Clicking Links in Other Programs Brings Up BA Manual

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
IAmMarchHare

Clicking Links in Other Programs Brings Up BA Manual

Post by IAmMarchHare »

I've decided to switch to Ubuntu 13.04 (upgraded) for my main OS. I'm not a computer newbie, but learnign to get around in it is going to take some time. I installed BA with some difficulty (dependency errors), but once I upgraded and uninstalled/reinstalled, it went easier. However, I'm still having an odd issue that hopefully has an easy fix.

If I am, for instance, in Libre's word processor, I can create a link in the document. However, when I [Ctrl]-click on the link, it opens up BA's manual in Firefox for some reason. I noticed this before from a blog editor and email as well, but clicking on links within Firefox work OK. I don't even know where to begin to look to fix this.

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Clicking Links in Other Programs Brings Up BA Manual

Post by Tim »

That sounds like an Ubuntu issue. Does it still do it if BA is not running?

Could you tell me what the dependency issues you had were? Maybe we can change something to make it easier.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

IAmMarchHare

Post by IAmMarchHare »

Yes, it occurs when BA is not running. I don't recall the exact issues, but BA obviously did not work the first time. It's weird since the only thing that seems to be really messed up is this. Does BA make any sort of changes in order to view the manual? No matter what link I click on, the link comes up "file:///opt/bibleanalyzer/manual/index.html".

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

All BA does is call the default browser to open the file. It does not change any file or setting to open it.

For some reason Ubuntu is retaining the link and using it everywhere.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

IAmMarchHare

Post by IAmMarchHare »

Tim wrote:For some reason Ubuntu is retaining the link and using it everywhere.
I (finally) got another chance to look at this late last night, and I'm convinced Firefox is the problem.

If FF is the default browser, weird stuff happens, this being the strangest. I reinstalled Chrome, seeing they have fixed their own particular install issue, and I made it the default browser. It works fine, as did Chromium before I removed it (I prefer Chrome). I uninstalled and reinstalled FF, but that changed absolutely nothing that I could see. Making it the default again causes the same issue even after reinstall.

Well, now that Chrome is working again, I can live with it as default. FF fell out of my favorite browser list some time ago, as they had totally messed up the 64 bit Windows version and started getting as bloated as IE. I still think it's odd, and it is something you should keep in mind if someone else runs into this. At this point, I don't know there is much either of us can do.