Bible Analyzer 4.6 in Ubuntu Software Center

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
MPaul

Re: Bible Analyzer 4.6 in Ubuntu Software Center

Post by MPaul »

On another computer I uninstalled BA, and then installed it through the software center. It was hard and confusing. It uses a Buy button, which goes to a Ubuntu Single Sign On screen. I did not know I already have an account with this center, because I have a Ubuntu One account. So....

After I did the install, I tried to write a review. However, it was not possible, as still the source cannot be authenticated.

I will do a nice review, if someone can figure out how it is done and post it here.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

I believe that the .run file in only for the FIRST INSTALL of the module. After that, you can copy, backup, move the modules to fit your purpose. Therefore, if an install hoses your module directory, you can just copy them back,

If you want to run the terminal, use the mv command to move the module folder. Your Ubuntu 1 is set for permissions for you (why you were able to copy to it), the /usr/share dor not have permissions for you to do this, therefore you need to be root.

Making the assumption you are using gnome, run the command gksu nautilus and you should have a root file manager where you can copy and paste the modules folder back to /usr/share

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

It seems I was mistaken on the application path in the initial post. I made a version of BA with the /usr/share... path and one with the /opt... path. It appears the /opt path was submitted. That is the path they say they want. There is no difference in the app itself, only the location of its files. Both of these locations are owned by root so you will need sudo privileges to change anything.

Therefore, the version downloaded from the Software Center will install in /opt/bibleanalyzer. The modules will be in the /modules folder underneath.

The .run package files do a check to see if BA is installed in either. It checks /usr/share/bibleanalyzer first and if fails looks in opt/bibleanalyzer. It looks for the specific file analyzer4.py.

For new users from the SC this should not be an issue, but for those of you who have version of 4.6 or earlier from our website that is installed to /usr/share... you will have to do a couple things.

To install from the SC you need to completely remove your existing BA installation. But before that go to the /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules folder and copy or move it to a location under /Home. The Desktop would be fine. Then uninstall BA.

Go to the SC and download BA from there. Then once installed run it once to be sure it will open OK. Close BA and then copy/move the entire /modules folder you saved to the Desktop to opt/bibleanalyzer/modules. Let it overwrite existing files. Be sure you do not have the folder a layer too deep like,
opt/bibleanalyzer/modules/modules.
You want just
opt/bibleanalyzer/modules
with bible, dictionary, etc folders underneath.

Start BA again and it should find all your modules.

The easiest way to move/copy as root is likely open Terminal and type,
gksudo nautilus

This will open a file manager with root permissions.

The .run files can be run at any time to install and reinstall modules. If a file already exists it will overwrite it. However, if you still have some remnant files in the usr/share/bibleanalyzer folder, the installer may put the modules there instead of the /opt folder and BA won't find them.

Could some of you after you get BA installed from the SC download a couple .run files from our modules page to ensure they install correctly?

Also, any of you who are afraid you may loose any premium modules during the transition don't worry. Just email me and I'll send you links to the .run files of them.

I have not been able to install from the software center yet myself because, oddly, it won't let me with a developer account. Seems I have to make an alias account which I haven't had time to do yet.

Thanks to everyone. Maybe we can get BA good presence in the Linux community now.

As of this post there has been 132 downloads.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Here is what everyone is talking about.

To copy the folder from the old BA --
Click Go at the top upper left, and a drop down menu appears
Click Computer, and then click in order
file system,
usr,
share,
bible analyzer
and then copy the modules folder somewhere easy to find, like the desktop

After installing the new BA, to install the old modules folder --
open a terminal (ctrl + alt + t)
type -- gksudo nautilus
press enter
enter your password, and press enter
a window appears. On the left side click file system
then click in order
opt
bible analyzer
Now drag the old modules folder into the window
a succession of windows will come up, and click either replace or merge for each one (don't do this step too fast or you will accidentally click the wrong button)

Now close the window and the terminal and open BA, and you have what you had before. Worked for me, and I never even hear of gksudo nautilus before.

----------------------------------

So I assume that now whenever I want to add or remove anything, I just use this gksudo nautilus. I assume when I close the windows, I am no longer root. If not, I have to know how to change back my status.

This gksudo nautilus is so easy, and it is a big improvement on how to do things. All it needs is very clear and simple instructions. So when we pray, things become easy, because that is just the way the Holy Ghost is.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

From this point on, whenever you install a module .run file (double click the icon), it should install into the proper place and no further action is needed.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

I assume when I close the windows, I am no longer root. If not, I have to know how to change back my status.
When you open nautilus this way, only it is running as root. When you close the window, nothing else should have root authority. I would only recommend using this when you absolutely need root access though. Otherwise the normal nautilus should suffice.

I do not use nautilus, but like thunar, I would imagine that there is something in the nautilus window indicating that it is root authority.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Brother Mike wrote:From this point on, whenever you install a module .run file (double click the icon), it should install into the proper place and no further action is needed.
OK, but now under .run the whole bundle is installed, instead of picking what files one wants from the bundle to install into the program. Thus, I would install the .run and then use gksudo nautilus to remove the files I do not want in the program. I'll test that out when I get a break in the schedule.

Or maybe, there is a way to extract the .run files first, and then move them using gksudo nautilus? I would prefer that.

(Hmm... this gksudo stuff is interesting, as just now I want to test some stuff in Xampp also, and I never knew how to install files in Xampp in Ubuntu. Beta testing has its benefits.)
Last edited by MPaul on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Brother Mike wrote:I do not use nautilus, but like thunar, I would imagine that there is something in the nautilus window indicating that it is root authority.
Ok, but I think I only have thunar in Xubuntu. So then, I guess the command would be gksudo thunar.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

MPaul wrote:
Brother Mike wrote:From this point on, whenever you install a module .run file (double click the icon), it should install into the proper place and no further action is needed.
OK, but now under .run the whole bundle is installed, instead of picking what files one wants from the bundle to install into the program. Thus, I would install the .run and then use gksudo nautilus to remove the files I do not want in the program. I'll test that out when I get a break in the schedule.

Or maybe, there is a way to extract the .run files first, and then move them using gksudo nautilus? I would prefer that.

(Hmm... this gksudo stuff is interesting, as just now I want to test some stuff in Xampp also, and I never knew how to install files in Xampp in Ubuntu. Beta testing has its benefits.)
The whole point of the .run scripts is to install modules with as little user intervention as possible. There is no way to pull out certain modules.

Yes, you just delete them after installing, but modules usually do not take up that much space, just use the library manager and simply do not display those you do no want. You may want them later.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

MPaul wrote:
Brother Mike wrote:I do not use nautilus, but like thunar, I would imagine that there is something in the nautilus window indicating that it is root authority.
Ok, but I think I only have thunar in Xubuntu. So then, I guess the command would be gksudo thunar.
Yes, thunar is the only one available with Xubuntu. You are correct on the syntax. Simply gksu thunar may work as well.