother Mike on Mon May 21, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.