Using the Parallel Bibles Feature

Suggestions and Ideas about new features
MPaul

Using the Parallel Bibles Feature

Post by MPaul »

I want to do a parallel bible study of the Tyndale, Geneva, Bishops, and King James bibles to determine the influence of prior bibles on the King James, and in general these translations in succession, but especially to discern Tyndale's influence on bible translation and Shakespeare.

What better software for my study than BA? There is a nice parallel bible feature in BA. And there is a module with all these versions, plus Coverdale and Wycliff: so at the same time I can review how these versions influenced Tyndale. (I guess I should make a comment at FaceBook). (Hmm... but how can I include Luther's influence on Tyndale, as I do not know German. And how do I include the Latin Vulgate's influence on him, since I have not read Latin in decades. But that's OK – I'll do as much as I can.)

The problem is, I do not really know how to use the parallel bible feature in BA. And I cannot find out what I need to know in Help.

So I downloaded the module of the neat old bible translations. I made a new folder in the bible folder of BA, and moved all the bibles I was not going to use into it. They still all showed. So I moved the folder to the desktop. Two Avs still came up, and the ASV, and the KJ2000, which were no longer in the bible folder. Oh well.

There must be an easier way. I want to set what bibles appear in the parallel columns and in what order. How do I do that? If I can figure it out, this is going to be a lot of fun, so thank you very much for any help.

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Using the Parallel Bibles Feature

Post by Tim »

Bible Analyzer will look in 3 places for modules:

1. Under the \ProgramData\Bible Analyzer\Modules folder (Vista, 7). Modules do not have to been in the corresponding folder in v4
2. In an optional Modules folder under the application folder, C:\Program Files\Bible Analyzer 4\Modules. This folder is only necessary with a portable installation.
2. Under the Documents/Bible Analyzer User Folder; the default folder for user created modules.

The easiest way to not load certain modules is to use the Library Manager in Preferences. Just uncheck the Bibles you don't want to load. You can also move the ones you don't want to another folder that is not under any of the 3 above.

In the Parallel View the AV will always be in the left most column, but you can adjust the position of the others by renaming the module files in an alpha or numerical order. Like,
1-wycliff.bib
2-tyndale.bib
etc.

The av1769.bib file should not be renamed. Bible Analyzer won't start without it.

Hope this helps your studies.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

As a matter of record, I post now the results of following the instructions for bible position in parallel viewing. To keep the experiment simple, I removed all bibles from the module folder except AV1769, Geneva, Bishops, Tyndale. Without name changes they appeared in the parallel viewer in the order of – AV with duplicate verses, Bishops, Tyndale, Geneva, AV with no entries. Thus, it appears that the entries for the second AV transferred to the first AV, creating the duplicate entries.

On renaming the bibles, (1-tyndale.bib, 2-geneva.bib, 3-bishops), they appeared in the order of – AV with duplicate verses , Tyndale, Geneva, AV with no entries, Bishops with no entries.

Recall, I am a Unbuntu 10.04 user; so maybe, Linux has something to do with how things came out. However, I can do my study just fine with the original parallel display: so it does not matter.

For what it is worth, I think there should be a paragraph in the software somewhere indicating the basis of the preference for the AV1769, stipulation of what the other AV is, and notation of which AV is whatever as they appear in display.

Thanks for the help in increasing my knowledge and ability with the software.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, Linux behaves differently, sometimes. Also, v3.9 will behave differently that 4.1. The modules are also in different places than in Windows. See the "Linux Matters" forum for more details.

If there are two AVs (unless one of them is the AV1611) there is still an extra AV module somewhere. It could be in the usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules folder or under the home/ folder. There are three Bible Analyzer AV modules, the 1611 edition (av1611.bib), the 1769 edition (av1769.bib) and the 1769 with Strong's numbers (av1769s).

The preference for the AV1769 is because we believe it to be the standard Bible. With all the versions designed to replace it, it is still number two in sales and distribution after 400 years. Only the heavily advertized NIV has more yearly distribution. Except for spelling and punctuation the 1769 is virtually identical to the original 1611 edition.

We will look into the Linux edition of Bible Analyzer as we get time.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I cannot find another av.bib file. I did a search using the OS search tool, and the av1769 came up, but nothing under av1611.bib, or av1769s.bib, or just av. So there is something weird. Another thing I did different is that I installed under shane2peru's ppa. In May, most likely, I'll go to Ubuntu 11.04, which will wipe the partition, so we'll see what happens then. I'll make a post on it.

I tried a parallel display with the av1769, kj2000, and akjv, and it came up as av with one entry on each verse, kj2000, av with no entries, and akjv with no entries. (I think I'm going to give up on the kj2000 and go with akjv for my third alternative).

I do not mind these clitches at all. BA is still nice software for the lot that does work. But I like to find out how things go. I could use BA in Windows, but that would just mean constantly pounding on ctrl+alt+delete.

I'll pray for everything to work out in Linux at the right time. I still give BA a plug when I can. There are some articles in the software I do not really agree with, but that's OK, and it's good to have a representation of those positions handy.

Do you think if I got the Scrivener text in Windows and installed it in the Ubuntu module, it would display well -- I don't know about the Greek? I don't see this module is ready in Linux yet. But I hate to do anything in Windows, so I may just be patient.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Ok, I'll look and see what may be causing the blank verses. Are you using v3.9 or 4.1?

Scrivener should display, but it may need a different TT font.
Tim Morton

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I'm using 4.1, which came as an update under PPA. Then, there was another update, but I did not see how the second changed anything.

In the default layout of the bible window, there are two AVs. Comparing them, I just do not see any difference in the verses. So, is the av1769 displaying twice? In the Manage Resource Library, the AV displays twice, grayed out.

I found out how to add TT fonts in Ubuntu. I went to the Home Folder and created a new file -- .fonts. Then, I just added any TT fonts I wanted and they displayed in any word processor. So, I guess they would be read by BA as well. As I recall, the BA home page has a special Greek TT font to download for Greek bibles. I'll check this out later and post any questions.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

PROBLEM SOLVED -- essentially

I got to thinking what you said about BA will not start if AV1769 is renamed. And it appears twice. So I took it out of the modules folder. And BA started. And there was then only one AV bible showing. And the parallel bible feature worked perfectly. And by renaming the bibles, they appear in the order as numbered. WONDERFUL!!!!

OK, so now we have to wonder, why does the AV1769 appear in the software, if the file itself is not in the BA program. It might have something to do with the wonderful anointing the AV has. But I'll let you figure that out, as everything works just fine now. Hmmm... if somehow I put it in twice when I was adding modules, it still has to show up on a search if I removed one. Hmmm..... but it does not -- just the one where I moved it to a "holding bibles" file on the Desktop.

Now I understand why programmers get paid so much.

Praise God!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Glad its working. The file has to be hiding somewhere.

Maybe programmers do get paid a lot, but we wouldn't know. We are more just coding "hacks" that anything else, :)
Tim Morton

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Tim wrote:The file has to be hiding somewhere.
And there are two ASVs. But at least the hidden one can be unchecked in the Manager Resource Library.

Just thought you would like to know.

If I put the second ASV back in the Bible module and change its name to a numbered sequence, it appears out of sequence but next to the other ASV.

Also, in doing a file search in Ubuntu, files with a dot appearing before the name do not come up. So maybe these bibles have a dot before the name.

Just passing on the info. Maybe, these hidden files are just in Linux, or just in my computer due to something about the installation. Maybe, it has something to do with the PPA install.