ImportError: No module named media

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
IAmMarchHare

Post by IAmMarchHare »

I'd been frustrated by a couple of things lately, so I upgraded Ubuntu last night when it was offered to see if it fixed anything. Well, now BA doesn't want to work, and I'm wondering if there is a troubleshooting guide.

I'm getting what appears to me to be a Python error that is just vague enough to leave me scratching my head:

************ Starting Bible Analyzer *************
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/analyzer4.py", line 20, in <module>
import flatNotebook as fnb
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/flatNotebook.py", line 86, in <module>
import advSearch, flatTool
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/flatTool.py", line 3, in <module>
import wx, contextMenu, advSearch, stats
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/contextMenu.py", line 5, in <module>
import normSearch, controlMini, stats
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/controlMini.py", line 2, in <module>
import normSearch, stats, compareDiff, fixRef, advSearch, contextMenu, kjd, games, library, audioPlayer, dialogs, related, baseClass
File "/opt/bibleanalyzer/audioPlayer.py", line 2, in <module>
import wx.media

Tim
Site Admin

Re: ImportError: No module named media

Post by Tim »

It seems all the dependencies were not installed with the new installation. Try running the Bible Analyzer .deb file again and it should check for and install all the dependencies needed.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

IAmMarchHare

Post by IAmMarchHare »

Thanks, Tim, but that was the first thing I thought of. I posted only after trying that. I did a little research afterwards, and it seems that the omission of wx.media is intentional. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1224528. It sounds like a patch might already be awaiting approval.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for checking on this. Yes, it seems they left wx.media out for some reason. Thus Bible Analyzer 4.7 will not run on 13.10 unless it is modified to skip all the media functions.

It is likely best to see what they are going to do with the pending action before we do anything.

Sorry for the issue, but it is not us causing it this time (for once).
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

There is a fix either in the works or proposed for this. You can find info here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1224528

I have installed the test version for Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy) and so far, seems to be working well, although I have not done much, it at least loads now, so I imagine it will all be good.

Steps:

Add the maintainer's test PPA to your sources:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fabricesp/testbuild
Update your sources:

sudo apt-get update
Upgrade your packages:

sudo apt-get upgrade
This is all done from the command line, but can be accomplished through your favorite package and update manager.