User made module

Deals with using and making modules and other resources
Johan Mouthaan

User made module

Post by Johan Mouthaan »

Hello,

I am new here, but I am very happy with Bible Analyzer. Therefore I want to make some modules for my own, but I have some problems with Bible modules.

I use SQLite Database Brower in Ubuntu 8.04 and imported via a csv file a Greek New Testament. I do this one time in html code and another time in unicode, but BA view the former incorrect (it doesn't display the text in Symbol according to the html code) and the latter BA view only ????? for each letter.

Besides this, I cannot search in my user made module.

Can anybody give my some help to solve this problem?

PS: I also make a dictionary but this works very well, searching and viewing is no problem. How can this be??

Tim
Site Admin

Re: User made module

Post by Tim »

It sounds like the problem is the rendering of the font of the Greek text. Bible Analyzer uses Unicode in xml format internally to render non Latin text. For example, Mat 1:1 in Greek must look like this to display properly,

Mat 1:1 βιβλος[976] γενεσεως[1078] ιησου[2424] χριστου[5547] υιου[5207] δαβιδ[1138] υιου[5207] αβρααμ[11]

Each letter is represented by a group of characters (&....;). The [...] characters contain Strong's numbers and are optional.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hello Tim,

Thank you very much for version 3.7.2 of BA!!

Is it true that usermade unicode modules are not properly recognised in BA 3.7.2, ever when you add an -u- to the filename? I wonder why I cannot search in my usermade Greek New Testaments. Can you help me? Thank you very much.

Johan Mouthaan
As for Me and My Mouse, We Will Serve the Lord.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

If you could compress and send me a link to one of the modules you are having trouble with, I'll check it out.

Version 3.8 will have more unicode features and eventually the Greek and Hebrew texts will use full unicode instead of the XML/HTML conversion to unicode used now (β etc.)
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Hello Tim,

See my file at http://sites.google.com/site/theologica ... ner-u-.bib.

By the way, it is only a linux problem, in windows it works fine.

May I ask two other questions about making modules?

1. Could you explain more in detail the synthax of hyperlinks in modules, for example a dictionary. How do you make external hyperlinks (internet) and internal hyperlinks (in the program themself, for example, when you click on Abraham in Mat. 1:1, you got the entry Genealogy of Jesus in a given dictionary).
2. I have tried to make a Greek morphological dictionary which the feature that you click on a Greek word in your Greek New Testaments (or LXX) and that as a result the morphological dictionary give some morphological information connected with the strongnumber of that word. The data is no problem, but its function in the program wasn't fine.
a. The entries of dictionaries don't support xml-unicode, only utf-8 unicode or such like that. Is that true? Can this give reference problems when de biblemodules are in xml-unicode?
b. When I click on a Greek word, and set the morphological dictionary as default, I get every time the message the dictionary doesn't contain a entry like the requested word. What is the problem?
c. Must the first letter of a dictionary entry always be in upperclass?
d. I cannot search in my morphological dictionary.
e. When I set the first letter of the entry in upperclass, it doesn't work.
f. Must raw text be in iso windows or is it also possible to format it when it is in utf-8?

Finaly, I like it to make usefull and advanced biblemodules and I think that your program is a suitable place to test and develop such modules, maybe can whe help each other? You give me some help in order to build good modules, and I give you the opportunity to make your program more attractable with advanced biblemodules. Give it a try!

With kind regards,

Johan Mouthaan

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks very much for the offer of testing and developing new modules. That will be very helpful and much apprecieated.

As you probably already realize Bible Analyzer was developed primarily for English texts. However, with upcoming version 3.8 there will be better support for all foriegn language texts. I hope to have a beta available here on the forum by the weekend or first of next week. I am very busy this week and don't have time to finalize and get it up. It will be the Windows version. Because it is so much more popular I do the Windows version first and then Linux.

1. Actually there are no hyperlinks in the modules. The popups, etc. work by doing a live reading of the contents of the "cell" the cursor is over at the time, but links can be incorperated. I plan on adding them soon. I will post the details when they are finalized.

2. All the foriegn texts will now be true utf-8 Unicode. The modules with Hebrew/Greek will have to be converted from xml to utf-8 unicode, but that is not an issue. I have a converter to do it. This change will solve several issues such as searching, etc. The raw texts must be either ANSI or UTF-8. Latin1, etc., are no linger used.

I have other ideas for the future, Lord willing. Like a full interlinear (multiple row) display and such. I would very much appreciate your help.

Hopefully, in a few days the beta will be up with some modules in the updated format (TRi, GTR, German, Spanish, etc.) and I believe they will work more as you expect.
Tim Morton

J.N.Mouthaan

Post by J.N.Mouthaan »

Thank you for your reaction.
Nice to read that version 3.8 is coming soon.
That you work first on de windows and after that on the linux version due to popularity, I understand.
When you have more time availiable, we can discuss our plans, the Lord willing, for the future.
Thank you for the much time you spend on this important subject. God bless you in all your work.

With kind regards,

Johan