BA 3.9 impressions

The place to discuss the Linux/Ubuntu edition
M-Paul

BA 3.9 impressions

Post by M-Paul »

So far this is all very nice!!

I just found this link
http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/modules.html

I didn't know about all this, and I should have a link to this page from my web site as well; so I will add it soon.

A problem with Linux is, that Greek and Hebrew texts usually do not display properly, missing some of the accenting or Massoretic markings. I see that the above link notes an additional download might be necessary for proper display of these fonts. I hope Linux is intended.

I decided to download the LXX to test it out. I have the file on the desktop now, but it does not go in if I double click on it. An error is indicated, something about not finding a zip directory.

Once I figure this out, I'll probably buy the bundle with Scrivner and the BDB. Scrivner is the NT text I use most often. However, I want to be sure the fonts display correctly. (Stephanus is also one of my favorites, if you are thinking about future stuff).

So Tim, what do you think, on the font displays and installing the LXX?

Paul

Tim
Site Admin

Re: BA 3.9 impressions

Post by Tim »

All the foreign texts should work if the right font is installed. Some of the 3.9 mods require the font pack link above. They will work in either Windows or Linux. You need to put them in the home/USER/.fonts folder. It is hidden and you may have to create it. Search installing fonts if you have trouble.

I don't remember which font the LXX uses.

The LXX is a Windows .exe. I don't have .zip for Linux uploaded yet. If you can run the exe on a windows system or emulator you can get the module out of it and put in the the proper mods folder.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

OK, I've been looking at BA 3.9. My initial impression is, that it probably has a Bazaleel/Aholiab type anointing. Note I'm not talking about any theological positions included, but the overall functioning and design. The layouts and coloring are just as impressive, as if you are a professional web designer.

Even the Notes and S-Pad are impressive. Right now, I write in a text editor and later import to Serif PagePlus in Windows for layouts -- but if I could save documents in BA's Notes, I would use it. It's actually better than MousePad, BlueFish, Quanta for straight text without coding. So, you know what you are doing. The text displays fast, which is a major problem right now with the Softmaker Linux TextMaker
beta going on.

In Image Viewer the Greek Manuscript Tree does not scroll correctly. It drags badly or won't stop scrolling, going at a slow pace. God So Loved the World also drags.

Like 3.7, after I installed 3.9 and used it once, it would not open. I had to Trash the config.ini file and restart.

I downloaded another module, and it would not go in. I tried the 2.7 MB one that starts with the Attributes of God. I guess it's another zip directory problem.

I would like to try downloading and installing a bundle. Do you know one that definitely works with Linux? I could try the one with Scrivner, but why buy it, if it doesn't have the zip directory.

The thing about bundles is, I would guess all the resources in the group have to be installed. I like to keep my software fast and light. So, can I remove resources I do not want from the group? If I can tailor the program to just the stuff I really use, that would be nice.

Tim, you know the digital resource I would love to have is Einsphar's Hebrew Index, or would it be envisioning too much, Alsop's Greek index. I don't suppose there's any chance for these to come along.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the Kind words. I'm glad it is working for you.

The scrolling issue is persistent. It has been that way on every edition of Ubuntu I've tried. It is some kind of bottleneck in the underlying toolkit Bible Analyzer uses or the Linux OS itself. There is nothing I can do for it.

I will try to have some of the free bundles in .zip files for Linux ready this weekend. You have to manually place the mods in the proper folder in the Linux edition. There is no installer like in Windows.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

Scrolling that drags seems to be a recurring issue in Linux programs. I can't use OpenOffice due to the scroll drag, but KWord is fast with scrolling. I use Gjots for notes, which scrolls nice, but I actually like another program better, I think it was CaseNotes, but the scrolling dragged. The beta Chrome browser quickly became my favorite, but then with an update the scrolling dragged. Opera is always fast. FireFox is a fast scroll but slows sometimes. TextMaker beta had a major scrolling issue at first, but that now seems to be solved.

I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression in noting that I still use PagePlus in Windows. PP does work perfectly in Windows, but I only use it as I have no other choice, as Linux has no DTP program that is sufficiently developed. There is PageStream, which costs $100, and I might give that a try, if I ever feel like spending the money. I also use with no problem a couple other Windows programs, like Notepad++, but for the most part I always avoid Windows and just assume the programs I try with it are just basically broken. I never, never really expect anything to work in Windows.

I think I understand what you are saying about moving the bundles from Windows, but my BA does not open in that OS now. Just typical Windows. I have 3.8 installed. Maybe, when I have some spare time, I will figure something out on how to get BA running in Windows, but I might just wait until there is a bundle Linux will unzip... but I'm not in any hurry at all. I have too much going on anyway.

I think there is something very special about BA. I hope to ask the Holy Spirit to give me some insights about it soon.

When you have something going on the bundles, maybe, you could make a notifying post. But I really am not in any hurry.

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

I was thinking about Windows, and it just seemed to make sense that the BA problem there was again the config.ini file. So I deleted it and restarted, and the software worked. That's the third time now....

I downloaded the 2.7 MB bundle, and I double clicked it, and a screen came up saying it was going to be installed in bibleanalyzer/modules. But then, I could not find the resources in the software, and I went to the BA program file, and there was nothing there either. So, I downloaded the LXX, and on double clicking, it was indicated the Bible was being installed in bibleanalyzer/modules, but again, I could find nothing.

Maybe, there is some other way to unzip it or something.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I don't quite understand. Are you opening the downloads in true Windows, in Linux with Wine, or with straight Linux? The .exe are Windows files.
Tim Morton

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

You had suggested to me that I download the modules in Windows and then transfer them to Linux. I had responded that BA was not working for me in Windows. Then, I deleted the config.ini file in my Windows BA, as this had solved the program for BA not working in Linux before in my 3.7 and 3.9 installations. When I restarted the computer BA worked in Windows.

Then, I downloaded a module to the Desktop. I clicked it twice, and indication was made that it was being installed to bibleanalyzer/modules. I opened BA. The additions were not there. I went to the BA folder in Programs, and nothing was there either. I tried the same thing with the LXX -- downloaded it to Desktop; clicked twice; indication was made that installation was going into bibleanalyzer/modules; opened BA to find nothing; found nothing in the BA folder at Programs.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

While in Windows, go to the BA Tools Menu and Click "Display Modules Folder." This will open the Modules folder in Windows Explorer. This is where the modules need to be. If the new ones aren't there, extract them again and see where they go and move them to the corresponding folder. They can be copied to the Linux installation as well.
Tim Morton

M-Paul

Post by M-Paul »

In Windows, apparently I have installed Bible Analyzer 3.8 portable.

In trying to run the 2.9 MB module, it was set for Documents and Settings/admin/Application Data/BibleAnalyzer/Modules/

If I click MyComputer - C: - Documents and Settings - admin -- there is no folder to be seen called Application Data. That makes sense to me, because I'm in Windows now.

Trying to run the 2.9 module again, using the browse button, I changed the destination folder to Programs/Bible Analyzer/Modules and installed. Nothing showed up in the software. Checking the program folder, nothing was there either.

I tried installing the LXX in Programs/Bible Analyzer/Modules/Bibles. Nothing anywhere.

If I click the BA's Tools menu, there are two entries. Module Creation Tools and Convert 3.7 and Earlier Texts

However, I feel like I"m getting close in installing these. Yeah.