Bible Analyzer v5 beta Comments`

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
darrel_jw

Bible Analyzer v5 beta Comments`

Post by darrel_jw »

First, Tim I really like the Linux version of BA. It's fast and relatively easy to use. I have pulled in a number of XML Bibles and that has gone very smooth. I am working on converting some of my book and dictionary modules - that is very slow!

I have used theWord electronic Bible for a number of years, but running under wine it has some issues - which lead to my search and finding BA. Overall I am pleased and will probably end up using it for most of my needs.

ISSUES
Now the issues, which I know you will get taken care of (and I think as more people come to know BA and Linux your usage numbers are going to climb!). I also want to point that the following issues are with the Linux version - everything appears to play cleanly on the Windows side. AND none of them are "show stoppers" in my opinion.

1. Quick Find does not work depending whether the selected Bible contains the word! When using the AVp and entering "giants" and pressing Enter it crashes and does not give any usage information. But if I use the AVs and do same search it returns usage info. It may just be a matter of returning appropriate messages and not the failure msg box?

2. Session Manager. When you attempt renaming a session and pressing the Load/Save button it crashes

3. Master Control Panel. Advanced Search crashes on most of the options IF the selected Bible does not contain the words being searched for, as in number 1 above.

"Specific Individuals (AVp)" appears to have some serious problems, crashing and not returning results.

I think most issues here may relate to too tight of search parameters and the returned message. For example, if I search for "Word/Strong's #", using AVs, and enter "Jesus" it returns a LOT of hits where Jesus is Strong's G2424. But if enter "Jesus[G2424]" it returns 0 hits. Interesting huh?

Concerning searching for Jesus in the AVp (where Mat 1:1 contains "Jesus Christ") it almost looks like multi-word pronouns are joined by something other than a space?

Like to Haves
(1) I write all my sermons or messages that I publish on my website within the Bible program I use. In theWord it is in the Book modules where you can write anything and it automatically becomes a book with the program. I am assuming I could do similar with either S-Pad or Notes. I do find either one "painful" in BA. (1) the data I enter does not automatically become a book (2) any scriptures entered do not become versified without my entering a specific set of characters before and after each verse (3) I can turn notes into a commentary fairly easy but not into a book. I would love to see this area taken beyond where it is now!
(2) I would really like to be able to search a range of Bibles and not just the current one. Am I missing something here or is it not implemented yet? I would like the same functionality as the Libraries Search where I can check the modules I want searched.
(3) It would be really cool to have Strong's numbers hidden, so all you have to do is mouse over a word or click the word and have it show in the dictionary. I realize this might take a bit of work, but I can tell you it is REALLY cool! Been using it for quite a while in theWord.

Have a blessed evening Tim. As a final thing you are doing a REALLY good job with BA and I like where it is going. Sadly users are very rarely satisfied, huh? :lol:

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Bible Analyzer v5 beta Comments`

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the detailed list.

I'll see about getting an updated beta ready that will address these issues.

As for the wants,

1. ScripturePad does have some weaknesses compared to editors in applications that are only developed for one platform. With just one platform a developer can utilize all the capabilities of that platform, bit with a cross-platform app features are often limited. ScripturePad and the Notes Editor were improved significantly for v5, and hopefully we can improve it more in the future.

2. Multiple Bibles can be searched for now by checking the Multiple Bibles option under Advanced Search in the Master Control Panel. Then you can select the Bible you want to search.

3. We might be able to do something like this in the future.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Hi Tim,
Silly me! I totally missed the "Search multiple Bibles" checkbox! :oops:

On #2, theWord is written for Windows and Macs, but on Linux only runs under wine as a windows app. Pity!

You're doing great work and I appreciate it!

P.S. - converted my first book last night. Am thinking of tackling a dictionary next. :?

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

(1) On searching multiple Bibles, I should be able to specify a range of Genesis-Revelation, have my list include whole Bibles and just NT, then have the search still work, bypassing OT searches for NT bibles and not display a Range Error For Current Bible and quit.

(2) Secondly, I did a search for Jesus on 17 Bibles, with a range of Matthew-Revelation and it returned 972 hits in TRi only. But when I hover over the scriptures it says they are for the AV. So something appears wrong. I unclicked AV, AVs, and AVp and it still showed the verses as AV. The number of hits appears to be associated with the first Bible in the check list.

(3) I did several other searches and now using a range of Genesis-Revelation does not show the range error message. Strange!

(4) My final search I included 21 Bibles with a range of Genesis-Revelation, searching for "Jesus". It did the search incredibly fast, finding 13,892 hits spread across 14 Bibles. In the verse break down it shows the verses associated with each Bible, but each verse appears as AV only! For example Matt 1:18 (NAS) reads as "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. ", but in the search results under NAS it reads as "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost." which is AV!

Hope that is clear and helps.

Darrel